The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need vocal microphone advice
Old 6th May 2012
Deleted User
Need vocal microphone advice

Well... I am pretty happy with much of my gear at this point, but I have held out on purchasing a nice main mic because I'm still sort of confused.

I have my eye on the Mojave MA 200 as well as some of the more affordable Telefunken models...

Basically I am looking for advice on a multi purpose mono mic... good at vocals and acoustic instruments, that has a smooth and enveloping sound.
Old 6th May 2012
Lives for gear

I highly recommend the Beesneez line of microphones. "smooth and enveloping" is right up their alley. I have a Jade Producer Series. Nice smooth top, nice sound period. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 6th May 2012
Gear Maniac

What are your preamps, and what all are you recording?
Old 6th May 2012
Deleted User
Thanks... I've never tried a Bees Neez mic, and I don't know anyone who has one, but I will try to check them out.

As far as pre's, I will be running this mic through typical Black Lion and Universal Audio stuff most often, but will also be using API, Calrec, Hardy, Tube Tech...

I would say 90% Black Lion..

I will be recording a lot of folk music, great young folk vocalists who have both vintage and modern elements in their voice, and I also want a mic that can bring out the warmth of an acoustic guitar, violin, cello, etc. Just a lot of rootsy music that has to sound authentic while being high res. If that makes sense.
Old 6th May 2012
Lives for gear

Haven't tried myself but for around $700 this mic has gotten some nice reviews SOS and such. JZ Microphones Vintage 11 sets new microphone standard
Old 6th May 2012
414? Super flexible but doesn't sound that great on everyone's vox...
Old 6th May 2012
Lives for gear

I want to try a Mojave as well.

For male vocals ive been loving the Re20 with a good pre. It sucks without one.

414s always work great on females
Old 6th May 2012
Gear Head

I've got a Mojave MA 200. It's a really good mic, but it is quite bright sounding, so it may not suit vocalists that have bright and/or sibilant voices.
Old 7th May 2012
Deleted User
Thanks for the replies.
I have used the AKG 414 several times before, and it is a good multi purpose mic in some respects... I always use one on snare bottom, they usually work for strings and some room sounds, but that's not what I'm looking for here.

The 414 has a thin sound, and doesn't have that richness that I am looking for in a vocal mic.

I have never tried a JZ mic.. I will have to look into that.
Old 7th May 2012
Lives for gear

Blackspade Acoustic has a um17 for $999, and updated Ak47 flavor by Oliver of Ami.
Old 7th May 2012
Deleted User
Cool I'll try to find some info on that
Old 7th May 2012
Lives for gear

I think you could be very happy with a Brauner Phanthera V. Friendly, detailed, big, smooth on voices as well as instruments.
Old 7th May 2012
Gear Maniac

Miktek CV4

I've used a lot of top end mics in studios (47s, Brauner, Horsch, etc.) but did not have a great LDC tube for my own home studio. I was complaining to a producer friend that every tube mic I truly love is over $4000, and he said that the Miktek CV4 would change my mind. ($1400) So I got one and all I can say is WOW. I've only had it a week, but man does it sound good.
CV4 Large Diaphragm Multi-Pattern Tube Condenser | Miktek Audio
Old 7th May 2012
Gear Addict
Neumann tlm67. Rich, smooth, and versatile. Great on voice, electric and acoustic guitars, and drums. It has a lovely proximity effect that an experienced singer can really make the most of. And it's not hyped or scooped in any frequency.
Old 7th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond View Post
I am looking for advice on a multi purpose mono mic... good at vocals and acoustic instruments
Microtech Gefell M930.
Old 7th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Haven't tried myself but for around $700 this mic has gotten some nice reviews SOS and such. JZ Microphones Vintage 11 sets new microphone standard
Yep! Looks intriguing! JZ has nice quality products for a nice price..
Other mics worth to audition are the Violet Design (Amethyst Vintage and Globe Vintage).. unspoken gem IMO.
Beesneez are also a good choice..

Cheu
Old 7th May 2012
Deleted User
I have tried a Cv4... it for sure is a good mic.
Have had reliability issues though... not so good.

The other mics are cool... may not be exactly what I'm looking for.

I wish I could try some of these Bees Neez mics out before buying...
Old 21st May 2012
Lives for gear

It has been my experience that Ben will work with you until you have the Beesneez mic that works for you. I bought my original Jade without trying one out, it was a bit scary, but I don't regret buying that product. I have since upgraded to a Jade Producer Series with a K7 capsule and an Australian made body and power supply. And I love it. I look at it every day. Oh, and I use it to sing into occasionally as well!
Old 21st May 2012
Lives for gear

Don't laugh but... I record a lot of folk music, (and I have a lot of LDC's and tube LDC's) and the male vocal mic I use the most for that genre is a mxl v67g modded by JJ Audio with a new transformer and circuit. My v67g is very similar to an old U87, with a lot of lows and low mids and a non-essey high end.

For female vocals in that genre, I have an 80's vintage C414 P48 (not the C12 capsule) which is virtually flat. It's nothing like the newer 414's which all have significantly more high end. The only new mic I'm aware of with a response curve close to the 414 P48 would be the KEL HM2d. The ADK S7 would also be similar, but with a little extra at around 10k. Another relatively mellow LDC would be the AT4047, or possibly the Stellar CM6 tube mic. The Stellar website doesn't have any freq response graphs up, but it's been favorably compared to a U67, and it's multi-pattern, which gives you even more options for changing the response curve by changing patterns.

Too bad about the Miktek CV4. It might be worth your while to contact the Miktek folks and ask them specifically about the reliability issues with the other CV4 you listened to. Maybe it was a lemon. GS poster John Kenn has had a CV4 for a while now, and hasn't mentioned anything bad about it. In case you missed it, there's a bit of a discussion about the CV4 going on here:
your advice please : Pearlman TM 1 vs MicTek CV4 for vocals
Old 21st May 2012
Lives for gear
If you're looking for warmth and richness, how about a Pearlman TM-1? I am in love with mine.
Old 21st May 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanland View Post
I've got a Mojave MA 200. It's a really good mic, but it is quite bright sounding, so it may not suit vocalists that have bright and/or sibilant voices.
Wow, this surprises me a little. I don't have a MA 200, but I do have the MA-300 which is supposedly the multi-pattern version of the 200, One reason I like it so much is because of the sweet high end. Depending upon the mix many times I find myself adding a little top to a vocal, which I rarely do with most of my other LDC mikes. Come to think of it, since I have been using it the past few months, I haven't had to use any de-essing either. It may just be my sources I guess.

Now my 200fet's are a bit brighter, so I could see where that mike might be a problem depending upon the vocalist.
Old 21st May 2012
MJB
Lives for gear

If it's warmth you need, check around for sound files of the Blackspade U17R, the upgrade gives it the low end muscle you need. The "R" upgrade puts it in the world class category, not first class.
Old 22nd May 2012
Deleted User
Thanks for all your replies... really appreciate that.

I have picked up a Beesneez Shelise and so far I've only used it once, quickly to test.

Initial results are promising but when I do a more legit recording I will post some sound files.

But let's keep the discussion going... always room for more mics!!!!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search