The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Setting A&H R16 as ADAT Slave? Audio Interfaces
Old 2nd May 2012
Gear Maniac

Setting A&H R16 as ADAT Slave?

(FWIW, found the answer. If the 'Sync Source' is set to ADAT, the A&H ZED R16 is in slave mode. Since no one has responded, I'd delete this post, but I don't know how.)

Has anyone here successfully slaved a A&H ZED R16 with ADAT? I want to slave it to my RME Digiface.

In the Dice software control panel there is a 'drop down' box for selecting clock master. The manual states that this is where the master clock options are to be chosen. Underneath is a 'drop down' box for selecting sync source as internal or ADAT.

What is confusing to me is that in the clock master drop down box ... even though it drops down ... there is only one option, which is the ZED R16 itself. How are you supposed get the software to recognize other clock sources?

Or is the unit simply automatically slaved when ADAT sync is chosen?

In which case, what is the purpose of the master clock selection box?

To be clear, I have been connected via FW while attempting these settings in the software.

Thanks.

Prado

Last edited by prado escondido; 2nd May 2012 at 09:21 PM.. Reason: Question answered.
Old 22nd April 2013
Here for the gear

I'm with you in the same boat!! Plz someone?? Help?

I have zed r16 and rme babyface
I want rme master , zed r16 slave .
The rme shows sync!!! But I dont get signal from any chanel zed r16 to my baby
Old 22nd April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by prado escondido View Post
(FWIW, found the answer. If the 'Sync Source' is set to ADAT, the A&H ZED R16 is in slave mode. Since no one has responded, I'd delete this post, but I don't know how.)

Has anyone here successfully slaved a A&H ZED R16 with ADAT? I want to slave it to my RME Digiface.

In the Dice software control panel there is a 'drop down' box for selecting clock master. The manual states that this is where the master clock options are to be chosen. Underneath is a 'drop down' box for selecting sync source as internal or ADAT.

What is confusing to me is that in the clock master drop down box ... even though it drops down ... there is only one option, which is the ZED R16 itself. How are you supposed get the software to recognize other clock sources?

Or is the unit simply automatically slaved when ADAT sync is chosen?

In which case, what is the purpose of the master clock selection box?

To be clear, I have been connected via FW while attempting these settings in the software.

Thanks.

Prado
Hey there Prado!...
When I used the ZEDR16 as ADAT with my RME FF800 everything in the RME was set as "internal" master and ADAT from the ZED was handled by the RME automatically. It will use ADAT signals coming into it and syncs it for you. There wasn't anything to do in the DICE box because that driver only applies to when the ZED is a master and taking ADAT in from an external device. Then that driver has to manage everything.
You will know it's working when you look at your DAW connections or TotalMix.
Old 23rd April 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmukilteo View Post
Hey there Prado!...
When I used the ZEDR16 as ADAT with my RME FF800 everything in the RME was set as "internal" master and ADAT from the ZED was handled by the RME automatically. It will use ADAT signals coming into it and syncs it for you. There wasn't anything to do in the DICE box because that driver only applies to when the ZED is a master and taking ADAT in from an external device. Then that driver has to manage everything.
You will know it's working when you look at your DAW connections or TotalMix.
TotalMix reflects any audio signal ... even unsynced digital distortion!

Anyway, my ADAT has been working fine for quite a while ... though I do have to plugin the FW cable for 15 seconds or so about every other boot to get the ZED ADAT to Sync with ADAT from my Mackie 800R, both on the DigiFace. A hassle, but a cheap work around.

TBH, I've never gotten a complete grip on the Hammerfall DSP Settings. I am running two RME units, one on PCI and one on PCIe, which I sync with S/PDIF.

But it all works and I'm a big adherent of 'if it ain't broke ... '

I am wondering with the probably demise of FW, whether A&H might have plans to make a straight ADAT version with proper Wordclock. Or maybe a Thunderbolt model with more i/o?

Prado
Old 23rd April 2013
Here for the gear

Hey there Prado,

I do not understand!
do you successful relationship between ZED R16 and FF800, or not?

I can not get an answer or help from anyone...
I simply want my babyface will the master sound system control and ZED R16 be slave, to expand the number of inputs my babyface (through ADAT).

My babyface ID the optical input signal. Even green Led ON, (not blinking).
Totalmix shows ADAT channel -97 dB input signal, but ZED R16 no output any signal (apart static signal of -97db)

What should I do?
I beg lol
Old 23rd April 2013
Gear Maniac

Yamos ...

I'm sorry, I was replying more to DJMukilteo. My system is working fine, but I do not have RME FW Product.

I was just saying that when two devices, the ZED and a Mackie 800R were both going into the RME DigiFace, which has 3 pairs of 8 channel inputs, I see signal activity in TotalMix (more the -97 db!) when they aren't synced. Once synced, the channels go quiet.

I am not a very sophisticated trouble shooter.

1. I don't know how many ADAT i/o ports the BabyFace has. Have you tried changing which ZED ADAT ports, i.e., 1-8 or 9-16, you are sending from by switching cables?

2. Are you sure you've set the ADAT switch on the back of the ZED correctly?

3. Look for Gearslutz user 'AlienHeath' and send him a private message. He helped me out in the past. He is a designer of the ZED R16.

4. Check with the RME forum to ensure your BabyFace is working properly and any tips for using the ADAT.

4. There are really only so many possibilities. a) something is connected improperly or switched improperly, b) or, there is a defect with either the ADAT ports on the ZED or the BabyFace, or with your optical cables.

5. Do you have access to any other equipment with ADAT ports to check to see if the BabyFace is working properly?

I know how frustrating these things can be ... but that's all the help I can think of. Good luck!

Prado
Old 23rd April 2013
Here for the gear

Thanks allot for your help starting to lose my mind but like you said i will seek out for help in forums...
I really appreciate for your time
TNX
Yamos
Old 23rd April 2013
Lives for gear

Yamos,
The Babyface only has a single ADAT optical input/output so you could only have 8 ZED channels at 44.1 or 48. At 88.2, 96 it gets reduced to 4 channels and at 192 to 2.
Which if your using the Babyface as the master and the ZED as the ADAT device you would never get all 18 audio channels of the ZED available to you.
I would think you would be better off using the ZED with FW into your computer and then connecting the Babyface as the ADAT device!
The other way around makes no sense at all. But then maybe I misunderstand what you are trying to do?!

Prado, that sounds like a pretty unique setup you got there...if I understand correctly that's two internal "mixed" PCI buss interface cards and 2 external interfaces each with FW?!
Hard for me to comprehend how that all works....LOL
I wonder what the FW "plug in" workaround is actually doing?
Have you thought about using an external word clock...??
Not sure if that is possible but just a thought!>
BTW was there a reason you didn't post this stuff in the main ZEDR16 thread?
It is getting huge, but I think it's followed by more users...and it has a ton of good info in it.

Someone can probably explain this better than I can and correct me if I'm wrong, but ADAT has it's own sync "packet" embedded along with the digital data. It's part of the data stream protocol.
All ADAT capable devices use that packet to sync and then buffer the digital data coming in. Same thing when transmitting ADAT data OUT.
So as long as your device can detect the ADAT sync packet and "lock" onto it then the device needs nothing else from the ADAT device. There's really no master slave kind of situation. Any problems will come from the device itself not being able to properly buffer and lock the data.
When an ADAT capable device is "receiving" ADAT data IN from another device then it's totally up to each device to sync and lock onto the incoming data packets with no need for any shared or external clock mechanism.
One thing that many devices fall short on is how well a device handles multiple incoming data sync or clocking schemes. RME has a pretty sophisticated internal PLL clocking system which is why it is considered to be the best most stable system. It even has the "Auto" feature which takes care of everything.
Old 23rd April 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Yamos,

Prado, that sounds like a pretty unique setup you got there...if I understand correctly that's two internal "mixed" PCI buss interface cards and 2 external interfaces each with FW?!
Hard for me to comprehend how that all works....LOL
I wonder what the FW "plug in" workaround is actually doing?
Have you thought about using an external word clock...??
Not sure if that is possible but just a thought!>
BTW was there a reason you didn't post this stuff in the main ZEDR16 thread?

It is getting huge, but I think it's followed by more users...and it has a ton of good info in it.

DJM ...

Enquiring minds want to know. I started with the RME Multiface II and bought a used Mackie 800R for analog in from a bank of synths and ADAT out to the extra ADAT port on the Multiface. It gave me 16 i/o between the Multiface (8x8 analog plus 8x8 ADAT at 44.1k and 2x2 stereo S/PDIF). The HDSP card for the Multiface was PCI.

When I decided to get the ZED I wanted to retain my RME drivers and TotalMix, so I bought a Digiface with HDSP PCIe card (3 pairs of 8x8 ADAT and 2x2 S/PDIF).

Since each interface card presents a separate TotalMix interface, i.e., they cannot be integrated into a single TotalMix mixer, I decided to move my 800R off the Multiface and onto the Digiface so all my basic inputs were available in the single mixer. I then synced the two RME cards with S/PDIF out from one and into the other.

For whatever reason, I had sync issues on the ZED in to the Multiface via ADAT. Changing the Dice driver setting is what was recommended ... and it worked except for the occasional dropout of sync on boot. However, once I plug in the FW cable, the sync is solid as long as the session is up.

So, technically, I am not using FW at all with the audio or really even to sync after that first plugin. I can then unplug the FW cable and it continues to work fine.

So I have 36 channels of analog to digital i/o through the Digiiface, 8 more unused ADAT i/o in the Multiface plus the 8 analog i/o in the Multiface. All I'll ever need.

It also gives me a lot of break out options, including pulling the ZED and using it FW on a mobile setup. I bought a big old Gator case for it ... but have never used it so far as it turned out the my Dell laptop is incompatible with the A&H FW drivers.

Finally, I started this separate thread originally because I thought it might get more attention than at the end of a 100+ thread.

Whether that's true or not, I have no way of finding out.

Prado
Old 24th April 2013
Lives for gear

Very interesting setup...I bet you get good low latency that way though!
I guess the ZED FW must have something to do with it knowing it's supposed to just transmit ADAT.....??
I have to agree that thread is so big now, people get lost!...LOL
Old 24th April 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Very interesting setup...I bet you get good low latency that way though!
I guess the ZED FW must have something to do with it knowing it's supposed to just transmit ADAT.....??
I have to agree that thread is so big now, people get lost!...LOL
Yes, I record at 32 samples at 44.1K. Doesn't get much better than that.

I don't really know what pluging in the FW does to help the ADAT sync. i was thinking it somehow 'woke up' the drivers. Who knows?

Prado
Old 24th April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by prado escondido View Post
Yes, I record at 32 samples at 44.1K. Doesn't get much better than that.

I don't really know what pluging in the FW does to help the ADAT sync. i was thinking it somehow 'woke up' the drivers. Who knows?

Prado
Not that it matters because you can get it to work but is it possible you need to power up certain components in some sequence?
The only reason I say that is I've heard some people have problems with computer cards (like the UA cards) not always initializing on boot.
Just a thought but maybe the PCI cards aren't ready to accept the ADAT optical input. So either the ZED needs to be on first or the computer has to be on first. And you know how long some computers take to actually be fully settled...
Old 24th April 2013
Gear Maniac

My whole studio, including the computer, is daisy-chained star fashion through a single mains outlet using surge protector power strips. So the computer gets power with everything else, but has to then be separately turned on later.

FWIW, Mike/ AlienHeath, told me I shouldn't have to plug the FW in and out after I first setup the ADAT in Dice ... but I do. I'm running a lot of things on my system ... the two RME cards, two UAD2 cards, 5 USB multiport midi devices, an iLok and a Syncrosoft dongle, etc., etc.

I'm mostly amazed and oh,so happy it all works.

Prado
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search