The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Hey look what i just bought
Old 7th May 2012
Lives for gear

Hey look what i just bought

A 1979 hand wired Vibrolux Reverb amp in near mint condition(spent most of its life in a closet) and it sounds fantabulous.
Attached Thumbnails
Hey look what i just bought-amp-001.jpg   Hey look what i just bought-amp-003.jpg   Hey look what i just bought-amp-004.jpg  
Old 7th May 2012
Lives for gear

Sweet! There's something cool about old guitar amps... Special place in my heart for them
Old 7th May 2012
Lives for gear

Very nice. I love Fender amps of that vintage.
Old 7th May 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavern View Post
A 1979 hand wired Vibrolux Reverb amp in near mint condition
You sure that's a 1979? I believe Fender switched to silver face about 1967. It could be much older than you think. Maybe '64-'66.
Old 7th May 2012
Here for the gear

In 1968 Fender went to Silverface cosmetics until 1981 or 82. That amp is pre 1968 unless someone changed the faceplate. Nice amp.

1980-1982 had black face cosmetics. It's possible that the components are from 79 but used in 1980.
Old 8th May 2012
Gear Nut

The giveaway that it's not an original 60's blackface is the trademark symbol after Vibrolux. Originals don't have that. Also, the originals said "Vibrolux Reverb-Amp," and had the channel designations on the bottom, not the top. The writing looks different, too.
Old 8th May 2012
Lives for gear

I did some more reserch and it could be a 1980.The owner told me 79 and there is a 79 in the serial number but it looks like they went to blackface sometime in early 80 and discontinued them in 82.Its to mint to be from the 60's i think.It almost looks new and still has what looks like the original fender"special" tubes in it.
In any case,it sounds so sweet,i have a DRRI but this sounds so much better,its hard to describe,i think the two CTS Alnico 10's sound hugh.
Im really happy i bought it.
Old 8th May 2012
Lives for gear

OK just found out on google.
It is an 1980 cause the serial no. starts with FO+5 digits.
Old 8th May 2012
Lives for gear

Yum!

The Vibrolux is perhaps my favorite guitar amp of all time. There is something about the 2 10 cab that I always loved - "tighter" and more articulate than the 2 12 cab (and the 1 12 cab as well).

Play it in good health!
Old 8th May 2012
Gear Head

Gorgeous amp, congrats. I hope you mic it up and post something for us.
Old 8th May 2012
Lives for gear

Yeah, i've had it 2 days now and i can't stop playing it.I love the cleans but i used a Marshall Bluesbreaker pedal with it tonight on imput 1/channel 1, and i think i halucinated there for awhile.lol
Old 8th May 2012
Lives for gear
To my ears the Vibrolux REverb is the modern sweet spot of non-master Fenders. In the old days there were venues where you could crank a Twin or a Super, not any more. the Vibrolux, with slightly lower output (35w vs 40) and less clean overhead is perfect. And yes, that's a second series blackface from the late 70s/early 80s, although AFAIK they didn't screw with the Vibrolux circuit like they did with the Twins/Supers/Pros... You can confirm the dates by checking the numbers on the speakers (post them here) or the backs of the pots.
Old 8th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbob1 View Post
To my ears the Vibrolux REverb is the modern sweet spot of non-master Fenders. In the old days there were venues where you could crank a Twin or a Super, not any more. the Vibrolux, with slightly lower output (35w vs 40) and less clean overhead is perfect. And yes, that's a second series blackface from the late 70s/early 80s, although AFAIK they didn't screw with the Vibrolux circuit like they did with the Twins/Supers/Pros... You can confirm the dates by checking the numbers on the speakers (post them here) or the backs of the pots.
I confirmed the date here.FO+5 digits= 1980.
If you zoom the third picture in my opening post,you can see the ser.no.
Superior Music - Fender Amp, Amplifier Serial Numbers
Old 8th May 2012
Lives for gear

If it sat that long then you should re-cap it.
Old 8th May 2012
Lives for gear

I have that same amp. Silverface amp with the Blackface cosmetics. They are a rare variety and sound incredible. They made these from 79 to 81 and that was the end of the original Vibrolux line. It's a great live amp with its deep rich low end, yet cuts through the band with those 10 inch speakers. Hang on to that one.
Old 8th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone View Post
I have that same amp. Silverface amp with the Blackface cosmetics. They are a rare variety and sound incredible. They made these from 79 to 81 and that was the end of the original Vibrolux line. It's a great live amp with its deep rich low end, yet cuts through the band with those 10 inch speakers. Hang on to that one.
That's exactly what i thought when i first played it,its so full/rich/big sounding and that reverb,man i had no idea,having played a DRRI for the last 5 years,i mean,the deluxe re-issue sounds nice but not like this.
Old 8th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faderjockey View Post
If it sat that long then you should re-cap it.
The guy i bought it from was playing it a bit the last few years.
The thing sounds amazing so im going to save the re-cap for when its needed.
I have some NOS 50's RCA's that i could put in there too but im just going to leave it alone.I can't imagine it sounding any better than it does.
Old 8th May 2012
Lives for gear

It's a great amplifier. Actually for me it was one of the first pieces of gear I bought (around 1980). My Vibrolux starts with serial no F9 so it's from 79-80, it has a silver a face. If you wonder about the pedal on top of it, it's a Okko Diablo
Attached Thumbnails
Hey look what i just bought-photo.jpg  
Old 8th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVi View Post
It's a great amplifier. Actually for me it was one of the first pieces of gear I bought (around 1980). My Vibrolux starts with serial no F9 so it's from 79-80, it has a silver a face. If you wonder about the pedal on top of it, it's a Okko Diablo
Okko Diablo,nice pedal,i like the sensitivity concept and the extra settings,im going to order one of those.Didn't know about it.
Old 8th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavern View Post
Okko Diablo,nice pedal,i like the sensitivity concept and the extra settings,im going to order one of those.Didn't know about it.
You won't be disappointed, it's a great pedal. On YouTube there are examples of the same chain as I use; Es335 > okko > fender vibrolux
Old 8th May 2012
Lives for gear
The serial number dating of a Fender amp is still a bit uncertain. The list was arrived at by comparing serial number dates with speaker, pot and transformer dates. It's well worth pulling the chassis and looking at things to learn more about the journey your amp made to birth. As an example, some of these turn out to have innards that are all somewhat earlier than the serial number, some later, some slightly different circuits. Coding is basically:

XXX-YYWW for all of those components. With the xxx being the code for the manufacturer, also a fun thing to check out. The speakers are likely Utah, but Oxford, Jensen and Emminence also make appearances, for example.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search