The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
estimate avg. max volume of rock band in a room?
Old 29th May 2006
Lives for gear

estimate avg. max volume of rock band in a room?

alrighty,

would anyone care to estimate the average maximum volume one might expect to get from a rock band of any sort rehearsing in a room of 12.5' x 20' x 10' with a vocal PA, for planning some sound isolation measures.

thanks,

regards,

richie.
Old 29th May 2006
Gear Maniac

last night i did a live mix of an emo/metal band at a club with full sound system and they were sitting at around 103-107db however that is with a fully mic'ed drumkit and everything else, so i would figure it'd be less than that
Old 29th May 2006
Lives for gear

Well, how much sound can be allowed to leak?
Old 29th May 2006
Lives for gear

as little as possible max!

im just trying to figure out if a custom iso-booth from someone like soundsuckers.com would give enough isolation for my purposes.

this purpose would be to have more than 1 of these big booths in a large building for use as rehearsal / recording rooms, 6" to 1' apart. i was thinking of hanging big sheets of mineral-laden material in between them to knock off another few db if necessary.

regards,

richie.
Old 29th May 2006
Lives for gear

Hey, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the only way to contain a loud rock band almost completely is gonna be with something solid like cinder blocks filled with something, or maybe steel plate.

Maybe you could do it with some kind of soft material, but maybe it would take most of the square footage available.

So, you need a whole band to be able to play in there?
Old 29th May 2006
Lives for gear

well that's the plan.

i'm figuring on getting an average of 30dB reduction across the frequency range (except for the really low stuff, obviously) each way from these booths, which means that the sound from the band in the booth next door is cut by 60dB when you're sealed in your one.

and if i hung some MASSIVE isolating drapes (ie heavy mineral-laden stuff, right across the width of the building from the floor up to above the booths) in the gap between them i could get at least another 10dB down.

so, once you start playing in yours you can't hear anyone else, when you're not playing probably a bit of low rumble.

whaddayathink?

regards,

richie.
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

bumpage!

any thoughts on this?

anyone?

regards,

richie
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

recently i did the soundengineering for a live show of a real loud metalband on a radioshow from the station i sometimes work for, and then we got 112db in the studio. (2 full marshall stacks, an peavey 300W bassamp and a drummer who played real hard, so hard he trashed one of his rides by hitting it). while soundchecking it did reach trough the isolated walls till the presenting booth (trough 2 other studio rooms). that's why we measured it btw.
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

thanks waxx, useful stuff.

regards,

richie.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search