The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ever recorded a theramin?
Old 2nd June 2006
Gear Addict

ever recorded a theramin?

any tips?
Old 2nd June 2006
Pick someone that is used to fretless instuments or trombone to play it..

Murder for a novice to get to grips with.. v hard to keep on pitch

No recording tips... sorry....
Old 2nd June 2006
Gear Addict

arg... cheers jules, they're pretty musically competent...i just thought...."how the f**k???"
Old 2nd June 2006
Gear Maniac

I had to record a theramin once-it was kind of interesting. The one main problem I had was trying to getting the theramin speaker far enough away from the player so that I wouldn't catch the swishing noises of his clothes when he moved his arms. He had two theramins, one was a really old tube theramin that had a cool vibe but it had some technical issues and so did the speaker he was using with it. He also had one of the newer Moog ones, and I ended up just plugging direct into a 1272>convertors i think. Be sure to watch your gain, because if the players volume hand changes drastically you will clip everything and it will be highly unenjoyable. They can be kind of fun, but totally a one trick pony and get very annoying to record after a short period of time esp. if the player has pitch issues, or your track has some slightly out of tune instruments in it. yay for cheesy vintage horror movie sounds.
Good luck,
-R-
Old 2nd June 2006
Deleted User
"Theremin" was a word yesterday in the national spelling bee championship. The girl spelled it wrong too... Just like you guys...

It was on ESPN, and I was waiting for clients to show up...
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

Autotune with a slow attack can help if they can't play it worth a ****.

Use a DI depending on the level of the output of the Thermin. Turn off the computer monitors if possible for the recording, or move it around to get the least noise from it. They can be VERY sensitive and pick up a ton of stuff.

The first time I really tried playing one for a bit was a Moog one that I checked out from Berklee and used in one of their labs (full of computers and synths, etc...). It was nearly impossible to use, because of all the RF signals in the room. Oh yea, turn off your cell phone while using it?

Think of it as a super sensitive single coil guitar.
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

I always record mine direct.
Keep it away from everything and in the middle
of the room. Small movements with your hands
and body work better than grand gestures.

Good luck!
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

Don't compress, the volume changes are a big part of it's expression. I'd tend to go through an amp (if it doesn't have it's own) rather than DI to give it some physicality, but as always it depends on what the song calls for.

One of my favorite session quotes comes from recording Neil Young playing a Theremin a couple years ago. "you gotta be a crazy man to try to play one of these things.....Gimme another track."
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

i have a two theremins (one of them homemade! ) and i always record them direct, usually into a calrec 1061. i then add some subtle slapback delay. they are REALLY hard to play correctly. auto tune will be a near-must for the uninitiated (and even the semi-initiated).
Old 3rd June 2006
I've recorded a theremin several times. Most often I end up going direct. A Fender Super Reverb or Bassman ((4x10) are good choices if you want to amp it.
I had a session where we recorded theremin AND bowed saw in the same day. pretty cool.
ben
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studilaroche
I've recorded a theremin several times. Most often I end up going direct. A Fender Super Reverb or Bassman ((4x10) are good choices if you want to amp it.
I had a session where we recorded theremin AND bowed saw in the same day. pretty cool.
ben
BSS DI worked better for me than Jensen or Countryman DI's into a NEVE 1084 Pre. No Compression!
Old 3rd June 2006
Gear Maniac

If the subject is recording Theremins, may I suggest a movie?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108323/
"Theremin: An Electronic Odyssey"

First of all, it's a really interesting film. It shows you how Theremins are meant to be played, as well as discussing their workings. Ultimately, it might help somehow in considering how to approach the instrument in a studio context.
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt Thrower
If the subject is recording Theremins, may I suggest a movie?
at the very least you will watch the crazy story that was léon theremin's life. his other inventions also blow my mind, considering the context and era in which they were produced.
-J
Old 3rd June 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Guitar
at the very least you will watch the crazy story that was léon theremin's life. his other inventions also blow my mind, considering the context and era in which they were produced.
-J
Also, there is that wild bit about the KGB kidnapping him away from his home in the USA! Plus, he married a black woman during a much less tolerant period in American history. Truly, this man was a great visionary. Plus, you can see his protege Clara Rockmore perform on the theremin Leon built for her. She's truly amazing; in her hands, the theremin sounds like some kind of electric violin. (Apparently she was originally a violin protege, but something happened that made it impossible for her to continue with it so she switched to the theremin.)

PS: Nice pic of Derek Smalls in your avatar...
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt Thrower
thanks!
-J
Old 24th July 2016
Here for the gear
I happened to record my gig last weekend I'm playing live Theremin through Korg SDD3000 delay pedal through Midimurph with tap tempo pedal connected and expression pedal on rate in, then through a Freqbox. Was super fun, no rehearsal. Listen out for that sound! https://soundcloud.com/zeta_peg/amoraim-live-teaser
Old 24th July 2016
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt Thrower View Post
Also, there is that wild bit about the KGB kidnapping him away from his home in the USA! Plus, he married a black woman during a much less tolerant period in American history. Truly, this man was a great visionary. Plus, you can see his protege Clara Rockmore perform on the theremin Leon built for her. She's truly amazing; in her hands, the theremin sounds like some kind of electric violin. (Apparently she was originally a violin protege, but something happened that made it impossible for her to continue with it so she switched to the theremin.)

Ja, check her concentration, she looks possessed

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search