The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New album from Toto Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

New album from Toto

I can't really explain how I missed the release of Toto's latest album, but if there are someone else here "like me", don't miss Toto's latest album "Falling in Between". It has got 5 stars at Amazon and when I listened to the samples it seems awesome...! Toto is currently on a World Tour with this album... Don't miss it...!
Old 27th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Steve Lukather is god and Porcaro was god in his day...whos playing drums on this ?
Old 28th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin4Life
Steve Lukather is god and Porcaro was god in his day...whos playing drums on this ?
Simon Phillips is there drummer since Jeff Porcaro died.
Old 28th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbone

thought so..went to a clinic once...totally crazy..
Old 28th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowStorm
I can't really explain how I missed the release of Toto's latest album, but if there are someone else here "like me", don't miss Toto's latest album "Falling in Between". It has got 5 stars at Amazon and when I listened to the samples it seems awesome...! Toto is currently on a World Tour with this album... Don't miss it...!
I think it's one of their cooler records, however, I don't understand how the band was comfortable to approve the mixes/masters. The impact of the first song is completely killed by the over the top compression/limiting. In general the live is sucked out due to too much limiting, no punch whatsoever. Really a missed opportunity.

Also, it's a very digital sounding album. I really miss the Elliot Scheiner engineering and mixing. Tambu wasn't their best album IMO, but sonically it's a masterpiece.
This one sounds like a good demo...

I still enjoy it though, some cool Toto moments on there.

Greetings,
Dirk
Old 28th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkB
I think it's one of their cooler records, however, I don't understand how the band was comfortable to approve the mixes/masters. The impact of the first song is completely killed by the over the top compression/limiting. In general the live is sucked out due to too much limiting, no punch whatsoever. Really a missed opportunity.

Also, it's a very digital sounding album. I really miss the Elliot Scheiner engineering and mixing. Tambu wasn't their best album IMO, but sonically it's a masterpiece.

Greetings,
Dirk
With ALL respect.......TOTO don't realy care now about the compressor or the limiter
they do what a great band should do, write cool and fun music......
the fan don't care about that stuff, they care about the writing.not about
a mix...anyway they all listen to music with a MP3 player, so for sound quality......
that's my opinion........
Old 28th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
With ALL respect.......TOTO don't realy care now about the compressor or the limiter
a mix...anyway they all listen to music with a MP3 player, so for sound quality......
Bigbone-

It may be true that production quality is less important than loudness these days, but it's still surprising that Toto has taken on that attitude (if indeed they have). Toto is known by their musical fans for having incredible music AND incredible production value.

On the other hand, they get made fun of more than any other band I know of, so maybe they are changing their approach for more commercial appeal (now that they're all their 50s).

Their best would be to change their name.

Andre
Old 28th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:

Greetings,
Dirk
It's difficult to blame somebody when you mix it on your own in ProTools.

I definatly agree with you on the sound.

wolfgang
Old 28th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Don't miss Simon Phillips on Judas Priest's "Sin After Sin".

Yeah, amazingly good drummer.
Old 28th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:

Dirk
I agree 100%, and if you do a serach you will see I said the same thing about it the first week it came out.
Old 28th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:

This is not entirley true as Simon Phillips himself engineered the recording at his place.
Old 28th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I agree.
Quote:
Ouch, that's a bit harsh if you ask me. Makes me wanna hear your non-demo stuff on the other hand
Old 28th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
Ouch, that's a bit harsh if you ask me. Makes me wanna hear your non-demo stuff on the other hand
Well, I guess I can at leat produce a good demo heh .

Toto has been at the frontier of great records sonically. This one IMHO is on the other end of the spectrum.
With a band of this calibre, it should have been easy to get it sounding better.

But to each his own. I like the record anyway.

Greetings,
Dirk

P.S. If you are interested in some of my recent work, PM me and I will send you a couple of links.
Old 28th May 2006
Lives for gear

PS, I went to a TOTO gig just last week, It was awesome, the best gig Ive ever been to, or ever likely to go to.

they were humble, funny and genuinely appreciative of the huge audience reaction.

Steve Lukather "we thought you guys hated us" referring to the lack of support of Toto in Australia, no f u ck ing way!

TOTO still rock!!
Attached Thumbnails
New album from Toto-toto3.jpg  
Old 28th May 2006
Lives for gear

Mick Porcaro is the coolest guy on earth!!!
Attached Thumbnails
New album from Toto-toto2.jpg  
Old 28th May 2006
Lives for gear

TOTO, melbourne 2006
Attached Thumbnails
New album from Toto-toto1.jpg  
Old 28th May 2006
Lives for gear

Toto was and still is one of my favourite bands. Those guys can play and sing and have some cool songs. They rock big time live.

I mixed an album last year where Steve Lukather played some guitar on and it was surreal to have him on a couple of faders.
Very underrated player IMHO.

Simon Phillips had the task to replace one of the legends and I think he did a great job (although I prefer Porcaro).

Greetings,
Dirk
Old 28th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I mixed an album last year where Steve Lukather played some guitar on and it was surreal to have him on a couple of faders.
Very underrated player IMHO.

Dirk
I dont underrate him, that would have been awesome.
Old 28th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Steve Lukather - Star Licks Video

Thats the best guitar video out, if you can find it...from 85 or 86? I heard it and my playing has changed ever since..literally, the whole movie changed my playing style...be afraid, be very afraid.

Luke has an awesome guitar ability and people slam him for using effects too much. But I don't care, it sounds amazing. Especially on the older 80s albums, IMO.
Old 28th May 2006
Lives for gear

Agreed.

Tone and groove like noone. I don't care about the FX. He has some drier records out to.

Greetings,
Dirk
Old 28th May 2006
Gear Maniac

I'm listening to the new CD now...the first track reminds me of Kashmir then it goes into typical Luke at like 2:20, then to the signature Toto key progressions
Old 28th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Listening now too, seems like they went a little overboard with the Subkick, or is it me? Well, that's what you get when you let the drummer mix I guess
Old 28th May 2006
Gear Guru

FAHRENHEIT (1986) is my favorite Toto record. thumbsup

Steve Lukather - Guitars, Vocals
David Paich - Keyboards, Vocals
Jeff Porcaro - Drums, Percussion
Mike Porcaro - Bass
Steve Porcaro - Keyboard
Joseph Williams - Vocals

Mixed by: Greg Ladanyi except "Don't stop me now", mixed by Tom Knox.

Mastered by: Bob Ludwig at Masterdisk, New York

Strings Engineered by: John Kurlander at Abbey Road Studios, London, England

Additional Musicans: Paulette Brown, Tony Walthes, Mike Sherwood, Fergie Frederiksen - Vocals

Lenny Castro, Paulinho de Costa, JimKeltner, Steve Jordan, Joe Porcaro - Percussion

Jerry Hey, Tom Scott, larry Williams, Chuck Findley, Charlie Loper, Bill Reichenbach - Horns

Don Henley, Mike McDonald, David Sanborn, Miles Davis
Old 29th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Listening now too, seems like they went a little overboard with the Subkick, or is it me? Well, that's what you get when you let the drummer mix I guess
Simon Phillips did not mix the record.

Greetings,
Dirk
Old 29th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Always love the stuff they did for the Dune soundtrack. Say what you will about the movie. The sound was totally unique. Lots of CS 80 synth. Like Vangelis with a killer rhythm section. Came out in 84' so they must have had a lot of confidence then.
Old 29th May 2006
Gear Addict

i always liked "kingdome of desire"and luke's selftitle record. amazing playing and both records sound fanatastic in their own way.
Old 29th May 2006
Here for the gear

i'm a huge toto fan, I love them but ...

IMHO his latest work is among their worst stuff ("songwritingly" talking) ... not to mention the mastering, there's a track with digital clipping ... i know the guy have not enough money to pay sir Elliot Scheiner and also have to selfproduced it but you can easily hear the results of these choices on the record ...
Old 29th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin4Life
Steve Lukather - Star Licks Video

Thats the best guitar video out, if you can find it...from 85 or 86? I heard it and my playing has changed ever since..literally, the whole movie changed my playing style...be afraid, be very afraid.

Luke has an awesome guitar ability and people slam him for using effects too much. But I don't care, it sounds amazing. Especially on the older 80s albums, IMO.
I once had that video....I am still searching through my old vhs'!!!

Is it still in print?

I could live without all the effects... I like to think of him with that outro to "Rosanna" sound!
Old 29th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I work with a someone that is a big Toto fan and a drummer. He lent me his disk of the new album and I agree with many of the comments so far on the sonic quality. It lacks depth and sounds almost stereotypically digital. Almost reminiscent of the sound on the last Rush album. Very cold and harsh sounding to my ears AND for me that is saying something as I don't typically mind some of the 'crispness' typically associated with digital.

I also noticed Simon's kick sound as well. Simon is one of my favourite drummers on the planet but he is extremely particular about his drum sounds. With his kick he uses very little padding and doesen't allow mics to get near the beater. As result on this latest album the kick sound is just wrong for the application - too much 'woof' not enuf slap or punch.

As for the songs, I just find most of them to be 'cheesy' but there are a couple that I find listenable. I don't mind the opening tune and a couple of the slower ones as well. I like the jazz one as well, I think it's the last song.

Quote:
Simon Phillips did not mix the record.
I know he mixed their last live DVD. He did not mix this most recent one but he did engineer it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search