The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Someone with lots of microphone experience
Old 31st May 2006
Gear Head

Someone with lots of microphone experience

Yes I am an yet another Aussie guy who doesn't have the luxury of trying lots of mics before I buy them so......

Please help shed some light of the following for me. I need to buy 1 LDC, 2 SDC (Matched) and a ribbon mic. So far my choices are

LDC Peluso 2247 LE (Vox)
SDC Peluso CEM-C6, Geffell M300's, Schoeps CMC6 Cardioid (Overheads, other instruments)
Ribbon Peluso R14, AEA R92, Royer 141 (Guitars, Vox)

Now I know that the Gefell & Schoeps are much more expensive than the Peluso stuff but how much difference is in it? If I can help it I don't want to spend that much. My budget is more around

LDC Peluso 2247 LE
SDC Peluso CEM-C6
AEA R92

I have a very edgy white boy thing happening in my and can never find a mic that flatters that part of my range. It seems that the 22 47 Le would be a good choice for that price. Should I save my pennies? Does anyone have some suggestions as to what would be the best choice based on their direct experience? I would so appreciate some feedback on this guys. Thanks :-)
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

Your 2nd set of mics seems appropriate - some might suggest the Peluso 251 over the 47 for your type of voice, but I love his 47s.
Old 31st May 2006
Gear Head

Ok I will bear that in mind, from what I have read (a terrible way to buy things) the 251 is quite suited to Female vox. It has an airy top and I thought it may bring out that honky thing that i just can't seem to get rid of.

I have been singing for a long time so it's not about my vocal chords being restricted and strained. Its just the natural timbre of my voice.

I am always impressed with some of the tones Thom York achieves given he can display some of the same characteristics just in a different way.

Maybe I should post some accapella of my voice and get some slutz opinions. Mind you it would be through less that desirable signal path given my humble set up. At least it would give people some idea of what I'm talking about. What do you think slutz??
Old 2nd June 2006
Gear Head

Would anyone be interested in me posting a sample or have any suggestions about the post? Thanks guys
Old 2nd June 2006

Look at the Earthworks SR25 and SR30 as well as the AKG C451. The AT4051 is worth looking at if you want a little rise to the high-end.

To tame your voice, you might consider an RE20 or SM7.

Not too familiar with ribbons....

You might just buy a couple of HM-1 from Kel - they are so inexpensive and useful it's a no-brainer.

-tINY

Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick96
I thought it may bring out that honky thing that i just can't seem to get rid of.
Are you referring to the "edgy white boy thing" in your first post?

heh
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

The Schoeps are stunning, accurate mics. For the $$, on OHs, you had better be doing something STUNNING. (Got a lot of hand percussion? Congas, tombas, tympani? really well tuned set with a jazz player? Then OK, spend the dough . Otherwise...personally, I'd get a matched pair of ribbons to do OHs AND guitars, unless you track them together. It just seems that you are looking for VALUE (Peluso) and the Schoeps is a name mic with a name price... around 3k for a matched pair. Don't get me wrong, they are wonderful...but seem to be a different style than your other choices.

As far as vox & guitar, I adore the AEA mics, though I was quite impressed by the Royer active ribbon on guitar cab when it was baffled on the backside (making it inherently cardioid).

Hope this helps.

Jim

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search