The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dent to Tweet Cone....Is this a problem?
Old 31st May 2006
Gear Head

Dent to Tweet Cone....Is this a problem?

I was considering buying a pair of monitors for my small home studio, and there is a dent in one of the tweeter cones. Would this affect its function at all?

It's a good price, but not if the dent to the cone is signifcant to its performance?

Mackies hr 824

Thanks if you can help me
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

I had a pair of cheap bookshelf speakers that got the tweeter dented when I moved once. I actually used them for critical listening, and it definitely affected the sound of that speaker. The tweeter still had output, but it was very muted. One of the original Alesis M1's at school seems to have the same problem. Even if the dent in the Mackie's tweeter affects the sound, don't write that purchase off. I can't imagine that a replacement tweeter will be expensive enough to kill the deal. Just make sure that you ARE getting a good enough deal on the monitors and that this whole thing is taken into account on the seller's price.
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

a tweeter dent is most likely to affect the dispersion... i had a kef q1 dual concentric speaker for home listening and the imaging was damn weird because of the dent in one of the tweeters...

replacement tweeters don't cost too much in my experience, tho' i don't know about the mackies...
Old 31st May 2006
I heard that you can use a vacuum cleaner to

a) suck the dent 'out'
b) probably totally RUIN the tweeter altogether

File under 'hair brained gonzo gear repair ideas'
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=Jules]I heard that you can use a vacuum cleaner to suck the dent 'out'

That sounds like a little too much force. I usually use a piece of masking tape
to gently pull out the recessed part of the dome.
Old 31st May 2006
Gear Head

Thanks Guys

I think I'll just pass on these and wait for ones that are in good shape

But I do wonder what kind of monitors I should be looking for.

At present, I own event 20/20 bas monitors.
I have had nothing else to compare to, and I'm looking for the biggest bang for the dolloar type monitors. I do not have an acoustically treated room, and I am a home recordist and I will refrain from even thinking of using the word engineer.

I thought the mackies affordable and possibly a step up from the Event 20/20.

Any ideas ?

Thanks
Old 1st June 2006
Gear Head

Bump
Old 2nd June 2006
[QUOTE=Phil Cibley]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules
I heard that you can use a vacuum cleaner to suck the dent 'out'

That sounds like a little too much force. I usually use a piece of masking tape
to gently pull out the recessed part of the dome.
That one sounds a little better to me. And it IT doesn't work, there's always the Hoover...
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

If you ever run into a dented tweeter, try this:
1. get a piece of adhesive tape (some good one, 3M or the like, not the cheap one - they leave glue)
2. apply it to the dented part of the tweeter, very gently - maybe use a q-tip...make the tape stick firmly...and leave a inch for step three
3.pull that tape off quickly but with feeling - voilà!

If in doubt how to, try it on any old speaker you can trash. This works fine also for dented 12" and any speaker with a usual cone. Report your work on this thread, break out the digicams.
Old 2nd June 2006
Gear Head

I've heard of that tape trick. However, I am opting out of the Mackies, dented tweeter or not.

Despite having those that love them, I find more than don't. This is about making good mixes, not necessarily hearing what I want to hear from my favorite Beatles track.

Having said that, what don't and do the users of Event 20/20 like. In what way has this particular monitor affected your mixes?

That leaves the bm15's or something else. What then might I look for, possibly used, that will hit that sweet spot for a good monitor vs. price point.

How about the a7's that are coming out? I don't know much btw about the dynaudio. But someone did mention the other day to me about the JBL that I guess you can tweak to a mixing room that isnt treated, as mine is not.
Old 4th June 2006
Gear Head

Bump
Old 4th June 2006

You may try a new thread if you want input on the 20/20.....

I have fixed dented tweeters before, but I usually remove the driver form the cabinet. Once it's out, you can remove the faceplate and voice coil/dome assembly.

Then, you can push the dent out from the backside....

-tINY

Old 4th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules
I heard that you can use a vacuum cleaner to

a) suck the dent 'out'
b) probably totally RUIN the tweeter altogether

File under 'hair brained gonzo gear repair ideas'
Jules:

I've actually done this a couple of times. You gotta be careful, but in some cases, there's no sticky stuff that'll work because you have to apply some amount of pressure to get the sticky stuff to stick in the first place, and you're probably gonna make it worse by pressing that hard.

But I figured out a technique to get the vacuum thing to work.

Obviously you're gonna take any attachments off of the hose.

Use your hand at the end of the hose to create the seal between the vacuum and the driver.

By keeping your hand fairly open, you can decrease the amount of suction that the driver gets.

Then slowly start closing your hand to increase the suction.

Repeat until the driver is convex again.

Quoting portions of the above out of context may result in pr0n.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search