The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Slightly Confused??
Old 1st June 2006
Here for the gear

Slightly Confused??

Hi, I am looking at purchasing an Allen and Heath GL2400 mixing desk with the intension of doing live sound and studio recording. With the studio recording i am interested in heading in the Pro Tools direction.. but there are a couple of things i'm not sure about.
Im unsure how you record through the Mixing console onto the computer and ending up with all individual tracks (e.g bass drum, snare etc...) on the computer. I think its something to do with firewire, but im not sure. I've been looking at the Digi002.. would this do me the job and would this only limit me to 8 track simultanious recording at a time?
Appreciate the Help.
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

The oo2R would limit you to 10 simultaneous tracks. 4 from the 002R preamps, 4 line inputs using your own preamps and 2 via s/pdif (ex: preamp to Rosetta 200). A Control 24 would be a better bet to use with an LE set up. I believe there is 16 inputs with that one. Although I could be wrong since I don't own or use one. I'm sure you will get some more advice here.
Old 1st June 2006
Gear Guru

Actually the 002 has an ADAT optical input for 8 more channels of digital in. You would need an additional device to convert the analog outputs of your console preamps to the optical digital format. Then you could get 16 in at once.
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

randomandy,
I've used that same board recently for a live show recording.
There are individual direct outs on every input channel. That's where you'll get a single source to a single PT track from.
These points are internal jumper selectable to either pre fader/EQ or post.
Much better sounding mic amps than the 002's internal ones. IMVHO..
Eight channels can be directly be fed to the 002, as line ins. The following eight have to be converted to ADAT optical through an additional AD converter. There are a few choices there..
At this point you can have 16 individual tracks recorded into your PT LE system.
..well 18 really with an other additional AD converter, that outputs SPDIF.

good luck,
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq
Actually the 002 has an ADAT optical input for 8 more channels of digital in. You would need an additional device to convert the analog outputs of your console preamps to the optical digital format. Then you could get 16 in at once.
Your right, I stand corrected. Ideally, what converter has an adat out with 8 channels?
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

Actually an 002 or 002r has 8 analog i/o, 8 adat i/o and 2 s/pdif i/o for a grand total of 18 when recording at 48k or less. Do the math.
Old 2nd June 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by flail19
Your right, I stand corrected. Ideally, what converter has an adat out with 8 channels?
there are tons of options
the SM pro is the cheapest I have seen at $149
the Alessis AI3 is $400 and might be a wiser choice

there are also a bunch that come with mic pres, but if you have the board already you don't need that

the Mackie Onyx series mixers have the preamps and an optional built in ADAT output as part of the mixer.

I am currently using a MOTU 2408 mkII which is acutally was an interface but works well as a stand-alone converter

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search