The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone record overheads with 2 different mics?! Condenser Microphones
Old 1st June 2006
Gear Head

Anyone record overheads with 2 different mics?!

I'm just getting a mic collection together for my studio, and to begin with I'm only going to buy 4, maybe 5 mics, and really get to know them (and the recording space) well.
With this in mind it seems a waste to buy 2 of the same mic, 1 of which will sit around doing nothing apart from drum overheads, when I could buy another mic that will give more options when recording vocals, guitars, piano etc.
What other ways are there to get a good stereo drum recording without 2 identicle overheads (and without too much close micing)?

If it's any help the mics I already own are:
Rode NT1000
SM57
AKG d224e

And I plan to buy:
MD421
Beyer M260 ribbon mic

Thanks in advance people, any opinions and ideas greatly appreciated
Old 1st June 2006
Gear Maniac

There are other occasions where a matched pair could be useful. Maybe double micing an acoustic or crowd vox. Maybe a cheap option for now would be a second hand pair of 451s. Also I would have though a different mic on each tom would be a bit wierd. 57s are cheap, which would do for now. I sometimes use additional cymbal mics for china etc, but haven't tried different mics although it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 1st June 2006
Gear Addict

In my experience different mics on OH can work fine, probably use mics that aren't TOO different; actually can accentuate the stereo image.
Old 1st June 2006
Gear Head

We've been especially fond around here of M/S overheads with a Royer 121 and a 4051.
Old 1st June 2006
Gear Maniac

I've done this before.. sounded pretty good actualy.. and they were fairly different mics (414 and an mxl v67).. after a little eq they were similar enough that it didn't sound weird.. but it still had a certain width to it. I'd definately try it again.. but wouldn't want it as my only option
Old 1st June 2006
Gear Head

Well if I was going to buy a stereo pair I'd probably get another NT1000, but it would be great if I could use the NT1000 and and the Beyer single ribbon in some kind of combination.

erm........what does M/S stand for?
Old 1st June 2006
Gear Addict

Like PopIsNotDead said, unmatched mics work great when doing M/S. I was unsure how to actually do M/S until I read this -

http://www.uaudio.com/webzine/2005/december/index4.html

It's really cool, try it!

I think you can also use an unmatched pair when you do the Glyn Johns technique (or whatever it's called).
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

It shouldn't be too big a deal since drummers use different cymbals and toms on each side.
-Brian
Old 2nd June 2006
Gear Head

Thanks for the link tvanveen thumbsup thumbsup
Old 3rd June 2006
Gear Addict

yep

i did an ep once and all i had was a rode nt 2 and an akg c3000 and i worked out fine

cheers ramjet

p.s. yeah and i would do it again
Old 3rd June 2006
Gear Maniac

I think you are dead on about building your mic collection. unless you want to do stereo recordings of ensembles or concerts, i don't think you will ever NEED matched pairs. i use different mics on the drums all the time. think of it as micing different parts of the drums with different mics instead of trying to record it as a stereo source.
Old 5th June 2006
Gear Maniac

I use a royer r-121 and akg 414 as overheads and work really well
Old 5th June 2006
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloth-Ears
erm........what does M/S stand for?
Mid Side.

It's a stereo miking technique that uses two mics & a matrix to setup & decode the signal. You'll need a figure 8 that's split to two channels & a cardiod mic up the gut...the Figure 8 is the sides & the cardiod is the middle.

Lots of articles & info out there...it's pretty handy thing to have in your bag of tricks because it offers LOTS of control over the stereo image & mono compatibility.

I've used two different mics on overheads from time to time...sometimes it's because I want the sounds they offer over different parts of kit or maybe because the shop I'm at has a limited selection of mics & I'd rather hang two different "great" mics then a pair of "average" ones...like a 47Fet & a U67 combo rather then a pair of 'flavor of the month' condensors.

I've also used a mono overhead plenty of times...sometimes with a second mic over by the ride cymbal or hats if it's needed. Its fine, nobody who listens to the music is really gonna care if the overheads are mono, stereo or matched or whatnot as long as they sound good!
Old 5th June 2006
Royer R121 and Coles 4040 here and they rock! Best overhead sounds I have ever recorded, I am a big time convert to ribbons for overheads..

As to the M/S recording, I am not a fan of M/S for overheads at all. Granted I have not tried it in years but it is definitely not my bag... YMMV of course.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search