The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Shure SM7 or Studio Projects C3? Condenser Microphones
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

Shure SM7 or Studio Projects C3?

This would be primarily for vocal work. All I've got in the large diaphragm condensor realm is an AT2020 and a pair of MXL 990's - hardly anything spectacular. Which would you guys choose?

Also, what else is the SM7 good for? I've only recently been introduced to this mic.

Thanks!
Kris
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisNY
This would be primarily for vocal work. All I've got in the large diaphragm condensor realm is an AT2020 and a pair of MXL 990's - hardly anything spectacular. Which would you guys choose?

Also, what else is the SM7 good for? I've only recently been introduced to this mic.

Thanks!
Kris
The SM7 is sorta like an EVre20 but not as common. It is Shure's Hi-Drox to EV's Oreo. Mostly the SM7 is used as a voice over announcer's mic. Think Robbin on the Howard Stern show. It can also be used as a doublebass mic or a bassdrum mic. Like most voice over mics or broadcast mics, it has a reduced proximity effect. Sometimes you might want proximity effect for vocals. Go with the Studio Projects C3 or better yet get the T3. For a few extra bucks you can get a Rode tube mic. Go over to Sam Ash, or Manny's, or Guitar Center and audition some of these things.
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

Millions of albums have been sold with the SM7 on lead vocals, and just about every top studio has one. You can't say that with the Studio Projects.
Old 31st May 2006

The SM7 is the high end of dynamic mics

the studio projects is the low end of condensers

I love my sm7

I tried the studio projects stereo mic (only as drum overheads) and returned it, too harsh sounding

I know what i would choose

oh and btw I would steer clear of rode tube mics, unles they have a nos replacement tube in which case I would gently swerve to avoid them. I also sold my ntk, I think the cheaper solid state rodes sound better than the stock tube ones. (rode classics excepted)

narco
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by narco
The SM7 is the high end of dynamic mics

the studio projects is the low end of condensers

I love my sm7

I tried the studio projects stereo mic (only as drum overheads) and returned it, too harsh sounding

I know what i would choose

oh and btw I would steer clear of rode tube mics, unles they have a nos replacement tube in which case I would gently swerve to avoid them. I also sold my ntk, I think the cheaper solid state rodes sound better than the stock tube ones. (rode classics excepted)

narco
I'll take your word for it. I've just never seen SM7 being used for vocals. I figured it was like anRE20. I havn't used the Rode or Studio Projects either, but I've heard good things about the K2 and SP T3. I figure that they might be mor versitile, being that the're multi-pattern. But clearly the SM7 is a"top of the range" dynamic and the Rode and SP are more entry level. Still, I think one should audition these mics to see what might suit their perposes.
Old 31st May 2006
SLW
Gear Head

got a SP C1 and the Shure SM7b... Im low end.. so its just another input from a nobody

like them both. They sound totally different. C1 is sounds really tuned and a lil sharp. it cuts through most mixes without doing anything. I usually dip it down in the areas it might be too much and feature it a lil lower.

I really like both. I found the SM7 to give me a real nice sound for rock vocals. its dynamic ..... it just sounds dirty without being dirty quality wise... I love it. dip in the extra presence I need and there we go!

I put them both combined with SM57 and Beta58 in front of Amps and decide from case to case... they really do different things!

dont know how c1 and c3 compare, but I guess they have the same color.

ask for a shootout in a shop or if you can take them both home.... and bring back the one you dont like.
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajfarber
I'll take your word for it. I've just never seen SM7 being used for vocals. I figured it was like anRE20..
In my experience, for every ONE person using an SM7 for broadcast, 10 people are using it for vocals.

It is a world wide used vocal mic... (of course the RE20 is also a cool vocal mic)

If I had to have only ONE mic in the world for vocals, the SM7 would be a contender for my voice.

Great on my acoustic slide also.

Much Respect,
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

I've been tracking a Chinese female singer of late, with a pretty full voice but certainly not loud or overpowering. I keep trying the SM7 on her voice, but I keep going back to a condenser, either AKGC414 or TLM103. She's pretty experienced in the studio so it's not a question of fixing a big problem. It's more that I don't like the apparent size of her voice in the recording with the SM7. It sounds a little amateurish to me. If I get her farther away from the mic, then it loses its special character. With a condenser it's easier to get the right sweet spot.

I like it in general. It has a "cushiony" thing that is really nice, like a built-in compressor. But it doesn't come out in every singer's voice.

-synthoid
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisNY

Thanks!
Kris
I've owned both... please... please get the SM7.
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

+1 for the SM7
Old 1st June 2006
Gear Addict

The SM7b is an amazing mic!!! No matter what other mics you get down the track, it will always have a place in your studio.

The other thing that hasn't been mentioned yet, is that it's great for home studio's because it takes the room out of the equation. I'm assuming you don't have a vocal booth - and while a condenser is sensative to sounds that you can hardly hear, like the rumble of a truck in the distance - the 7b will capture only your voice.

Just make sure you're right up on the mic - especially if you have a quiet singer.

Also, you'll want a great preamp to match it. That's key in getting a worldclass sound out from any mic - but especially a dynamic.

Do some searches here no the site for the SM7 and you'll see it has many, many fans - including engineers who have access to any mic they desire. I don't think the same could be said for a studio projects mic (or even a rode for that matter)... but then again it's all about what works best for you.

Rez
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

I haven't found any use for the SM7 on my vocals - I tried to like it - I have only tried it with my Mindprint DTC and A&H pre's. I think it's kind of dead sounding... Boring.

I would go for a large condenser mic.

Good luck!
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

Serj Tankian, from System of A Down, happens to use the SM7 quite a bit on their records. ...if that helps at all
Old 1st June 2006
Gear Addict

How does an SM7b pair up with a Chandler Germanium.
Does the Chandler have enough gain for the Shure?
Anyone try this combination yet?
Old 1st June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickstein
How does an SM7b pair up with a Chandler Germanium.
Does the Chandler have enough gain for the Shure?
Anyone try this combination yet?
I'd be very interested in hearing about this as well. I've read in a previous post saying that gain isn't a problem - though the germ does have less gain than many pre's.

Would be great to hear thoughts on the 'SM7b - - > Germanium' combo for vocals though - in terms of tone etc.

Not wanting to hyjack the thread though.

Rez
Old 1st June 2006

I have an sm7, and have recently used the germanium - but not with the sm7. knowing the sound of the two I would IMAGINE (not very helpful I know) that they would go together well.

Somebody above mentioned that the sm7 is "boring" sounding. the thing to remember if you go with the sm7 is that it is a dynamic mic, it won't have the detail of a decent condenser, but often (especially in the case of male rock vocals) the dynamic sound will be what you want.

As far as leakage goes, I have found the opposite of an above post, that is, it picks up more off axis than other shure dynamic mics, this is particularly noticeable when using it on snare. This can be good or bad depending on how you approach it.

I bought my sm7 because of this forum. Its not out of place amongst my neumans, josephsons, blues, royers, charter oaks..

narco
Old 2nd June 2006
germanium/sm7

The Germanium w/the SM7B didn't do it for me. I just tried it and couldn't get a good vocal sound. Very dark, not enough gain.

SM7 w/a cleaner, higher-output pre is still kickass, and I'm in love w/the Germanium with other mics. Looking forward to tracking guitars w/it..
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

Not even close. SM7.
Old 11th June 2006
Gear Addict

The film clip for We Are The World has many an SM7 up in that shizzle.
Old 11th June 2006
Lives for gear

-1 for the SP
i dont want to take anything away from every1s praise for the SM7 as i havnt used one but i would look at other options aswell just not the C1/C3 they have some uses but overall i dont like them
Old 11th June 2006
Lives for gear

I would go the Sm7 as well. The C series Studio Projects has way to much high end push. So it works or not depending on what high end or "s" word you use. Like a lot of cheaper mics they have the top end already boosted to sound more like a EQ'd track. Although if you sing where the EQ is already pushed they distort. The B Series I like actually better, have a couple or B1's around as utilty mics. Still 2D sounding.

I would get a SM7 and maybe a B1 as well.
It really depends, if its for your voice see what suits you best.
I went through trying a M149, Shineybox, B1, MD431,57, M160 on a singer yesterday. For her voice the MD431 sounded best. Today on a male vocalist the Shineybox, last week the M149 worked for both the male and female vocalists.
Nice to have a choices.
Old 11th June 2006
Gear Nut

The SM7 is a definite 'must have' for your mic locker. Perfect for an edgy, rock-screamer type of voice. You can even track vocals in the control room! Needs as much gain as a ribbon, so a good clean pre will make it shine.

My only experience with Chinese mics are when people bring them in my studio. Don't like 'em. The few I've heard sound a little 'grainy' (another word we have to intrepret). BTW, I monitor with S3-As which reveal distortion(s) pretty dramatically.

David Brown
Old 11th June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by narco

I bought my sm7 because of this forum. Its not out of place amongst my neumans, josephsons, blues, royers, charter oaks..

narco
Count another vote for getting the SM7b. The above quote is right on,..........my SM7 will always have a place in my mic collection, where the couple of purchases I made years ago of cheap condensors (no names they are all kind of the same and you mentioned you already have some) have long since been replaced by Gefells, Soundelux' AEA, etc......

IMO a member of the "best of the LD Dynamic mic" club is the obvious choice here. If you want to audition the competition look at the RE20, 421/441, or a Heil PR40. All of these mics are dynamics and all are excellent.

Stephen
Old 11th June 2006
Lives for gear

SM7 for sure. And i would take an AKG C3000B anytime over a C1 or an C3 if you would buy a LDC. They are in the same pricerange.
Old 11th June 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks for the comments.

After a bit of further review (and working more hours ) I believe i'm going to get an SM7 as well as an MXL V69. This should give me some options.
Old 11th June 2006
Lives for gear

Although you've already made your decision...I too agree that the SM7 is the way to go. I think good dynamic mics are highly underrated. How come the Chinese haven't started making RE20 and SM7 clones yet???

Regarding the harshness of the C1 and C3. IMHO this is easily corrected by replacing the capsule to FET capacitor with a 1000 pF polystyrene cap. It's a 10 minute mod and really smooths out the high end nicely, while still retaining the openess.

Brad
Old 11th June 2006
Gear Nut

A few weeks ago I was looking at the SM7b, RE20, and a couple of other mics. After reading several posts/threads, I was convinced that the SM7 was going to be my mic. So I ordered one, along with an RE20 and, yes, an SM57. This was all for my voice.

Surprise, surprise, I did not like the SM7 all that much. I do believe all the praise it gets. It is a nice mic indeed. But on my voice, I preferred the RE20. A bigger surprise was that I liked the humble old SM57 just as much as the SM7 -- again, on my voice.

If you can do a shootout, either at home or at a store, do yourself a favor and audition more than one mic. My shootout included the three mics listed above plus two others I already owned. Based on my research, I expected the RE20 to come in dead last. But it won first place.

Goes to show that you never know till you try for yourself. At the very least, compare the SM7 with the SM57 ($260 cheaper) just to see what each does for you. Also, if you haven't already, take this microphone "blind taste test" and see what catches your ear.
Old 12th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeak
Also, if you haven't already, take this microphone "blind taste test" and see what catches your ear.
that's a great site. thanks!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search