The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is LA still in the 80's
Old 31st May 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK1

Now the 80's crowd hangs out at Palidino's in Reseda ... occasionally ......
pretty funny heh
L.O.L. they were hanging out there in the 80's, too. I was there. heh
Old 31st May 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier
The L.A. Rock scene and wearing black was a 70's thing. Some tried to keep it alive in the eighties, but it was already over. I was there. I watched it die.

Oh, it was definitely there in the 80's. I had a friend who got me into it. I had the black boots, the black leather jacket, spiky belt, etc.

I remember commenting to my buddy, "geez, with everybody wearing this stuff, it kind of feels like a uniform".
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

So this morning during my workout I was watching VH1 (getting my fix of pop culture). They were playing all of this 80's metal. I haven’t seen some of these videos in years. Did anyone else catch this?
Old 31st May 2006
Gear Nut

L.A. is still stuck in the 80's.
In fact, you can't get there without a time machine these days.
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great
Oh, it was definitely there in the 80's. I had a friend who got me into it. I had the black boots, the black leather jacket, spiky belt, etc.

I remember commenting to my buddy, "geez, with everybody wearing this stuff, it kind of feels like a uniform".

Is that the "we're so different we're the same" syndrome that rocker kids have. I went to a Mudvayne show last year. I wore a white button up shirt(with the intention of stripping down to my white tshirt once the pit started) and a girl that was in my group looks at me and says "you're wearing that?". I looked at her and said, "what am I supposed to wear black like EVERYONE else?" Sorry but I'll wear whatever the hell I want to.
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

I think Namm is not the greatest representation of all of LA. Sure there are some 80s dudes... But I mostly see the pop punk dudes all over the place. Lots of pop punk and hipster bands still trying it. Hopefully with the help of my own band Blackline (shameless plug -- www.blacklinerock.com ) good ole rock will return to the strip.
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

NAMM isn't even IN LA. It's held at Anaheim, in Orange County.

What happened, you went to the Rainbow afterwards and thought that was the whole city?
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
That is so true.

Btw, Namm was held in L.A a couple years ago, for a couple years, while they were refurbishing the Anaheim Convention Center.
Old 1st June 2006
Personally, I find the topic of people stuck in musical (and fashion) 'time tunnels' fascinating.. But IMHO a very difficult topic to pursue without causing offence, as those stuck in 'the tunnel', often don't realise that they are..

I will put my hand up right now and admit that I have two categories of music,

1) 70's rolling stones / who / bad co / Iggy & the Stooges / Velvet Underground etc (my rebel music from my mid teens)
2) 'other music'

Am I stuck in the 70's?

SURE!

I honestly think I will end up an a curmudgeonly old man happy with his comprehensive collection of Rollings Stones & Who footage and everybody else can go to hell..

fuuck
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Am I stuck in the 70's?
You missed THE SWEET !!!? .....better go back and get it right this time.
Old 1st June 2006

LA and Nashville are musuems come alive.....no offense....but not everyone is content to wallow in the glory days of these two over-inflated cities...when I was younger I made the mistake of attending one those so called recording schools....seemed they were only interested in shuttling us off to LA or Nashville ASAP....I understand, its their job....but it was very educational for me in regards to what I didn't want to do....btw...i have been to LA and Nashville....personally I find both cities depressing and hollow......too bad that's where all the work is....just my own 2 cents....
Old 1st June 2006
More cowbell!

LA is about the movies, which are all made in Louisiana now :-)

Still all the big soundstages and post stuff is there
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab
LA also has a huge indie scene..the whole silverlake crowd is definitely not 80's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm
uh yeah they are..I haven't been to the clubs for about 7 months thank god but I was in the clubs constantly before on the east side and all the hip kids are all dressing and sounding like the early 80's.
Not metal 80's. Silverlake has a Pretenders/jon Jett/ramons 80's vibe (amongst others).

Metal 80's will be found in the L.A. Valleys, deserts and west Hollywood sunset strip (but they are just driving in from the valley).

BTW, most all of these are transplants, very, very few are native. You can thank the musician’s institute, amongst others for bringing the metal guitar gods wanna be's to Hollywood. Don't forget that all those wanna be hipsters (metal, punk, goth, whatever) from all over the country usually come to a big city like L.A. (for various reasons). Then they usually settle in the neighborhood that most likely fits them, valleys for metal, eastside silverlake for indie rock, etc.

Metal is dead here, per say. But it doesn't stop metal head musicians from moving here from other parts of the country that metal is more popular (i.e., east coast).

Metal acts don't play on the east-side (silverlake). The valley and pay-to-play sunset strip would be their options.

BTW, L.A. is HUGE and very different (in all ways) depending on where you live. 5,000 square miles and 10 million plus people and this is not even counting Orange County which is where Namm was and home to the Orange county music scene (blink-182, No doubt, etc., etc.). Saying L.A. is 'hollow' just means one didn't find the part of L.A. that fits them. There is really only one part of L.A. that I like at this time, and I'm living in it, but certainly there are many, many parts of L.A. that I would consider very hollow----West Hollywood / sunset strip being a top contender.
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=Fleaman]
Quote:

Not metal 80's. Silverlake has a Pretenders/jon Jett/ramons 80's vibe (amongst others).

Metal 80's will be found in the L.A. Valleys, deserts and west Hollywood sunset strip (but they are just driving in from the valley).

BTW, most all of these are transplants, very, very few are native. You can thank the musician’s institute, amongst others for bringing the metal guitar gods wanna be's to Hollywood. Don't forget that all those wanna be hipsters (metal, punk, goth, whatever) from all over the country usually come to a big city like L.A. for various reasons. Then they usually settle in the neighborhood that most likely fits them, valleys for metal, eastside silverlake for indie rock, etc.

Metal is dead here, per say. But it doesn't stop metal head musicians from moving here from other parts of the country that metal is more popular (i.e., east coast).

Metal acts don't play on the east-side (silverlake). The valley and pay-to-play sunset strip would be their options.
my point.. genre aside..is that there are plenty of 80's wannabes in Silverlake..AND I got no problem with it at all. It's all good.thumbsup
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:

my point.. genre aside..is that there are plenty of 80's wannabes in Silverlake..AND I got no problem with it at all. It's all good.thumbsup
Oh, I thought the original poster only mentioned 80's metal, hence that's what I thought you were referring to.

But yeah, no 80's Metal over here on the east side. Some might be here, but they are all undercover...until they drive out to west Hollywood for a drink at the Rainbow!

In fact, the Rainbow has got to be the last 80's metal fort left in L.A.
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivers28
i have been to LA and Nashville....personally I find both cities depressing and hollow......too bad that's where all the work is.
I thought I'd hate LA when I visited as a teenager. I've since moved here and have come to really like it.

Most of what you'll experience on a cursory visit to this town are the well-known-but-less-than-soul-enriching areas -- the places that are big on facade.

However, the LA area is super expansive -- it's like half a small state -- and throughout those areas you'll find innumerable environs and lifestyles. LA is home to plastic surgeons, sure. But it's also home to the Jet Propulsion Labs. I've met some of the shallowest people here, but also some of the most brilliant.
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman
Oh, I thought the original poster only mentioned 80's metal, hence that's what I thought you were referring to.

But yeah, no 80's Metal over here on the east side. Some might be here, but they are all undercover...until they drive out to west Hollywood for a drink at the Rainbow!

In fact, the Rainbow has got to be the last 80's metal fort left in L.A.

my studio is a safe haven for aging 80's hair metal artists..in the last 6 months I have worked with Traci Gunns(LA GUNS), Bang Tango, George Lynch...I'm at home with this stuff. I'm only 31 but my place attracts the old schoolers.
Old 1st June 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilbers
is there any seattle slutz around here or someone who lived there who tell if grunge is still alive and well upthere?

grunge is very much dead in seattle, it was thoroughly killed by 1996 when almost every club stopped booking bands and started booking dj's. moe's, colorbox, they all fell like dominoes. there was, literally, almost zero live music happening for nearly three years.

i moved there in 94, moved away in late 2004. at that time, indie pop was the thing, and emo-light was getting a foothold. not much in the way of live jazz, no blues, no country, not much acoustic. there's only one form of hipster there, and they're ubiquitous: vaguely 60's shag, polyester slacks, plaid short sleeve shirt tucked in with a belt, maybe some horn rims if you're feeling bold.

but they had vivace, which is some of the best espresso you can get outside of rome, and septiemme, which has some of the best drip to be found anywhere. i do miss that coffee.

gregoire
del ubik

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search