Holiday shop via this link to support the forum!
Mixing 101 with EzDrummer?
Old 28th April 2012
Gear Head

Mixing 101 with EzDrummer?

Hi guys,

I'm having trouble to get my mixes sounding loud. I know that mastering is supposed to be the stage where most of this occurs, but I'm sure that my premaster mixes are sounding way too soft - yet the levels are still peaking (or the slightest touch of limiter squishes the sound).

Please, give me a 101 on mixing using EzDrummer as the drums as a base. I can't even get a simple drum track to sound loud. I've isolated each channel of the drumkit, added some compression to snare etc. The db value of the drums track is peaking about +1db on the fader - so I drag it down to -6db or so. Does this have no effect on the final master however? How do I keep the track sounding LOUD, without having to move the faders. Surely they can't be any more compressed.... heck I even tried absolutely no compression on EzDrummer, and when I try to add Waves Ultramaximizer - the loudest it can possibly get without squishing is still very soft.

Pictures or any references would really help too.

Some of my mixes are sitting around -1db on the OUTPUT channel, with EzDrummer peaking around -4db (although it peaks when it's at 0db...)
Loading mentioned products ...

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search