The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
SSL Users
Old 7th May 2012
Lives for gear

SSL Users

Hey Slutz,

Was hoping someone with knowledge of SSL Consoles could assist.

A colleague of mine has just recently asked for a "proper" definition about the difference between Record Buss & Mix Buss.
I can't seem to articulate the correct wording (not my strength)to pass on to my colleague and was hoping someone had an official definition for me.

I have noticed this is a common feature on most SSL Consoles.

Thanks
Looney!
Old 7th May 2012
Lives for gear

I was just trying to explain this the other day to a new intern. My feeling is tat they should jut simply call them a an b and nt record and mix. Ultimately they are just two different busses that the user can decide how tey want to use ( mix minuses and what not) and calling them record and mix implies that they have a dedicated purpose which causes confusion.
Old 7th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBread View Post
I was just trying to explain this the other day to a new intern. My feeling is tat they should jut simply call them a an b and nt record and mix. Ultimately they are just two different busses that the user can decide how tey want to use ( mix minuses and what not) and calling them record and mix implies that they have a dedicated purpose which causes confusion.
Hey Allbread, yeah man, I couldnt agree more.
I mean they are exactly the same but it causes so much confusion becasue it is names differently.
Initially my thinking was the record bus is just like your rough mix, and the mix being your final.
Again though this just casued more confusion.
Don't know if I am missing something here but I see no difference in the two.
Maybe Jim at SSL can help us on this one!
Old 7th May 2012
Lives for gear

Anyone else have any insight into this?

Thanks
Old 7th May 2012
Facepalm
The "Record Buss" feeds the group outputs via the routing matrix or direct buttons, and the "Mix Buss" feeds the main quad output. Simples.
Old 7th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facepalm View Post
The "Record Buss" feeds the group outputs via the routing matrix or direct buttons, and the "Mix Buss" feeds the main quad output. Simples.
Depends on the console. That's good insight into where the two buss names came from but on their newer consoles like the aws900 the two busses are identical.
Old 7th May 2012
Lives for gear

No difference at all. Except for the color of the leds. On the AWS, that is.
Old 8th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBread View Post
Depends on the console. That's good insight into where the two buss names came from but on their newer consoles like the aws900 the two busses are identical.
Exactly!
I am not sure about the old generation of SSL Consoles but I know with the new ones it is identical.
It does not do or mean anyting different does it?

The same goes for the SSL Matrix, only difference is- the lights are different, record is red and the Mix is yellow!

So what gives here?
Why would you have to identical busses which features are exactly the same?

Come on Jim please answer me!
Have I got it wrong.
Old 8th May 2012
Gear Nut

the rec mix thing reffered to the old days of analog so here goes>>>>
forgive any mistakes GS

older SSL's

in record mode with vca to monitor button pressed.

the tape machine is listening off the sync, or record head.

Line or mic input feeds the small fader, which then feeds the routing matrix to buss off to your tape track inputs.

the large fader is fed from the tape return. which feeds the quad bus

(without the vca to monitor button pressed the reverse is true in respect to the faders)

in mix mode

the tape machine is listening off the repro head

line inputs and tape returns are connected in parallel, which feed the large fader, and then the quad bus

the tape returns also feed the small faders which fed the routing matrix

this allowed you to to run extra fx sends when mixing .

so the record and mix buttons changed what head you were listening to from the multitrack ie sync or repro. AND configured the desk accordingly.

hope this helps a bit.
Old 8th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by retone View Post
the rec mix thing reffered to the old days of analog so here goes>>>>
forgive any mistakes GS

older SSL's

in record mode with vca to monitor button pressed.

the tape machine is listening off the sync, or record head.

Line or mic input feeds the small fader, which then feeds the routing matrix to buss off to your tape track inputs.

the large fader is fed from the tape return. which feeds the quad bus

(without the vca to monitor button pressed the reverse is true in respect to the faders)

in mix mode

the tape machine is listening off the repro head

line inputs and tape returns are connected in parallel, which feed the large fader, and then the quad bus

the tape returns also feed the small faders which fed the routing matrix

this allowed you to to run extra fx sends when mixing .

so the record and mix buttons changed what head you were listening to from the multitrack ie sync or repro. AND configured the desk accordingly.

hope this helps a bit.
Hey Just got of the phone with SSL rep and you are absolutley right my friend, the concept is taken from the old analog days.

Essentially nowdays you could also use the 2 seperate busses for example in this situation, say Record buss 1 for the vocal up and the other for the vocal down.

I hope this helps also.

I have searched all over the net for this info and I could not find a definition anywhere.
Old 8th May 2012
Solid State Logic

Everyone is right. REC and MIX meant something in the "old days" but now they might just as well be called "A" and "B".
Old 8th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Everyone is right. REC and MIX meant something in the "old days" but now they might just as well be called "A" and "B".
Thanks for confirming Jim.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search