The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Improving Monitoring / Speaker positions
Old 28th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Improving Monitoring / Speaker positions

Hi!

I need some tips for improving my mixing / speaker / sub position:

I use 2x Adam P22a and 1x Adam Sub12. At the moment, I experience different bass translation problems: Some frequencies are missing (dips), some are too much (reso). (Schrank = cabinet, it goes from floor to ceiling)

Thanks in advance!

Volker
Old 28th May 2006
Gear Guru

Volker,

> I need some tips for improving my mixing / speaker / sub position ... Some frequencies are missing (dips), some are too much (reso). <

Looking at your drawing I can see why. heh

First, the listening position is very close to the center of the room front to back. The ideal place to sit is where your ears are about 38 percent of the way back from the front wall - the wall you're facing.

But even the most ideal speaker and listener placement cannot overcome the peaks and nulls and ringing common to all rooms like this. To solve that you need bass traps. The more traps you have in the room corners, the flatter and tighter the low end will be. It's as simple as that. For a room that size at least four bass traps are needed, and even 12 wouldn't be too many.

You should also experiment with subwoofer placement. However, the only way to know which place is best is to measure the low frequency response to a very high accuracy. Typical third-octave analyzers are inadequate for small rooms. You need to measure to a resolution of at least 1/24th octave, or 1 Hz, whichever is smaller.

--Ethan
Old 28th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Hi!

Thanks for the Help! At the moment, my room is only treated with foam (5 cm and 10 cm) for the high's and the upper mids (and there's too much on the walls). What do you think i have to spend to get an acoustic environment in that you can work (it's only a homerecording studio, as you can see)? And what about foam? (You often hear that you can't treat below 400Hz with Foam [like Auralex Cornertraps etc] - is that true?) Or are there traps @ realtraps heh which can help?

I already recognized a better bass response when moving over the table (20 cm from the mix position in the direction of the front wall).... so at all i will move 33,3 cm forwards, i think.

Thanks

Volker
Old 29th May 2006
Gear Guru

Volker,

> Or are there traps @ realtraps heh which can help? <

Sure. Though you should move your listening position too.

--Ethan
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Guru

As Ethan pointed out about the 38% rule for sure you want to do that. Mostly you want to get rigid fiberglass bass traps in your room. Focus on all corners of the room. At the point you can follow up with panels on the first reflections of the room (don't forget about the ceiling). The foam you have may be ok for the High end so don't go and throw it away, but you really need to get some bass trapping in that room.

Glenn
Old 30th May 2006

try the demo of this software here (pc only)

http://www.etfacoustic.com/

narco

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search