The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Patchbay Splitting => Quality loss?
Old 27th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Patchbay Splitting => Quality loss?

Hi!

Will splitting signals using a patchbay decrease the signal's quality due to the impedance change?

Volker
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

on a mic signal the loading will change the sound of the mic, on a line level signal it should be fine. chanck the rated loadings of your gear if you are un sure.
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

Generally and almost always... no.

As long as the device feeding the next two devices in the chain sees a net impedence that is high (most devices these days have high impedence inputs of around 10K) everything is fine.

This is why patchbays have MULTS which are nothing but "Y" cables or a parallel.
Did spell that correctly?

However, you can't go the other way (two devices feeding one device.)
This is why mixers have summing busses.

Danny Brown
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

Aussietech is correct about the mic situation... best not to do that.

I used to do remote broadcasts of major label rock acts where I'd mix the show live to a network feed.
For several shows where the budget was rediculously small I used a rig I assembled from my studio's gear and a rented Soundcraft 800 console.
I DIDN'T OWN A TRANSFORMER SPLIT SNAKE... I did have a 16 channel NON-TRANSFORMER split snake.
It was interfaced with some substantial live rigs, but no-one ever complained!

It was live rock bands... in a club... it rocked.

Sometimes you have to make what you have work!

Come to think of it... one band was Soundgarden.

Danny Brown
Old 25th June 2006
Gear Maniac

(Line signal): So just a 1-to-2 split would be *unhearable*? Or should i buy a splitter (but i think the splitter would bring more quality loss) ?

Volker
Old 26th June 2006
Lives for gear

on a line level signal there is no need for a splitter unless you need to isolate one piece of gear and introducing anything extra into the signal path is going to degrade the signal in some way
Old 26th June 2006
Gear Maniac

i want to split the master output of the mixing console to RECORDER and MONITOR.

Volker
Old 26th June 2006
Lives for gear

use a Y-Split or a half normeled patch bay
Old 26th June 2006
Gear Addict

I do what you're describing all the time with my patchbay. It works fine with no signal loss.
Old 26th June 2006
Gear Maniac

perfect
Old 27th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fross
I do what you're describing all the time with my patchbay. It works fine with no signal loss.
I'm sure you meant that there is no degradation in the "quality" of the signal.

Anytime you split a signal, through a passive splitter, half-normalized patch bay or any other passive device, you are going to have a 6dB drop in signal. I'm sure whatever you are sending the signal to has make-up gain to compensate.

Please excuse my anal retentiveness, but didn't want to mislead the guy asking the question.

Laser
Old 27th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser
I'm sure you meant that there is no degradation in the "quality" of the signal.

Anytime you split a signal, through a passive splitter, half-normalized patch bay or any other passive device, you are going to have a 6dB drop in signal. I'm sure whatever you are sending the signal to has make-up gain to compensate.

Please excuse my anal retentiveness, but didn't want to mislead the guy asking the question.

Laser
3db actually

always keep both sides balanced
Old 27th June 2006
Gear Maniac

hi!

i thought the input impedances of the devices were so high that there wouldnt be a level drop ???

Volker
Old 15th June 2009
Lives for gear

Although I do it all the time, and everything sounds fine, whenever I mult a signal via the patchbay I feel as if I'm committing an impedance sin of some kind.

There's really NO issue whatsoever (besides level drop) in multing a line level signal (via a half normal) in the patchbay?
Old 3rd March 2013
Does anybody know if the same idea would work for splitting Line-Ins?

The situations is I want to split 2 XLRs, and 3 TSs. I haven't been able to find a splitter that does DIs on it as well, only 1 XLR to 2 XLR. Is the reason why that doesn't exist that you can just use a simple patch bay to do a Y-out?

So would a simpler solution be to do the 2 XLRs with an ART S8 or similar splitter box, and then to use a separate patchbay to split the 3 TS ins to 6 TS outs?

I am doing a FOH/Monitor split and want to be able to mix the monitor from the stage.

Thanks

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search