The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mult test - 1 x 8 through patchbay to apollo and api pres Condenser Microphones
Old 14th May 2012
Mult test - 1 x 8 through patchbay to apollo and api pres

So i am about to purchase a new preamp and got to thinking how it would be nice to track through my 3 different pre's and then check them in the mix so I started looking up mic splitters. Then it dawned on me the way my patchbay is setup, I can half normal the mic, then run it back through my frontend xlr patch bay which duplicates the signal sends it to the next input, which I can then half normal again until I ran out of preamps.

So I did a little test to tell if I could see any degradation of signal visually and also hear any change. What do you guys think of this idea, cause I really like that i can split all my mics to my 3 different preamps and then a/b them in the mix.

I'm not catching any change in sound but I am by no means very technical. The files start with a test tone and then an acoustic guitar recorded through a Joly modded nt1a sent through the xlr patch bay to the trs patch bay then to UA Apollo preamps 1-4 all set identical and API 3124+ preamps set as close as I could get. Apollo registered exactly even on the meters for the test tones and when I looked at the files down to the sample level, I couldnt see any difference.

All the files start with a short test tone so turn your speakers down before playing. Let me know what you guys think about the multing idea to track multiple pre's.

Download the audio files from here, zip file 43 mb
Old 14th May 2012
File is uploading, give it a few minutes if the link doesn't work yet, 43mb to upload...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search