The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
If guitar is 57...
Old 8th May 2012
Lives for gear

If guitar is 57...

what would you use to mic up a very nice huge ampeg speaker with trace elliot head for a very heavy sound (heavy metal, nu metal etc.)?

Ok split with DI but what for the amp?
Old 8th May 2012
Are you distorting the amp (pedal or similar)?

Do you want the lowend, midrange of the amp? What from the DI? What's the tuning of the instruments? 5 or 4 string? Playing with a plec or with the fingers?

Do you have a demo recording of the band?

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9100 mit Tapatalk
Old 8th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post
Are you distorting the amp (pedal or similar)?

Do you want the lowend, midrange of the amp? What from the DI? What's the tuning of the instruments? 5 or 4 string? Playing with a plec or with the fingers?

Do you have a demo recording of the band?

sometimes distorting (hughes and kettner warp or similar) sometimes "clean" (saturated).

Both 5 and 4 string bass, therefore some songs tuned to lower A, some into Standard D or E.

I have full produced albums of the band. but this time I need to record this amp. As well as an Ashdown.

Which mic would you use it? RE20? D112? SM57? u87? or what?

In my experiments I had good result in past with a D11 from AKG (which is inexpensive) and D112. but as well with a 57.

I'd like to archive a full sound with possibly mid-high end very solid and tight lows.

The bass guitar are fender, BC rich, H+B
Old 8th May 2012
Tough question. U87 for the midrange topend and something like a d6 (audix) would be my choice.

Old 8th May 2012
RE-20...

To get mid low fullness drive...
Old 8th May 2012
Gear Maniac

i love the sE titan for a big punchy bass sound. solid low end, smooth mids and clean top end. i like to blend it complement it with an MD421 which i think sounds smoother than a 57 but doesn't have as much punch or grit.

Whatever route you go, you can't go wrong with a LDC, a dynamic, and a DI. I'm not a huge fan of D112's as a main bass mic as it always sounds a little scooped to me, but it can work really well with a condenser where the D112 picks up the real low end and the LDC gets everything else.
Old 8th May 2012
Lives for gear

I sometimes use a DIY subkick with a 6" speaker in addition to a LDC for a 15" speaker of my bass cab.
Old 8th May 2012
Here for the gear

AKG D112, Shure Beta52A and Sennheiser MD 421 are my favourites. I try to avoid using condenser mics. Blending with a SansAmp works very well.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search