The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
those hifi lunatics...
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Addict

those hifi lunatics...

professional cable burn in anybody?! $50 per pair...

http://www.pymblehifi.com.au/NordostCableBurning.htm

I guess I will branch out into this business and offer audio-cable burn in sessions at my studio: real players burning in your interconnects with the music of your choice

sounds so much more real now
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

oh man,

ye have to read that.

it's hilarious.

but sure fair play to them if they can make money out of it!

the world is full of suckers and someone has to take their money!

regards,

richie.
Old 30th May 2006
This obviously crucial service was the subject of much good-natured fun-poking over at Craig Anderton's Harmony Central forum: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...readid=1258563

BTW... if you want a REAL laugh, check out the "Technical Papers" on the "featured product" Nordost.com website... it's a FREAKIN' HOOT!

http://www.nordost.com/Technical%20Papers/index.htm

I can only imagine what would happen if an EE candidate turned in a "technical paper" such as those on the Nordost site.

Frankly, I think this stuff would get laughed out of a university marketing class...

I'm kind of surprised there's no "multi-level marketing" component attached to this nonsense...
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Addict

Hey, what about all the little runs of wire inside all our outboard gear? Shouldn't they be addressed as well?

Personally, I use Pantene to condition all my cables anyway. If you can't get it, two-stroke outboard oil is a good substitute.

And how about power cables? As we all know, they are the subject of the same voodoo talk that audio cables enjoy. Shouldn't we speak to the power company about all those miles and miles of substandard cabling which bring all that dirty power into our studios?????

I'm getting me a vintage fuse-box to replace my solid state breakers. That'll give me an edge over ALL of you.

M
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

I always walk my Nagra through the forests at night when the moon is full. Sounds LIGHTYEARS better than calibrating it
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

Calling DOT....

Where are you DOT?
Old 31st May 2006
Led
Lives for gear

I've heard you can save some and do it yourself buy putting them in an oven for 1 hour on low.
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

hahah! baking cables.....hahahah
Old 31st May 2006
Gear Head

I've heard using snake oil is good also
Old 31st May 2006
Gon
Gear Head

Have you guys seen this piece?

They make nice coat racks at least.
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

bhuhuhahahhahaaahaha ...

stop stop.... i puked myself laughing heh fuuck
Old 31st May 2006
Gon
Gear Head

Then perhaps you'll enjoy these as well! You can put these lumps of metal on almost any audio-gear, and the sound will improve.

I wonder why these guys haven't received a Nobel Prize in physics yet.
Old 31st May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterTrax
Personally, I use Pantene to condition all my cables anyway.
M
Ahahahahhhahahhhaahhhahaa!!
Old 31st May 2006
Gear Nut

Has anyone here heard any of these or any other hi-fi products in use?
Old 31st May 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1
This obviously crucial service was the subject of much good-natured fun-poking over at Craig Anderton's Harmony Central forum: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...readid=1258563

BTW... if you want a REAL laugh, check out the "Technical Papers" on the "featured product" Nordost.com website... it's a FREAKIN' HOOT!

http://www.nordost.com/Technical%20Papers/index.htm

I can only imagine what would happen if an EE candidate turned in a "technical paper" such as those on the Nordost site.

Frankly, I think this stuff would get laughed out of a university marketing class...

I'm kind of surprised there's no "multi-level marketing" component attached to this nonsense...

wow, that was some real "technical" stuff there, lol.

i love audiophiles, the products they buy give me a great laugh. A bottle of rocks, classic!!! heh
Old 31st May 2006
Gear Guru

"Through an energy conversion, inductive coupling process, the "antenna-like" circuits within SHAKTI attract and then resistively convert EMI to non-interfering heat."

AHAHAHAHAHA
Old 31st May 2006
Han
Lives for gear

You guys are amazed? Check this: http://www.furutech.com/produ_2.asp?ProdNo=242

Demag a vinyl and it sounds much better. dfegad
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

There's a ton of stupid stuff going on in the 'hifi' business.

The worst thing about it is that you can spend five figures and and up with a worse sounding setup if you're not careful.

But OTOH, guys with high-end hifi systems are the guys who are gonna actually hear and appreciate all the time and money you spend recording music.
Old 31st May 2006
Gear Guru

the funny part, they almost NEVER list prices. Thats what will really make your jaw drop!
Old 31st May 2006
Gon
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han
You guys are amazed? Check this: http://www.furutech.com/produ_2.asp?ProdNo=242

Demag a vinyl and it sounds much better. dfegad
"Demagnetization Isn’t Just For Optical Media Anymore!" - from the Furutech site.

When did media that are read with beams of light ever benefit from demagnetizing???

And what is truly amazing, is that some audiophiles claim to hear stuff like "better imaging, more defined treble, fatter bass" and so forth on digital media that has undergone some sort of voodoo-treatment.

Jitter and bit-errors I can understand to some degree, but the nuances some audiophiles report would require the power of DSP, not magnets and snake-oil...
Old 31st May 2006
Gear Addict

Sadly, there are some significant steps forward to come out of the high end audio business. But there is so much snake oil, BS and hype even mentioning something technically legitimate is probably going to result in hooting and cat calls. Among many in the recording studio world it is likely to get your credibility questioned, legitimate or not.

But when I see stuff in the Nordost ads that imply that skin effect affects audio quality I get mighty PO'd. First of all, anyone familiar with the theory knows this is just not reasonable. While there are many things in audio we can hear that don't relate to objective measures or can't be explained by known theory (yet) that doesn't mean ignoring the laws of physics is acceptable. When that line is crossed then I cry "VOODOO!".

The bad thing about this is that it obscures the legitimacy of things people really can hear that can't be explained, and does a dis-service to the advancement of the state of the art and the acceptance of things that may be legitimate improvements.
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrock305
the funny part, they almost NEVER list prices. Thats what will really make your jaw drop!

Yeah... I found a dealer for Nordost (which in Norwegian means "north cheese") here in Norway and the top of the line "Vallhala" cable costs 25,000 kroner!!!! That's $4,106 at todays exchange rate!!! Let see... I've got about 100 various cables in my studio so it'll only cost me $410,600 to replace my pedestrian cables. Hmmmm.... Let me talk to the spousal unit and get back with you...
Old 31st May 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gon
Have you guys seen this piece?

They make nice coat racks at least.

Quote:
Priced under $1000 a pair - only one set is required per system.
Old 31st May 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoisyNarrowBand
professional cable burn in anybody?! $50 per pair...

Quote:
Our service

We are now offering cable burn-in services on the brand new Nordost VIDAR machine. This service is available for any manufacturers cables.

Any? So do you suppose I should buy a 3 dollar Hosa cable and spend the $25 to burn it in?
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrock305
wow, that was some real "technical" stuff there, lol.

i love audiophiles, the products they buy give me a great laugh. A bottle of rocks, classic!!! heh
A priceless offering from the Nordost technical paper series in discussing their "flat cable":

"In contrast with the obesity of other wires, the Flatline Cable was–and still is–at 5mm thick, no fatter than a credit card. Therefore, when your eyes see flat cable, your mind should automatically make the connection with Nordost."

So then, we not only have obesity in America's children, but we have corpulence in cable.
Old 31st May 2006
Gon
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by john caldwell
So then, we not only have obesity in America's children, but we have corpulence in cable.
Sounds like a good starting point for obtaining that supa-phatt sound
Old 31st May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregl
Sadly, there are some significant steps forward to come out of the high end audio business. But there is so much snake oil, BS and hype even mentioning something technically legitimate is probably going to result in hooting and cat calls. Among many in the recording studio world it is likely to get your credibility questioned, legitimate or not.

But when I see stuff in the Nordost ads that imply that skin effect affects audio quality I get mighty PO'd. First of all, anyone familiar with the theory knows this is just not reasonable. While there are many things in audio we can hear that don't relate to objective measures or can't be explained by known theory (yet) that doesn't mean ignoring the laws of physics is acceptable. When that line is crossed then I cry "VOODOO!".

The bad thing about this is that it obscures the legitimacy of things people really can hear that can't be explained, and does a dis-service to the advancement of the state of the art and the acceptance of things that may be legitimate improvements.
Good points.
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregl
Among many in the recording studio world it is likely to get your credibility questioned, legitimate or not.
...which is a shame sometimes.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search