The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
5.1 analogue source switching Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 27th April 2012
Gear Nut

5.1 analogue source switching

I'm wondering if any of you can help me...

I'm looking for a cost-effective but high quality solution which will allow me to switch my monitoring between two sets of analogue 5.1 inputs.

It's a seemingly simple ask, however professional solutions start at around £500+, which seems like crazy money for something which is essentially 6 relays in a rack case.

The only other solution which has been suggested is to get a D-Type printer switch box - they only cost around £10, however getting the D-Type cable looms to wire it up would cost £180...and I'd be a little concerned about the quality of the switch unit itself.

Does anybody know of something in-between that is of decent quality and designed for audio, but at a more sensible price point?
Old 27th April 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurodriver View Post
I'm wondering if any of you can help me...

I'm looking for a cost-effective but high quality solution which will allow me to switch my monitoring between two sets of analogue 5.1 inputs.

It's a seemingly simple ask, however professional solutions start at around £500+, which seems like crazy money for something which is essentially 6 relays in a rack case.

The only other solution which has been suggested is to get a D-Type printer switch box - they only cost around £10, however getting the D-Type cable looms to wire it up would cost £180...and I'd be a little concerned about the quality of the switch unit itself.

Does anybody know of something in-between that is of decent quality and designed for audio, but at a more sensible price point?
5.1 music creation gear at the budget end is scarce, because it's difficult to do 5.1 on a budget - its difficult to get accurate stereo monitoring on a budget, let alone an accurate 5.1 room! Plus of course the market for 5.1 creation for fun/demos etc is small - most people don't have an ac3 encoder!

Anyway, I reckon your best bet is to look for a 2nd hand audient or spl controller. Shouldn't be stupidly expensive.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search