The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
i love sg's...
Old 2nd June 2006
Gear Addict

i love sg's...

heh...

gibson tone shoulder-saver
volume on 8 or 9 = greasy spoon (gibson)
volume on 1 or 2 = dry chopstick (fender)
cheap 'cause nobody wants 'em

rock on.
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

I love them too. I'm not really a guitar player though. I just like the tone. I have an SG standard that someone left at my house 2 years ago that is just sitting here. Some of my favorite music was played on an SG. Frank Zappa, Pete Townsend, Tony Iomi, Angus Young. Talk about a heavy sound, geeez.
Old 2nd June 2006
C/G
Lives for gear

I really like the 61 reissue, at least the one I played a while ago. A guitar player in one of my bands just bought a new 61 reissue and I am really liking the sound of it. Now all we need is to start an ES335 appreciation thread.
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

I got an SG from 91 , and love it !

Alot of the guitarist I record show up with crap instruments , I let them use it to double their parts , my SG always saves the day .

Its the easiest guitar to play and for rock it is perfect . I run it through an Orange AD30 half stack ,
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushroomKingdom

Its the easiest guitar to play and for rock it is perfect . I run it through an Orange AD30 half stack ,
Hey, I mentioned this in the other thread; but do you guys have a hard time with the fact that SG's are neck-heavy?

When I play one, I feel like I'm fighting to keep the thing level.

But I love the sound.

Don't you feel they should have single-coil pickups?
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
A lot of them do. P-90s.
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

Lou Giordano has an SG Standard that I borrowed for a bunch of different projects back in the late 70's & early 80's, and to this day it remains the most *inspirational* guitar I've ever played. Something about that particular axe just makes me play better. Yeah it was a tad neck-heavy (though not uncomfortably so), and yeah it was a bit muddy, and yeah you could make it go out of tune by squeezing the neck... but none of that mattered when the instrument could coax surprisingly inspired music out of you. Lou, if you're reading this, DON'T EVER SELL THAT SG! Or sell it to me, please.
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

Sweet SG tone that I love every time I pop on an AC/DC or Sabbath CD.

oh yeah
Old 2nd June 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
Hey, I mentioned this in the other thread; but do you guys have a hard time with the fact that SG's are neck-heavy?

When I play one, I feel like I'm fighting to keep the thing level.

But I love the sound.

Oh yes they do, that is just one of the reasons TELES ARE BETTER.. Oh know I feel a flame war Tele vs SG coming on!!! heh

Glenn
Old 2nd June 2006
Gear Maniac

Yeah way back in the 70's when I was a touring guitarist I carried at least 3 SGs at all times.
The sound through a Marshall Stack or two was great........Had P90s on one and a triple pickup one( i think they called these Les Paul specials or something then) and one with a whammy bar....
Anyway one of the main attractions was that you could access the whole neck.... but the necks were also flimsy and the intonation would really waver from the slightest pressure.
Gradually switched to LPs....
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

I have both a custom tele-style and an sg. Oddly enough, my favorite guitar I've ever played is my '79 the sg... not even one of the cream-of-the-crop models. Picking it up after playing another guitar for a while just feels like coming home. yes, it's neck heavy, but it's got the best neck ever.
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

i love sgs and teles!

actually one of my favorite studio electric guitars at the mo is my '68 sg with t-tops wired out of phase! i've been using it on gigs a lot too.
Old 2nd June 2006
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by snedley
but the necks were also flimsy....
I knocked one over once (don't ask) onto a carpeted floor, and I heard this blood curdling *POP* and the head stock was almost completely broken off.

A buddy drops his tele from waist height onto a hard cement floor and nothing happens to it but a chip in the urethane clear coat.
Old 2nd June 2006
jdg
Lives for gear

i have a 52 les paul JR in my room right now.

LOVE IT.

oh, i love SGs too, i guess.
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg
i have a 52 les paul JR in my room right now.

LOVE IT.

oh, i love SGs too, i guess.
nice. a good friend has a '52 modified to '59 specs with pafs--it's one of the nicest playing lps i've played.
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

An interesting thread re: modern Gibsons and Gibson SG's

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...0&pagenumber=1
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Gaucher
I knocked one over once (don't ask) onto a carpeted floor, and I heard this blood curdling *POP* and the head stock was almost completely broken off.

A buddy drops his tele from waist height onto a hard cement floor and nothing happens to it but a chip in the urethane clear coat.
I've beaten mine up pretty well, but luckily it holds on.(my sg I mean) Another tele-picking friend of mine has thrown two tele's (one of them at least several times) over quite great distances when the straps came off doing the "spin the guitar around yourself" thing. One that got thrown several times is actually the blonde squier I mentioned earlier that now belongs to another friend. It sounds really good.
Old 2nd June 2006
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral
An interesting thread re: modern Gibsons and Gibson SG's

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...0&pagenumber=1

Even though I love the feel and sound of the 61 reissue, the one that a bandmate just got is going out of tune like crazy. I though it was since the guitar was brand new and basically shipped 4000 km to get here, it needed to settle in a bit due to climate change ect. Maybe I was wrong. What's up Gibson!?

I have been thinking of selling my 81 Gibson L6S deluxe to buy a 61 reissue and after reading that review, maybe I will forget about it.
Old 3rd June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
When the volume is down between 1 or 2 the tone behaves quite similar to a single-coil.
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanvacha
I have both a custom tele-style and an sg. Oddly enough, my favorite guitar I've ever played is my '79 the sg
Is that the "Firebrand" one that was like "The Paul"?
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Gaucher

I had a black "Celebrity Series" Firebird. It was nice, but I didn't really love the way it played.

One guitar tech we used took a first look at it and said "no headstock break... weird".

I guess a lot of 'em have fallen over.

I threw a tele, body first, into the drum riser at Bimbo's 365 in SF. I threw it hard and far. The tech tuned it and I used in later in the set. heh

Although that's not a reason to love a guitar.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search