The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Gear you've given/thrown away?
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

Gear you've given/thrown away?

What gear over the years that was probably at one point of significance did you give/throw away?

Most gear that I get rid of I try to get some money for, but some stuff just isn't worth the effort, so I either give it away or sit it on the street (which makes it promptly dissapear)

I recently put out a broken (my first circuitbending expriment) Yamaha RX-5 drum machine, a JL-Cooper Midi patcher (I have two Unitor units now, so a standalone patchbay is worthless to me), and a cello with a split neck joint.

I've also gave away my first guitar amp to a school for messing around with the electronics, as the power transformer blew on it, and a few guitar pedals.
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

Earthworks mics

I dumped a pair of Earthworks mics out the window of a moving car. The mics were ****, the designer a bull****ter, and the recording experience distinctly sub par.

I used them with disappointment each time and finally conveyed them to a busy street in Chicago. After I announced it, some guys were emailing me to find where I'd dumped them.

Maybe someone picked them up (but only after many trucks had run over them.)
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Head
Ward Beck eqs

I threw a pair of Ward Beck Eqs in the trash......cant remember which model, I believe they were 3 band and full of chips. I hooked them up once and they sounded so sh*&t that I tossed them in the bin, not worth the money to rackmount......and Im Canadian!!
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Maniac

I worked for a TV studio that had done an upgrade. They got rid of all the older gear. I took all the dbx 160x/161's ect but I left all that horrid green compressors with tubes in them! You know the sluggish Vari-mu compressor from ALTECtutt We through them in the dumpster!

I did grab some R>R decks too!

Oh well...I suck!
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

an Allison Research Gain Brain Compressor (no power supply) that my step dad gave me in a box of old beat up tube amps and stuff. He worked as a tech at a radio station and the radio station had a makeshift studio to do commercials etc...I was 15, I had no idea what it was, but I'll always remember "Gain Brain". I just put all that stuff in a closet somewhere. they are divorced now but maybe my Mom still has that stuff 20 years later?? Doubt it. Are they worth anything?
Old 30th May 2006
SK1
Lives for gear

Threw away a ****e peavy tube bass pre.

Also had to trash a few dunlap bass wah's after I stomped the crap out of em ... always to buy a replacment ......

Gave away .....
some peavy 58 copies
old 4 tracks
no name pa speakers
misc cables ( after upgrading )
Studio/computer desk
mic stands
cassette deck ( cheapo )

I support urban youth

LOL
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

Just very recently..
-Delta 92 dual digital delay > no pwr
-Deltalab "Echotron" > stuck on constant feedback
-Eventide H 910 > hum/distorted garbage on output
-Marshall Time Modulator >> lost the power supply in moving..this same unit sold on Ebay for $2,000 recently

These didn't go to the garbage, my young friend uses them as space fillers/client eye candy in his basement studio...
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

I threw away a Yamaha 24 channel PM1000 console in 1992.

I remember thinking it had a thick, crunchy sound with mediocre EQ. It was so sub-par compared to the Neve consoles I was working on...had no idea I'd appreciate it, let alone desire one again for my home rig later on whilst mixing on a M*ckie. I can't believe I PAID cartage fees to haul it away to the dump!!!!

What else...years earlier, I told my dad to sell his McIntosh amplifier at a garage sale, because it took so long to warm up and be useful, could not imagine anyone wanting it. Argh.....
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush
I dumped a pair of Earthworks mics out the window of a moving car. The mics were ****, the designer a bull****ter, and the recording experience distinctly sub par.

I used them with disappointment each time and finally conveyed them to a busy street in Chicago. After I announced it, some guys were emailing me to find where I'd dumped them.

Maybe someone picked them up (but only after many trucks had run over them.)

While I DO love earthworks mics, I wouldn't be afraid of a truck running over an SM57/58!
Old 31st May 2006
I gave a friend a TASCAM 1/2" 8 track with a dbx NR i/o rack. It was nice to keep that much metal out of the landfill but I pity him if he ever decides to make it into more than stagedressing in his PT project studio.

I paid good money for it used but couldn't keep it out of the shop. It provoked me to buy my first ADAT. I never looked back.
Old 31st May 2006
Gear Nut

A Tascam M-1516 and cassette 4-track. Best thing I ever did. thumbsup
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

1. Tascam 122B first version. The capstan motor died and I didn't think spending
$50 to get a new one and spend an hour to install it was worht it since at the
time, I hadn't used a cassette in 5 or 6 years.

2. Akai S 900. Power supply died and resale value for a perfect one was down
to about $200.

3. Otari MX 5050B. I was taking it to a dealer to trade it in, and it fell off my
handtruck face down bending both reel spindles. The now useless machine
went into the trash after I salvaged the capstan motor, heads and some other
sellable parts for later ebay auctions.
Old 31st May 2006
Gear Addict

Ive once thrown away a B?#!$nger Composer because one button didnt work anymore.
I wish Ive kept it! heh
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

Funk Logic RNP/RNC rack tray last week to a gearslut.

Not worth storing 'cause I'd never use it. Not worth taking the time to sell. So I gave it to someone who needed it.
Old 31st May 2006
Gear Guru

I tried to give away my RNC on Friday, but the guy would not take it.

Glenn
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfipie
I tried to give away my RNC on Friday, but the guy would not take it.

Glenn

I'll take your RNC off your hands if needed
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

I gave away my old Mac 9500 with a G3 card. I hear it is still working and being used with a PT LE setup!

I've also tossed an Akia S-1100 into the garbage, one that I had bought new with all the options. Likewise, a Sony U-matic 3/4" tape deck that couldn't eject the tape got thrown away. I'd paid around $3,500 for it new, and it just wasn't worth fixing. Other stuff I've thrown away is sundry items purchased on eBay that the sellers dumped on me and weren't worth fixing or even shipping back.
Old 31st May 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon
I'll take your RNC off your hands if needed
I think what I am going to do is either sell it and donate the money or try to find some kid that is just starting off and make his day! It is not that I do not like the unit, but it is just not for me.

Glenn
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

I gave Miranda Lee Richards my Yamaha MT100II when she was an aspiring singer/songwriter.

I gave my Les Paul Std. to a friend of mine before he moved overseas.

Sometimes I wish I had both those items back, but I don't regret passing them along.
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think what I am going to do is either sell it and donate the money or try to find some kid that is just starting off and make his day! It is not that I do not like the unit, but it is just not for me.

Glenn
If you want to find a kid and make his day, drop me a PM - I am going to school now for music recording (music degree with an emphasis on recording). School makes me too poor to afford gear. You can make my day anyday!

Cheers,
-MIke
Old 1st June 2006
Gear Addict

I traded a digitech whammy pedal for a pack of smokes in the 90's once ....and when I left school they gave me a korg MS-20.
Old 1st June 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Glenn
wow. everyday at work where i do the job of 3 people and make less than one, i always imagine waiting on a guy who asks what i am going to school for then telling me he has all this gear he doesnt use. haha no joke. eh that place is full of nothing but selfish wastefull rich dirtbags who insist on spendingg over $30,000 on horse racing. its sucks when you have a list of every item you want and you calculate that it will take over 5 months of working 5 days a week while going to school to get the bare minimum gear.

way to come off looking like a desprite tool, aaron

basically, if you really are going to give it to an up and commer, please pm me, that is unless you found someone else to drop it off to.

so to stay on track with this topic, my cousion gave me a Yahmaha MT120s 4 track. needless to say, when i get new gear, i use it to its fullest. for a month i did everything on that for fun. its alright. came in handy once when i needed a specific tape sound.
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1
I gave a friend a TASCAM 1/2" 8 track with a dbx NR i/o rack. It was nice to keep that much metal out of the landfill but I pity him if he ever decides to make it into more than stagedressing in his PT project studio.

I paid good money for it used but couldn't keep it out of the shop. It provoked me to buy my first ADAT. I never looked back.
Was that the 48? Still got one sitting here w/o the NR. Never had any probs with it actually, but then again didn't really use it much.

I can think of alot of junk I've ditched over the years but some of the stuff I sold for pennies(and of course am kicking myself now) would be the super reverb pre cbs for $50.xx!!!! Oh, and my MXR dynacomp I did give away because it was so noisy, along with a couple of cry baby's
Old 1st June 2006
Gear Maniac

I left a Soundcraft Digital328 in the alley behind my house in Chicago when I moved last year. I also threw out one of those Eventide digital delays (I forget the model. 1450? Something like that.) One didn't work, and the other was complete ****. I'll let you be the judge as to which was which. ;-)

I also gave away a pair (!) of Fender Blues Devilles because my label at the time bought 'em for me, and I didn't like either them or the label.
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

I just gave a friend an Emagic MT4 MIDI interface for his birthday.

I gave another friend an Emagic EMI 2|6 because I already have an audio interface.

Both Emagic pieces were gifts to me from a co-worker so I thought I'd pass it forward.
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

I gave away a DOD compressor...someone had given it to me 2 days earlier, & I never even bothered to check it out, didn't even turn it on, just passed it on to a more deserving soul.

I put a fully-functional Mac IIsi out on the street when I moved out of Brooklyn. Someone snatched it within half an hour. Hope they liked System 7.6!

I gave my Dad a Behringer Feedback Exterminator.

I have an AudioArts 1500 analog 5-band sweepable notch filter that I've been trying to sell for over a year. No one bit at $115, no one bit at $90, and no one bit at $50, so my next move is either to offer it up for free to one of the aforementioned "kids just starting out" (pick up in NYC or you pay shipping), or else I'll put it out on the street. Or give it to Dad.
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
I gave Miranda Lee Richards my Yamaha MT100II when she was an aspiring singer/songwriter.
Just checked out her web site - nice voice, and the song that was playing on the site was quite good - did you produce it?
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral
Just checked out her web site - nice voice, and the song that was playing on the site was quite good - did you produce it?
No, actually I haven't even spoken to her in a couple of years. I think she's doing good stuff, though.

She was really driven and busted some serious a$$.
Old 1st June 2006
Gear Maniac

I love how the mention of a plan to give away a reasonable piece of gear (an rnc).. summons up all the buget sluts.

well heck.. I'll take it off your hands.. but you'd have to arrange postage (me being in Australia and all).. Hope you find someone realy deserving to give it to
Old 1st June 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by username
I love how the mention of a plan to give away a reasonable piece of gear (an rnc).. summons up all the buget sluts.

well heck.. I'll take it off your hands.. but you'd have to arrange postage (me being in Australia and all).. Hope you find someone realy deserving to give it to
You know giving it away to someone on Gear Slutz does make good sense, but I really don't though guys personally on here, so it would be kind of hard to say for sure if it would be going to someone that really deserves (needs) it.. Not that any of you don't, but if someone is standing in front of me making the choose is much easer.
Sorry if I got any ones hopes up, but now I wish I would have not posted about it. I don't want to piss anyone off..

Sorry about that guys,
Glenn

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search