The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
£4K to spend on upgrading..but what?
Old 28th May 2006
£4K to spend on upgrading..but what?

Hoping people will offer advice on my home studio set-up and what I should do to upgrade it...as I've £4K available and am feeling slutty..

Current system ; Mac Dual 2.5, 2gb memory, Logic 6.4.3, Lots of nice plugins & softsynths, motu 828 mk1, unitor 8, TL audio C1, Mackie 1402 vlz (for monitoring only!), Neuman TLM 103, Genelec 1029's, ...

I've been thinking about high end mic pre's (Neve, GML etc), and also nice soundcards/converters...(apogee Rosetta 200, ensemble etc)..I would quite like to work at a higher sample rate (to see what it's like!)..

I mostly write and record songs and compose/produce media music...and never use more than 2 channels of my motu, which I front-end with the C1...I mainly record vocals, acoustic guitars, bass guitars, electric guitars, 'cello, double bass, percussion..and go to a real studio to do drums and for posh mixing..

I'm a musician, so my aim is to track as best as I can and often let a talented engineer mix it in a commercial studio later on for big projects...for smaller projects I do it all at home..

Of course my aim is to get the best sounding music I possibly can...so gear advice in this direction much appreciated...

Thanks in advance..A440
Old 28th May 2006
Lives for gear

How is your room? I know upgrading and tuning your room isn't slutty, but it is worth the effort!
Old 28th May 2006
Hi Roger, thanks for replying.

Well my room is pretty nice sounding (amazingly!) and I've had compliments about it ...off course it's not brilliant as there's computer noise to contend with and a little outside noise too..I've been thinking about getting one of those SE semicircular baffles to help reject unwanted sounds, and of course there's always the old 'duvet on the wall' treatment.

In an ideal world, I'd set up in a properly designed studio space, with a vocal booth and separate control room area etc...but I'm afraid that's just too expensive for me at the moment ... I suppose I could get one of those foam kits to adjust the acoustics?
Old 28th May 2006
Lives for gear

If you want to go the foam way, you should get someone to look at it how to do it best. Auralex has a free service who does that for you at:

http://www.auralex.com/pcf/

If you want to calculate something yourself go here:

http://www.auralex.com/aoc/

On the other hand if you are very pleased with the sound. I'd suggest the following: Work a week in your studio on varoius projects and make a list of things in the studio which annoy or interfere you with your creative workflow. (like the lack of moving faders, computer noise, not enough midi ports, a bad instrument, noisy preamps etc.) Then deal with those things FIRST!! So, if a bad preamp is on top of the list, buy a good preamp, if you don't like your guitar, buy one you like, you get the picture!

Then if you have any money left: BE A SLUT and buy those shiny boxes!!

Good luck!

O, BTW, speaking of sample rates, imo working on a higher sample rate than 24bit/44.1khz is not something you should look forward to in this stage of your studio. work on the good input side first!
Old 28th May 2006
Thanks Roger..I'll do that (work a week and see what the weaknesses are). Will also check out the auralex sites. Interesting point you make about sample rates too.
Old 28th May 2006
Lives for gear

Anytime!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search