The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can ANYBODY ID my mixer? Audio Interfaces
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Nut

Can ANYBODY ID my mixer? (Updated with pics)

Hi guys.

I recently got my hands on a mixing console from the 80`s, and am looking forward to getting into using it after my schedule clears up next week. But I´m having some trouble properly ID`ing the console. I would like to know exactly what it is, what it`s capabilitys are (or at least what they used to be when it was new) and what I can copmare it to in audio wuality with current mixer consoles. (LIke, are the preamps good compared to mackie/ A&H and such, since I don`t have either..)

The brand is Studiomaster and the model is 16-4-2, but what little info I can find on google about it, is always related to a different design than the one I have sitting in my control room.

The Console is a sturdy metal chassis, with 2 sections of 4 channels, and one section of16 channels. (24 channels of Line/XLR inputs).
Aditionally there are 4 extra inputs for Tape 1-4. Other than the name and the numbers, there is no written information on the console, and the guy who had it in his garage has no information on it, he got it used 10 years ago.

I found some pictures of Thin Lizzy and Phil Collins hugging Studiomaster consoles, but asside from that, and a really crappy webpage with no support for legacy hardware (mother****ers!!!), there is little, if anything of use to me. Whenever I find something about it, itis always a different console on the pictures than the one I have.

And one last thing, it has a pair of what looks like SCSI pins on the back. not shure if they are SCSi or something else. (I`m from the nintendo generation... I accepted USb and Firewire early on and never looked back..)

So if ANYBODy knows anything about this console, what it`s capable of, if it`s really any good, and myabe even has a pdf manual lying around their HD, please let me know. And if you just wanna comment on the thing it self, giving your own experience, please do. After all. The only reason for comming here is because everybody else, seems to be moore gearcrazy than myself...

Stian

Norway

ps. Wil post pictures asap (meaning later today or tomorrow)
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

Your pictures would help identify the beast. This is all I have on Studiomaster boards... hope it helps.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res8dduc/pix/Studiomaster.jpg
Old 30th May 2006

there are some pictures of studiomasters at http://www.recordingconsoles.net

no info tho..

the "track mix" LOOKs cool

narco
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Maniac

I have two Studio master consoles, as well as used several more. I think there best one is the Mixdown Classic. (I have the 24 channel version currently). EQs are very british and warm, musical I guess. The preamps for mixing are nice and phat. But are not as great for tracking. Most of thier boards mix +4 and -10 in different spots which sucks. You can change many settings, but not all for that. So The direct outs are -10 but I think everything else is +4 if the internal switch is set to +4. Unit is very flexible. Most of the Studio master consoles were "split" design and not "inline". Meaning it has a seperate monitoring section. Were as Mackie has is "inline" and has a monitor on each channel. I really like the split design better. So my board is 24x8x2 but also has and additional 16 channels that are routed to the 2 bus. I use them for effects returns.

All in all, I would say this version is close to a SoundCraft Ghost, but maybe not the preamps.

I have used the older versions too. They seem to compare favorablely. I think the older ones were noisey, but I never found it to be an issue.

Joe
Old 1st June 2006
Gear Nut

Here are some pictures I took of the console today.

And yes, I KNOW the sofa looks horrible...

Any tips an dexperiencec appreciated. And one fresh hardly used soul to trade for a proper users manual.

Also. Anybody know what the SCSI-like connector on the back (sorry no pic..) is for?

Thanks for all feedback so far.

Stian/Snarf
Old 1st June 2006
Gear Maniac

God that makes me nostalgic, the lay out and colour scheme are very similar to my first almost slutty buy - the studiomaster studio 4 which was then (1982-3) the Rolls Royce of 4 track cassettes. It was 6x4x2, phantom power, send and returns, monitor section, proper faders and built like a tank. 700 quid back then!
Attached Thumbnails
Can ANYBODY ID my mixer?-studio4.jpg  
Old 1st June 2006

Looks like a live board. I vaugely remember using a 16 channel version of that back in my days of schleppin for Joe...

Anyway, It's a pretty solid live board and the multi pin connectors are probaby for a snake.

-tINY

Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY

Looks like a live board.

Wonder why they would name it Studiomaster if it was live board?

Much Respect,
Old 2nd June 2006

I remember wondering the same thing....

I guess they were expanding their line. What else would you use a 16x4x2 board for? The 4 seems out of place for a recording board....

-tINY

Old 17th August 2006
Here for the gear

Mixdown 16-8-16

I have what Studiomaster refered to as a Mixdown 16-8-16 (and I think it's a Series II) in my home setup. Basically it looks about the same as <a href=http://www.4sync.com/rc/picdisplay.asp?itemkey=959>this</a> but it has 16 channels, 8 busses and 16 direct outs and tape in/outs (and no pop out meter bridge but does include built-in metering for the buses and 2 mix).

This makes it a bit better for actual studio style recording than a lot of the other Studiomaster small/medium consoles like it actually has 6 auxes for instance(although a phase flip switch would be nice...). They're pretty cool little consoles. A tad noisy but the EQ is pretty fat especially if you're doing some electronic or hip hop stuff. It doesn't hold a candle to the Sony 3036 in our studio but it was never meant to.

I had a bitch of a time finding info about one before I got it so if anyone needs the manual for a 16-8-16, I could perhaps scan and PDF it.

All the best,

-e
Lives for gear

Thats a 16-4-2 with expanders, man thats a decent desk.

get it cleaned, get it fixed, it'l be strait.
Old 17th August 2006
Lives for gear

Scuzzi conn is for Midi Mute automatin.
Old 17th August 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarf View Post
Also. Anybody know what the SCSI-like connector on the back (sorry no pic..) is for?
Stian/Snarf
D Sub?
Old 17th August 2006
XJR
Gear Maniac

That is a 16:4:2 with 2 x expansion packs fitted. These desk were sold in the mid to late eighties and cost about £1200 back then. I have two of these, and like them because they are easy to service and capable of outlasting most other desks. One of mine has done over 3000 gig's.

All channels are built on their own PCB. The mic pres have a couple of discrete tranistor gain stages, then opamps, all in sockets for ease of replacment. They are TLO81's if I remember correctly. All pots are pretty standard, the 100mm faders are not soldered to the PCB but have their own flying leads for easy replacment. £3 Alps are a direct fit if you have any worn faders. The main outs and aux sends are +4 or -10 balanced or unbalanced, switched via internal jumpers. The built in 1Khz slate was for lining up tape on the 4 subgroups. The internal power supply could handle 24 channels but an upgrade used to be available which could handle more!

It's a great live desk but noisy for tracking in comparison to real studio desks. The aux returns are very noisy in particular! Might be great for mixdown though if you like the EQ, which I do.
I have the full manual inc circuit diagrams somewhere if you need to know anything.
Old 13th January 2010
Gear Nut

Hi there,
I know this thread is pretty old, but I recently acquired a Studiomaster Series II 24•8•2 and am very interested in one, or even two, 8-channel expander units. I have one expander, but it's missing one of the PCB cards & all the pots & jacks, so for now, it's an extra-parts unit. So far, ebay (et. al.) hasn't turned up anything.

Any help would be well appreciated!

Thanks!
Regards,
Frank
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search