caught you lookin'
Attached Thumbnails
Check out the pair of U87's I built...-gazer.jpg  
Old 1st May 2012
here i am kissing one while the other watches jealous, angered
Attached Thumbnails
Check out the pair of U87's I built...-kissy1.jpg  
Old 1st May 2012
she turns away, unable to watch. that's ok, there is an internal switch to change to figure 8 or omni, so she will still hear everything...
Attached Thumbnails
Check out the pair of U87's I built...-kissy2.jpg  
Old 1st May 2012
Lives for gear

i'd like to place an order
Old 1st May 2012
Gear Guru

hey man .. you 3 should get an Anechoic Chamber ... would ya .. LOL ok hotel room for those that just got up ..
Old 1st May 2012
Lives for gear

Real slutz go slutty and show us what they look like naked! Show and tell us what these twins are like in the buff! And how they sing!
Old 1st May 2012
Gear Guru

ooh yeah, naughty mic pics ... feel free to put black bars over the naughty bits ... those look really nice ... would love to hear some raw tracks ...
Old 2nd May 2012
Lives for gear

How did you build them , bought a Kit ?
Old 2nd May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScumBum View Post
How did you build them , bought a Kit ?
PCB from Dan/poctop, available here

Peluso P-K87 capsules

Tab-Funkenwerk/AMI T13 transformers

Raw bodies from Aurycle

Polystyrene and Tantalum capacitors, vintage-style baby

patience, attention to detail, "skillz"
Old 2nd May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeptusmajor View Post
PCB from Dan/poctop, available here

Peluso P-K87 capsules

Tab-Funkenwerk/AMI T13 transformers

Raw bodies from Aurycle

Polystyrene and Tantalum capacitors, vintage-style baby

patience, attention to detail, "skillz"
I wanna build a pair . How much did everything cost ?
Old 2nd May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScumBum View Post
I wanna build a pair . How much did everything cost ?
probably around $800-900 altogether for the pair. got the capsules on a group buy deal though. there's lots of ways you could take it with budget and flavor in mind.
Old 2nd May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddageek View Post
Real slutz go slutty and show us what they look like naked!...
Well of course you can see me naked!

$$$...but it will cost you...$$$
Old 2nd May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well of course you can see me naked!

$$$...but it will cost you...$$$
Man until I read your reply I didn't even think of it as YOU! Must be getting old. I wana see the inside of the MICS!
Old 2nd May 2012
member no 666

The head baskets look wrong. It could be the photography, or it could be that the head baskets are wrong. They're a HUGE part of the sound of a U-87!

Peace
Old 2nd May 2012
Lives for gear

They are a huge part of every microphone. Now go and have a look at all those microphones modeled after blahblah and built with the spirit of yaddayadda in mind....

Last edited by jensenmann; 2nd May 2012 at 08:43 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 2nd May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
The head baskets look wrong. It could be the photography, or it could be that the head baskets are wrong. They're a HUGE part of the sound of a U-87!

Peace
Yeah, they are close but probably not exactly right. I wasn't going to buy a real U87 to be a donor body for a DIY U87.

It's unfortunate, too, because the mics actually sound really good. But of course I will eventually put them up against a real U87, and if they don't null each other out I will throw my mics in the trash and then kill myself.
Old 2nd May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, they are close but probably not exactly right. I wasn't going to buy a real U87 to be a donor body for a DIY U87.

It's unfortunate, too, because the mics actually sound really good. But of course I will eventually put them up against a real U87, and if they don't null each other out I will throw my mics in the trash and then kill myself.
Now that's what I call dedication...
Old 2nd May 2012
Gear Maniac
Quote:

hahahahahaha!
Old 2nd May 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Make sure you do it right. A true slut with honor would plunge it into his gut and disembowel himself.
Old 2nd May 2012
Quote:
But of course I will eventually put them up against a real U87, and if they don't null each other out I will throw my mics in the trash and then kill myself.
Love it.
Old 2nd May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
Make sure you do it right. A true slut with honor would plunge it into his gut and disembowel himself.

excellent point.

mental note taken.
Old 2nd May 2012
member no 666

Quote:
Then your next DIY project should be the creation of your very own tanto... two 87's next to each other won't "null"; so in the true Samurai tradition you will require a tanto to do the honorable thing.

Peace
Old 2nd May 2012
Quote:
Then your next DIY project should be the creation of your very own tanto... two 87's next to each other won't "null"; so in the true Samurai tradition you will require a tanto to do the honorable thing.

Peace
Well I actually have been working out a method to get two masses (read: diaphragms) to occupy the same space at the same time. Physics be damned, just tired of hearing how every shootout that has ever been conducted is scientifically inaccurate. more on that later.

And I do already own swords, blades, plenty of other weapons that would sufficiently serve the purpose to at least come "close enough" to recreating a "vintage style seppuku". But I am rather fond of the idea of using one of the flawed mics to do the deed. It seems that it's blunt surface would inflict a lot more pain, which I probably deserve, and if I am unsuccessful at that, at least the force of the blows would very probably flatten out the slight curve at the top making the head basket that much closer to the real thing. Then I could go back to "null" testing and restart this vicious cycle.
Old 2nd May 2012
Gear Guru

Don't you f***kin dare sharpen the edge of the capsule!
Old 2nd May 2012
Congratulations on your twins! They look sweet. That is quite some dedication.
Old 3rd May 2012
Lives for gear

Great work! They look great, I'd love to hear some clips!
Old 8th August 2012
Holy **** this is the funniest thread I've ever read. Thanks adeptus, I needed a good laugh. If you test it against a real u87 and if it doesn't null could you record the sound of the clones being thrust into your abdomen, then post some clips if possible.
Old 10th September 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Peace
would you please elaborate on what you've just said or is this again some psychoacoustic thingy?
Old 10th September 2012
Gear Head

Headbaskets are acoustical chambers. They have resonances. The size and shape of the headbasket has influence on the sound. In addition, the mesh used for the grill can change the sound as well. A lot of care goes into a well designed mic's headbasket. It's not just the capsule and electronics. Different layers of mesh, the pattern, and the sizes of the openings all effect the sound.
Adding a layer of finer opening mesh can attenuate high frequencies and can be used to tame sibilant frequency ranges. There's a science to it. It's not as simple as sticking a screen over the capsule to protect it.
Stephen Paul wrote some great articles in Mix magazine years ago that explains some of this. His studies of the U-47's headbasket is very interesting. He did frequency measurements with the headbasket on and off a U-47 to show the differences. You can still find those articles on the Stephen Paul Audio website I believe?
Old 18th February 2013
Gear Maniac

Maybe the best thread ever.

πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear