The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DIY Vocal Booth Studio Monitors
Old 2nd June 2006
Gear Addict

DIY Vocal Booth

I am interested in building a vocal booth. I don't want to spend $4000 ground for a whisperroom. Are there any DIY guides on the internet so I can build my own booth.
thanks
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

yes.

<a href="http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/index.php?sid=710eb81cc67c24cf7a170700edee33d4">John Sayers Forum</a>

and we could offer more help if you were more specific about size, location, purpose, and budget.
Old 2nd June 2006
Gear Guru

are you looking for 100% iso? If so you might end up spending way more then $4000.00 or close to it.

Glenn
Old 2nd June 2006
Gear Addict

I would need a booth that was 4' x 4'
It is for proffesional recordings in my home studio. I prefer to work from home. I thought I might be able to build it way cheaper than $4000
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

You can buy what looks like a good quality pre-fab one for less than $4,000 if you are feeling lazy and/or might need to relocate at some point (these booths flat-pack).

Have a look here - www.vocalbooth.com

Actually I'm considering one of these myself - any satisfied gearslutz out there?
Old 2nd June 2006
Gear Addict

Actaully I would like to build soimething like the pre-fab ones. so I can move it if needed.
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

I would build my own. I haven't priced it, but I'm sure you could do it for much less.

make the walls out of at least a layer of mdf and a layer of drywall, fiberglass or foam on the inside, capet or paint on the outside, and metal edging/brackets to hold it all together... double paned window (could even be plexiglass) and a solid door (you could even cut the door out of the side of the wall and use the same material, as long as it's thick enough for the latch. keep the hole for the wiring small and make a box inside to mount panel jacks to... you could use super quiet fans with a baffled/folded duct if you wanted to get fancy.

If you're handy with things, do it -- you could save money. If you're not... well... spend.
Old 2nd June 2006
Gear Addict

I've been looking into building a vocal booth as well. I came accross these plans, which could be an interesting option:

www.projectstudiosolutions.com

I haven't seen the actual plans yet, but they seem pro in terms of non-parallel walls, ventilation, materials and able to be dis-assembled and re-assembled again and again etc.

Let me know what you think. In anycase, keep us posted on your progress - I'd love to learn from your mistakes

heh

Rez
Old 2nd June 2006
Gear Addict

Are you wanting just a dead space, or does it need to be acoustically isolated from everything else?
Old 3rd June 2006
Gear Addict

I want to be able to record vocals and hear it through my NS-10 or without people talking leaking into the mic. It does not have to be perfect but do a good job
thanks
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

hell that can be done pretty easy. Frame it and add a few layers of sheetrock, rockwool, solid core door, tempered glass. . you'll also need to add a cooling system. But 4x4 is tight man ....the booth's acoustics will effect the mic/vocal sound too.

100% iso.....is it really needed? you could always "NOT" monitor at high volumes when tracking. and you still might get headphone bleed into the takes.heh
Old 3rd June 2006
Gear Addict

I think you'll regret building it just 4x4. That was my initial plan also, and then I taped the area off on the floor and put a chair inside and thought, "Man, it'd be great if it was a little bigger so I could record acoustic guitar in here!" I ended up with abotu 5x6. Doesn't sound like a big difference, but it's 30 sq. ft. as opposed to 16. I just threw up some walls, and covered most of the inside with rigid fiberglass (covered with fabric) and some foam. I got a small triple pane window for free, and wired up some XLRs and 1/4 inch jacks in the wall to connect inside to out. I also put LED lighting on the inside. I didn't install ventillation and so the LEDs mean that it stays much cooler. Virtually no heat from those things, especially when compared to incandescant bulbs.
Old 4th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Dude, I own a construction Co. as well as a studio....I built a soundproof booth under $600.
If you need help and or design info....contact me...
[email protected]
I also built a drum booth (8x10) under $1500.
You can see pics of that at:
www.MiddletownTrax.com
The drum booth is pictured in the website but the vocal booth isn't.
I could send pics of it if you want.
Paul
Old 7th June 2006
Hi Paul, sent you an email, but if you wouldn't mind posting some info for everyone, that would be sweet! Nice looking drum booth, BTW. How's is working as far as sound?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search