The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Apollo/UFX/Ensemble & ITB mixing for electronic music
Old 8th May 2012
Gear Nut

Apollo/UFX/Ensemble & ITB mixing for electronic music

Alright guys... I'm new to the forums but have been following posts here for advice and info for a very long time. I live for gear and come from a DJ background but around 4-5yrs ago started producing my own tracks because I got bored of just DJ'ing.

I need advice:

I'm looking at upgrading my audio interface.. I currently use an Apogee Duet 1 which I've had for about a year (before that was using a gen 1 Motu Ultralite). Thing is, I hate the breakout cable and I'm quite pissed off that roughly a month after I bought the Duet, Apogee introduced the Duet 2.. nice.

Anyway.. All the tracks I've produced are all mixed ITB.. ie using the DAW as my main mixer. I never really record guitar or vocals and my style of music is all electronic (trip hop to tech) in which 90% of the time I work with MIDI but want to play more with audio samples etc. I'd like to have the option to plug in the outs of my MPC, Virus and/or Machinedrum at some point (now I use them all in Midi mode).. and I'm wondering whether or not its worth shelling out the dough for either:

- Apollo quad (great way to get into UAD plugs, ive never used them, TB)
- RME UFX (very solid, standalone recording, many ins/outs)
- Apogee Ensemble (legendary but OLD, ensemble 2 anyone?, no midi)

Away from latency and potential additional DSP, how important is the Audio Interface for ITB producing? Someone please remind me bec I tend to go overkill with gear and I know that the Duet AD/DAs are pretty decent as is.

The Duet sound is obvsly decent enough, but I just want to have more routing options and to allow for further expansion/usage down the road. I'm bored of Duet -> Computer -> DAW -> Duet -> Genelec Out 1&2 and I feel like banging my head against the wall every time I see the breakout cable.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search