The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is It Time To Give Up? Dynamics Plugins
Old 25th September 2003
Gear Addict

Is It Time To Give Up?

We all spend so much time and money and energy comparing notes and trying to find a way to get GOOD or GREAT sound from equipment that ranges from stellar to garbage - but in then end maybe all of that is secondary....if one considers this:

http://www.vansevers.com

By my rough calculation - it would take somewhere betrween 5k-20k (depending on the size of your studio) just to get the AC and cabling right - in order to be able to understand what any peice of gear is capable of producing and how they work correctly together.

Further - if one follows the logic of vanevers and invest in the proper components - it would seem as though the only *solution* short of spending huge bucks on just the AC and audio cables and wood block resonators - would be to get your AC and cabling "right" and have just 1 supercomputer - and truly have it all in one box.

I respect vanevers for his innovations - and it causes me to re-evaluate everything that I think I know about audio production.

what do you think?

Ed
Old 25th September 2003
I think if you're going to upgrade your AC cord, you might wanna check out the $0.30/foot romex in the wall...
Old 25th September 2003
Lives for gear

Yes. Give up. Make music and have fun. Don't buy pro gear because you don't need it. Be happy and spend your money on stuff that is fun or charity.

I just said the same thing to someone else here.
Old 25th September 2003
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by faeflora
Yes. Give up. Make music and have fun. Don't buy pro gear because you don't need it. Be happy and spend your money on stuff that is fun or charity.

I just said the same thing to someone else here.
I wish this were true for me ( I understand that it is a decision). I have become extremely dissatisfied with the sonic results of my DAW work, and this has caused me to forget everything that I thought I knew and rebuild from the bottom up. But I hear ya - you have to draw the line somewhere. And if it ain't fun that is what will be heard first.

cheers

Ed
Old 25th September 2003
Gear Nut

A $300 mechanically tuneable power cord. You so crazy (and I mean that literally).
Old 25th September 2003
Lives for gear

I'm just annoyed I didn't think of this scam first.

"Good day Sir, can I interest you in a Chromatic Power Cable? Guaranteed to improve my bank balance by 500% percent!"

heh
Old 25th September 2003
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by quasimodonyc
A $300 mechanically tuneable power cord. You so crazy (and I mean that literally).
I know. If this is true - it will tell us all that we have been crazy from the start. Entertaining even the idea makes me feel crazy. But I also wonder if perhaps there is a thread of useful info in this way of thinking w/re to the generally substandard results that coming from in-the-box DAW summing (i.e. where the weaknesses in our systems will shopw themselves the most clearly.)
Old 25th September 2003
(hint)

It's not true...

(/hint)
Old 25th September 2003
Lives for gear

Can anyone tell me what kind of electric cable the Beatles plugged their amps into? I’m tying to get that Beatle sound.

BTW: Does it really matter if I use Fender or Vox - I figure if I get the AC cable right...
Old 25th September 2003
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by bassmac
Can anyone tell me what kind of electric cable the Beatles plugged their amps into? I’m tying to get that Beatle sound.

BTW: Does it really matter if I use Fender or Vox - I figure if I get the AC cable right...
My understanding is that they didn't use cables at all - at least not like we understand them today. No, in fact it was very finely spooled and tuned hemp fibres - some connected to the "amp" and some secured firmly in "the pocket"

that's be $3000.00 please.
Old 25th September 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by bassmac

Munster Cable has 'Rock' and 'Jazz' cables, I sugest you wait until they come out with a 'Beatle' cable.

Between you and Faeflora, I am dying here...
Old 25th September 2003
Gear Addict

I've heard this good advice many times - so its my turn to pass it on.

If you can quit anything - you should!

Which is the round about way of saying that you should only pursure those activites that you just cannot leave put - those things that you have to do. It is only these things that you will do well.

Alternatively - quit everythiing - the Buddha will be proud.
Old 26th September 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Turpin
I quit everything for a year once, but I had to un-quit it when it was time to pay all the bills (and all the bills I had neglected for $o long). I didn't do it for Buddha, although you could say it was for religious reasons. I wanted to live with ease, and for the most part, I did.

If this is really about doing what you enjoy, there are two ways to live that I can think of which allow for that:

1. Move to a place where doing what you want to do isn't in conflict with doing what you enjoy. This can be a physical location, though some would say finding this place in your mind is far more important.

2. Stay where you are and do what you enjoy. Hopefully doing what you enjoy paves the way over that which would challenge you.

Either way, you have to find out what it is you really enjoy.
Old 27th September 2003
Lives for gear

that's wonderful.
his stuff must be used on tons of fine audio reproductions
i'm suprised he doesn't list all his credits cuz all the big guys MUST be using his stuff, i mean how else could they get it to sound sooooo....GOOD!
Old 27th September 2003
Lives for gear

Have you given up yet? If not I can help more.
Old 28th September 2003
Lives for gear

O, by the way.....
if you cannot quite something, then you REALLY should
me, i can quite antytime i want
hell, i've quite a 1000 times, so there.
tutt
Old 28th September 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by catfish11
O, by the way.....
if you cannot quite something, then you REALLY should
me, i can quite antytime i want
hell, i've quite a 1000 times, so there.
tutt
shh! ... be quiet, I'm not quite sure he has quit.

Sorry catfish, I couldn't help myself, and I just don't know what you're talking about otherwise.
Old 28th September 2003
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by faeflora
Have you given up yet? If not I can help more.
Absolutely.

BTW I did send vansevers an email describing my studio - and asking for recommendations and a general tally of what "wood" (pun intended) be necessary to upgrade using his products, and where I wood start to see the best improvement - i.e. his line conditioners and power cables or the wood block resonator set.

no reply.

I have learned over time - when they do not reply - it means: "don't ask"
Old 28th September 2003
Gear Addict

http://www.vansevers.com/pocket_rocket.html

http://www.vansevers.com/grip_tone.html

jeez, all these years i guess i shoulda considered getting my condoms in cocobolo...stike thumbsup

ml
Old 28th September 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've heard this good advice many times - so its my turn to pass it on.

If you can quit anything - you should!

Which is the round about way of saying that you should only pursure those activites that you just cannot leave put - those things that you have to do. It is only these things that you will do well.

09-25-2003 08:12 PM

Jax
Lives for gear

quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Paul Turpin
------------------------------------------------------------------------

I quit everything for a year once, but I had to un-quit it when it was time to pay all the bills (and all the bills I had neglected for $o long). I didn't do it for Buddha, although you could say it was for religious reasons. I wanted to live with ease, and for the most part, I did.

If this is really about doing what you enjoy, there are two ways to live that I can think of which allow for that:

1. Move to a place where doing what you want to do isn't in conflict with doing what you enjoy. This can be a physical location, though some would say finding this place in your mind is far more important.

2. Stay where you are and do what you enjoy. Hopefully doing what you enjoy paves the way over that which would challenge you.

Either way, you have to find out what it is you really enjoy.

Old 29th September 2003
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by edmann
Absolutely.

BTW I did send vansevers an email describing my studio - and asking for recommendations ...

no reply.

I have learned over time - when they do not reply - it means: "don't ask"
In All Fairness to Mr. Mike Vans Evers, I did just receive this reponse frm him:

Ed,
If you use a "balanced" approach, you can get better sound. That is, a mix
of approaches. The Equitech is good as far as it goes. However, it isn't a
magic bullet. I usually advise using one or more of my conditioners in
conjunction with a balanced power conditioner if that is what the client
already owns. That way you save some money and still improve your set up.
I recommend that you do only what is necessary to move your system to the
next level sonically. That is, you don't have to redo your whole system to
improve your sound. You may want to at some point, but that will be after
you have some experience with my products.
I like cymbals to sound like cymbals, not a gated white noise generator. I
like vocals to sound natural, without all the extras that seem to coat them
these days. However, you may feel differently. If you are getting the exact
sound you want you may not need to change anything. If you want smoother
highs, or warmer mids, or more detail in your mix, you will have specific
tonal needs. What I have done is to create a methodology to help you get the
tonality you want. I make products with a known sound (every product has
one, even the one that say they don't). If you want more of "X" then you
will need product ___ to move the overall sound in that direction. Until you
have things set up, you won't know which direction you would like your
system's tonality to go.
I have over a dozen of the musicians in our area orchestra (The Florida
Orchestra) using my resonators--from strings to woodwinds and brass. I can
make any instrument sound better--studios too. I use acoustic, power, and
signal path techniques, all with their roots in the mechanical realm.

Take care,
Mike Vans Evers
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search