The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
EV PL6 question
Old 29th May 2006
Lives for gear

EV PL6 question

I just got hold of an Electrovoice PL 6 mic. It's in pretty good shape and a quick A/B with a SM58 showed less highs but richer mids. And a less pronounced proximity effect.

Does anyone here know what applications this mic was used/intended/known for?
(besides "try it and see what works best for you", which I'll do anyway)

Thanks
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Andy, If memory serves me I think this is the same as the ev 660. Here is a link to countant for some stuff. http://www.coutant.org/660/index.html
I like it for guitar cabs. It is a lot like a re10/15 but with a little less top end/ more lo-fi sound. Still very pleasant and musical.
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks for the link.
The housing definitely has the same shape, so it might well be a low-cost spinoff off the same mic (with the PL in the name).
The main difference I can tell so far is: the 660 is supercardioid, while the PL6 is a cardioid.
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

We have a pair of EV PL6s here. They are a nice piece of kit so congratulations on acquiring one.

They are great on percussion (esp toms, timbales, congas etc) and will produce a lush full-bodied sound when used on grand piano played in rock and blues styles. The venting arrangement makes them less position sensitive than other dynamics. They are robust, dependable and versatile and suit a range of roles which overlap with 57s, but they provide a notably different character and sonic imprint. Definitely worth having in your repertoire.
Old 22nd July 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by andychamp View Post
Thanks for the link.
The housing definitely has the same shape, so it might well be a low-cost spinoff off the same mic (with the PL in the name).
The main difference I can tell so far is: the 660 is supercardioid, while the PL6 is a cardioid.
I thought the same thing, until I read the service manuals and looked at the polar patterns--they are identical. I own both, and they seem identical to my ears

anyone else try these mics?

I have had good luck with them on kick drum and on guitar amps, so far. a decent tom sound but not my favorite (maybe good for jazz?). not suitable for my voice.

definitely built solidly
Old 29th August 2013
Here for the gear

as a trombonist/vocalist i use the pl6 as my all-purpose travel work mic.
its polar response is great for plunger mute work!
and its colour is nice balance between sm57 & sm58.
so enjoy!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search