The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Eclipse or DSP 4500
Old 27th May 2006
Gear Nut

Eclipse or DSP 4500

I use the Eventide Eclipse almost every day, and am a HUGE fan of it. The time has come for me to get one for my project studio, but I've noticed that I can probably get a DSP4500 for about the same price as a new Eclipse. I've never used the 4500 and was wondering how it compares with the Eclipse and what your choice would be.

I'm mainly interested in comparisons as I'm sure they are both good machines.

Cheers
Nathan
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

Just a thought - could you get the 4500 and copy some of your favorite settings from the Eclipse into the 4500? I realize that they're different machines, but I don't know if they're similar enough to allow copying between them.

I have a DSP4000 and GTR 4000 (basically the same machine), both of which I love and use a quite a lot, but bought the Eclipse to see if it would be better, since it was newer. To me, it wasn't. Same Eventide sound, but not really "better" than the 4000 I already have. I returned the Eclipse.

So in a long sort of way, I guess I'm saying that the 4500 should hold it's own VERY well against the Eclipse you already like. (or do what I said in the 1st paragraph)
Old 28th May 2006
Gear Nut

Thanks for that, so would you say the 4500 is a more flexible/powerful machine than the Eclipse?
Old 28th May 2006
Lives for gear

he 4500 is more flexible for sure. the amount of editing and user control is a big difference between them. i do have an eclipse, and i find i to be basically like a nicer cleaner h3000 with limited editing. user control/editing will be the deciding factor, not so much sound quality.
Old 28th May 2006
Gear Head

Eventide Bundle?

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I was wondering how these outboard processors from Eventide stack up with the Anthology II bundle? How many algorythms are missing from the software versions of their hardware?
Old 28th May 2006
Gear Maniac

A lot of the Anthology plugs are clones of specific hardware pieces, e.g Instant Flanger, Instant Phaser, H910, Omnipressor, etc. The only Eventide plugin that really has a parallel in the Eclipse or whatever is the Band Delay. The H3000 Factory plug is like a ******** half-child of an H3000.

To give you a parallel, there are 18 possible algorithms in the H3000 Factory plug. There are over a hundred in the Eclipse. You can make your own algorithms in the H7000 and up, so those are effectively unlimited. To put this in perspective, the H3000 Factory is effectively a third of a real H3000. The Eclipse is effectively 5 H3000s. So it is thus, to use simple math, 15 times more powerful (whatever that means) than the plugin. But it is far more sophisticated, so that doesn't really make sense.

And while the other plugs in the Legacy II collection are quite good, they don't really hold a candle to the real thing. They are, obviously, much less trouble to own, as anyone that has had a real Omnipressor will tell you. Your mileage may vary.

I use the AES I/O of my Eclipse and have it as an External Device in Nuendo via my Lynx AES card. So it is, for me, a plugin. I love the 'verbs (which is mainly what I use it for) but it is incredibly useful in this stead. I would actually like to get at least one more.
Old 28th May 2006
Lives for gear

i wanna jump on this as well.

i'm looking to add an eventide to my arsenal, ONLY for the great harmonizer presets. Would i be better served with a used H3000 than with an eclipse? or should I go for a new 4500? (too many $)

Does the 3.0 software for the eclipse bring THE SAME harmonizer capabilities as the old and lovely H3000?
Old 28th May 2006
Lives for gear

I'm forever in love with my old H3000.
It is very likely one of the earliest box manufactured, I've owned it for 20 years !
Firmware is SE,v2.17.
Just last week had to bring it in for service..which alone speaks for the quality of the machine.
Cost me $ 200 to fix power supply issues, general cleanup and extra heat sinks installed.
This thing is a true workhorse, and if you can get it for a fair price...that's a no brainer
As far as that Anthology bundle goes..I haven't a clue, sorry
Not much of a plug-in fan here..
Old 28th May 2006
Gear Maniac

If you only want the old H3000 presets, the H3000 will get you there, but it is analog only. I'm strictly AES/EBU, so that wasn't an option. Comparing a kitted out 4500 to an Eclipse, I ended up choosing the Eclipse. The cost difference wasn't that great, and you get a new device with an upgrade path, a warranty, and nice modern features. I thought it was worth the money.

It is worth noting that the Eclipse isn't the easiest thing in the world to program. I tend to go through a box and find the presets I like, and just use them with minor touch ups appropriate to the track, so that doesn't really bother me. If you're the sort of person that really likes to program effects, the Eclipse might be a dissappointing unit. But the presets are great, and there are a lot of them, including all the best stuff from the H3000 and H4000/4500.
Old 30th July 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemix
Not much of a plug-in fan here..
Now, what's the likelihood of running into you, here, Mr Lemix, furthermore, doing research on the very piece of Hardware you recommended for a starting point, the Eventide Eclipse, on a somewhat related thread.

Got a question for you, simultaneous processing, can I use the Eclipse as a Send and Return to as any tracks as I like with different effects on each?

Is it the Eclipse capable of multiple routing (ITB) and multiple simultaneous effects? (...and I know you don't do ITB)

filosofem
Old 30th July 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem
Got a question for you, simultaneous processing, can I use the Eclipse as a Send and Return to as any tracks as I like with different effects on each?

Is it the Eclipse capable of multiple routing (ITB) and multiple simultaneous effects? (...and I know you don't do ITB)
You get two effects, two inputs, and two outputs. You can pretty much route within that combination as much as you want. (e.g. one block on left, one block on right, and they don't touch, two stereo blocks in series, parallel, crossfade, whatever.)

So, basically you have one stereo send effect with two possible simultaneous effects, or two mono send effects with one possible effect on each channel. Keep in mind that when I say "effect" I mean "algorithm" in Eventide parlance. An algorithm can be all kinds of stuff, of course. Whatever Eventide managed to shoehorn in the available DSP space.
Old 30th July 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crandall1
You get two effects, two inputs, and two outputs. You can pretty much route within that combination as much as you want.
Hi Chris

Thanks for the reply.

Would using Digital I/O's (S/PDIF) change this or is the Eclipse still bound by those parameters you just mentioned?

filosofem
Old 30th July 2006
Gear Maniac

The I/O you use has nothing to do with the DSP the device contains. There are two blocks, and each one can hold one stereo algorithm. There are two possible inputs to these blocks, and two possible outputs. That's that. You can select which stereo input goes to the blocks (SPDIF, AES, analog) but you can only use one at a time. All the outputs are live all the time, but they all output the same audio, which is whatever is coming out of the DSP blocks.

The Eclipse is an excellent value for two grand, but remember that it is two grand, and thus pretty low on the totem pole as far as high end digital multi-FX boxes go. It is in the same class as the PCM81, and mops the floor with a TC M3000, but it isn't some amazing do-everything box. Just because it says "Eventide" on the front doesn't mean you're automagically gonna get manna from heaven. For that, you need the H8000.
Old 30th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crandall1
It is in the same class as the PCM81, and mops the floor with a TC M3000
You mean the TC Fireworx, no?
Old 31st July 2006
Gear Head

Chris Randall

Hey, thanks for the replies, Chris, much appreciated. Crystal clean.

filosofem
Old 31st July 2006
Lives for gear

Hello

I may chime in saying that the reason I chose the Eclipse over other FX boxes is that its digital I/O facility is the most complete: working in a strictly digital domain untill summing, I hook up my outboard boxes using ADAT, AES or SPdif, the Eclipse had evertything I could ask. I know the 4500 was a bit higher on the food chain (when it was a new box), but the Eclipse is a more modern version of the H3000, has some of the DSP4500 presets and is as versatile as you want; if you plan to work in the digital domain a lot without using A/D and D/A conversion seriosly take the Eclipse into account; otherwiese it's DSP 7500 or H8000 heh heh .

Hope this helps

L.G.
Old 23rd August 2009
TRW
Lives for gear

Bump anymore opinons on the DSP4500, looking at one currently.

With the new Eclipse v4 software and all the Factor pedal sounds added, the Eclipse looks like a great deal. But there is something inside telling me the 4500 would be a better machine?

I'm after the micropitch shift, the delays and some of the vintage emulations on there. I really want a 7600 but can't afford one. Sonically that blew me away. Which is 'closer' the eclipse or the 4500?

What is the maintenance like on the 4500?

Cheers
Tom
Old 4th February 2010
TRW
Lives for gear

Bizzump!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search