The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Compressor for heavy guitars Dynamics Plugins
Old 16th May 2012
Lives for gear
Compressor for heavy guitars

I mix OTB on a console, and use outboard compression on just about everything except heavy guitars. I usually use the Massey CT4 plugin to shave off 1-2db on the rhythm guitar buss to keep the layered guitars glued together so the stereo image doesn't get out of control..... But it's time to spend money on new crap I don't need, so hit me with it.

Any suggestions for an outboard compressor that sounds good on heavy guitars? Maybe for $500-1000 used? I was thinking a pair of FMR PBC-6As, but maybe I can go a little bit more high end. I'm not looking for precision dynamics control, just some glue and character for the guitar buss at mixdown.
Old 16th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorGlory View Post
I mix OTB on a console, and use outboard compression on just about everything except heavy guitars. I usually use the Massey CT4 plugin to shave off 1-2db on the rhythm guitar buss to keep the layered guitars glued together so the stereo image doesn't get out of control..... But it's time to spend money on new crap I don't need, so hit me with it.

Any suggestions for an outboard compressor that sounds good on heavy guitars? Maybe for $500-1000 used? I was thinking a pair of FMR PBC-6As, but maybe I can go a little bit more high end....
For that price range, I would see if you could get your hands on the new Lindell Stuff. The 500 series compressor looks real nice. Had a chance to demo the it's larger brother at AES and while it wasn't a great place to demo anything, these units warrant a look. They got my attention

More money, I would look at Chandler little devil stuff, maybe a UA LA3 or even a handbuilt 1176.

Last edited by heyman; 16th May 2012 at 12:49 AM.. Reason: More stuff to talk about
Old 16th May 2012
Lives for gear

Overstayer FET stereo comp, I have two and very often I prefer them to the distressors.
Old 6th July 2012
Lives for gear

Hey, just a heads up- I just picked up an api 2500.. That thing is nice. Already used it on Bass, drum buss compression and it kills on heavy gtrs..
Old 6th July 2012
Lives for gear

Unless you find an eBay deal-of-the-century, your price cap forbids the Distressor. Which is too bad, because it's the best heavy guitar (and so much else) compressor I've ever used.
Old 6th July 2012
Lives for gear

There is no hardware in that price range I would strap on a heavy guitar.
Hardware I would strap on it: 1176, 1176 Bluey, Distressor, LA-3A.

Without that hardware, I would use plug-ins, and the first plug-in I would reach for is the T-Racks Black 76. It's got a really aggressive sound to it. My second plug-in choice (and you are hearing me clearly) is the Bomb Factory LA-3A.
My third plug-in choice is the Softube CL1B.

I said "strap on".
Old 6th July 2012
I don't have enough analog compressors for guitars at mix time but I really like the new UAD 1176 blue stripe on distorted guitars.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search