The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
That John Mayer Acoustic Sound
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Head

That John Mayer Acoustic Sound

I'm not sure if anyone in here is a John Mayer fan...but I am. On his first record "Room for Squares" the acoustic guitar sound blows me away. The clarity of it is awesome. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this or have any clue what kind of equipment was used. Thanks
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Head

No One listens to him obviously. If anyones heard his independent record "Inside Wants Out", even that guitar sound is really good. Im not talking about the playing but about the tone and the sound he gets.
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

I don't know about the chain etc... but i do know it was recorded here
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

Not my regular cup of tea but that album has a sweet sound indeed, just turned it on...
Mixed and produced by John Alagia btw.
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

Not really a fan, and I'm not familiar with that album, but I've heard him play before and he can really wail on electric guitar... so while I really don't enjoy his songwriting (just my personal opinion, sorry) I would assume that most of that sound comes from the man's fingers. He can really play (just like stevie ray, but great none the less)

Other than that I'd randomly guess it's a martin heavily compressed, probably tracked direct and mic'd and compensated for phase... but that's purely speculation.
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglei studio
I'm not sure if anyone in here is a John Mayer fan...but I am. On his first record "Room for Squares" the acoustic guitar sound blows me away. The clarity of it is awesome. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this or have any clue what kind of equipment was used. Thanks

Yes it is a wonderful acoustic sound he gets. I love the 'Room For Squares' record. I hate the followup. Most disappointing 2nd album in history.
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Nut

He's a really great player, one of the best new guys I've heard in a while. Most people just know him for the pop stuff but check out his live CD with Steve Jordan and Pino Palladino, totally different then what you've heard on the radio. A lot more bluesy, heavy SRV influence, killer tone and an awesome cover of Wait Till Tomorrow on there. It's almost like he's two different artists, sometimes doing the chick songs and then at others he's a blues wailer.

As far as his acoustic sound I've always seen him with a Martin and his rhythm doesn't leave the pocket so that's probably 90% of what you're hearing.
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Head

Yeah i have the John Mayer Trio album...very awesome. I love blues. His second album was a dissappointment at first but it grows on you if you listen to it.
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Yeah i have the John Mayer Trio album...very awesome. I love blues. His second album was a dissappointment at first but it grows on you if you listen to it.

The second album seems like he just set the cruise control and fell asleep. I have the record and it just doesn't compare with the first, which I think is awesome.

I'll have to check out the blues record.
Old 30th May 2006

And now for the info you are looking for:

I was told that most of the album was tracked in a living room with several channels of discreet Neve preamps. I can't remember the model, but I believe they were the broadcast equivalent of a 1066 or 1073... So, there you go...
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont

I was told that most of the album was tracked in a living room with several channels of discreet Neve preamps. I can't remember the model, but I believe they were the broadcast equivalent of a 1066 or 1073... So, there you go...
Great...would you happen to know the microphone heh
Old 30th May 2006
A huge part of his sound is the small body Martin he uses, probably a 000
Old 31st May 2006
Gear Head

Thanks, may I ask how you know.

And yes he is a tremendous guitar player...he's one of the few popular musicians that actually has some talent.

AKG C 460 B?
Old 31st May 2006

Quote:
Great...would you happen to know the microphone heh
I believe it was a U67 for vocals... but, that I'm not positive on.
Old 31st May 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab
A huge part of his sound is the small body Martin he uses, probably a 000

I had a Martin M-38 which I think is similar, very narrow body.

Records and plays like a dream! thumbsup

Old 31st May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great
Yes it is a wonderful acoustic sound he gets. I love the 'Room For Squares' record. I hate the followup. Most disappointing 2nd album in history.
I hated it at first but there are some really good songs on that album and I have grown to appreciate it, only what's up with all that distortion? I doubt it's the mastering engineer's fault, it is WAY too distorted for it to be an artistic choice ... stike
Old 31st May 2006
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont

much of it was in a living room on the eastern shore of maryland. other parts were NYC. hit up jeff juliano (http://myspace.com/jeffjuliano) for the specs as he engineered and mixed it with alagia.

-s
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

John Mayer is a f'n genius musician. I really enjoy his songs.

As for the guitar, if I had to guess I'd say DPA's or something similar. I'm inclined to believe it is a very accurate recording of his guitar sound in the room.....
Old 31st May 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottspelbring
much of it was in a living room on the eastern shore of maryland. other parts were NYC. hit up jeff juliano (http://myspace.com/jeffjuliano) for the specs as he engineered and mixed it with alagia.

-s
Hey Scott,

Welcome to Gearslutz! I haven't talked to you in a couple of years... Drop me a Private Message when you get a chance and let me know how the studio is...
Old 31st May 2006
Gear Head

johns guitar set up

a k&m amp --thats his electric sound - this was on his heavier things cd the acoustic sound i'm not sure -I like his stuff- good guitar player!!!!

tom
Old 31st May 2006
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissolva
I emailed Jeff Juliano who is a super-cool guy.
Hey dissolva- glad he got back to you. We work on a bunch of things together and I figured he wouldn't mind the tech questions -s
Old 31st May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great
I had a Martin M-38 which I think is similar, very narrow body.

Records and plays like a dream! thumbsup

you cant beat small body acoustics.
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab
you cant beat small body acoustics.
I agree 100%. I just bought a small body acoustic (1957 Gibson LG-3)

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...tem=7416029411

Old 1st June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottspelbring
Hi Scott,

Welcome to the neighborhood. Nice to see you here. How was Asia?

Scott makes good sounding records by the way.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search