The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guys, what kind of cans were being used around '82?
Old 17th May 2012
Gear Addict

Guys, what kind of cans were being used around '82?

I'm too young, I have no idea what was being made. What were the common headphones to find in larger LA commercial studios? (RCA, Westlake, Capitol, etc.)

Were there cans considered a little nicer, a little lower end, something middle of the road?
Old 17th May 2012
Lives for gear

One would be the AKG 240. Still a studio standard.
Old 17th May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioGaff View Post
One would be the AKG 240. Still a studio standard.
AKG 240 and 140's, Beyer 100's, Koss Pro4aa, early Sony prosumers...
Old 18th May 2012
Lives for gear

Beyer DT100, and they sounded ****e. But they can take a beating and spares are easy to get.
Old 18th May 2012
Lives for gear

I was using AKG 140s and some Beyers (I can't remember their model number).

Dennis
Old 18th May 2012
Gear Addict

In addition to what has already been listed, I can remember some Yamaha YH-1s in the control area. For us, 240s ruled. Still do...
Best.
Byll
Old 18th May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mappee View Post
Fostex T-20's were prolific at some point in 80's. I just tried a pair of these against 7506 sony's and the difference is not slight. Today's equipment is designed so bright it will shorten your years in the industry.
You're right but it was later in the '80s. The T20 was a big step forward from the 240's and certainly the Beyers. The T20 got loud and had bass, and had a replaceable cord. The cords on the 240's always failed, and were a PITA to fix. The DT100 is just dark... We always gave the T20's to the Bass Players and Drummers. I'm thinking it was more like 1986-88 that the T20 started appearing, with some new Fostex distro in the US. None of them survived the dreaded 5-6 ft drop onto a parquet floor well. If you hit the T20 just right it shattered the ear cups or sheared off the cup mounts. I agree that the 7506 is painful. Now we use the Shure 440/840 a lot for a balance of cost/performance/warranty/durability.

best-
Jonathan
Old 18th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byll View Post
In addition to what has already been listed, I can remember some Yamaha YH-1s in the control area.
Wow, haven't thought about those in ages...but I owned a pair of YH-100's right around that time. (Used them at home though, not in the studio.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
The T20 was a big step forward from the 240's and certainly the Beyers. The T20 got loud and had bass, and had a replaceable cord. The cords on the 240's always failed, and were a PITA to fix. The DT100 is just dark... We always gave the T20's to the Bass Players and Drummers. I'm thinking it was more like 1986-88 that the T20 started appearing, with some new Fostex distro in the US. None of them survived the dreaded 5-6 ft drop onto a parquet floor well. If you hit the T20 just right it shattered the ear cups or sheared off the cup mounts.
I worked for a pro audio dealer in '85-86 and our party line on Fostex versus AKG cans was: "The Fostex is easier to repair than the AKG...which is important, because the Fostex is more likely to require repair."
Old 20th May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
Wow, haven't thought about those in ages...but I owned a pair of YH-100's right around that time. (Used them at home though, not in the studio.)

I worked for a pro audio dealer in '85-86 and our party line on Fostex versus AKG cans was: "The Fostex is easier to repair than the AKG...which is important, because the Fostex is more likely to require repair."
HA! Awesome...
Old 20th May 2012
Gear Guru

I had some Audio Technica electrostatic headphones at that time, they had a converter box and had to be hooked up to the main speaker outputs. Great for checking my mixes, they were a bit bass shy, but the clarity was amazing.
Old 20th May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephonic View Post
Beyer DT100, and they sounded ****e. But they can take a beating and spares are easy to get.
What he said - London, UK
Old 20th May 2012
Motown legend

In the US it was mostly Sony V6s which blew up often but the "talent" liked them. Most people put them on their head in front of their ears. It took me several years to figure out most of my rock clients weren't deaf.
Old 20th May 2012
Gear Guru

Sennheiser HD414's were not uncommon either.

Old 20th May 2012
Motown legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
Sennheiser HD414's were not uncommon either.

That's what the Sonys replaced!
Old 20th May 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
That's what the Sonys replaced!
Ah, I was a bit behind the times, I still used them in 82.
Old 20th May 2012
Motown legend

I liked the 414s better but what the artist wants, the artist gets...
Old 20th May 2012
Gear Addict

you still see a lot of dt100s and (the far superior) dt150s today.
love both for tracking.
Old 20th May 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
I liked the 414s better but what the artist wants, the artist gets...
I wish I still had them. I've tried some new Sennheiser's of similar design and they were awful.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search