The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
large PVC??
Old 27th May 2006
large PVC??

I am thinking about large guage 16-18", 1/2" wall, hard PVC tubes, from 3-4 feet in height, cut, filled with stone or shot, to act as speaker stands and mixing table stands. I have seen some mix table with large tubes as legs, and I liked the look and idea.

Anyone seen anything like this? Any acousitc problems with the shape? It seems like the material could be had fairly cheap, even surpluss, such as old sewage or watermain pipe. Sche3dule 80 pipe can also be threaded and has flange fittings for top and bottom, which would make nice attachment to table tops, speaker stand tops, and footings.

Been Googling a while, see all kinds of things, just hard to interpret all the data.

Anyone have experience with this kind of item?

I would be mounting a custom made mix table for our Midas 320, on top of two of the tubes, with slide out 88 key controller, slide out computer kbd & mouse stand, and 19" slots for patchbays and some outboard.

The other two tubes would be for mid-field monitor stands.

Thanks, KT
Old 27th May 2006
Gear Addict

I built these speaker stands for my 1031s. They are 12" drain pipe with Column tops and filled with mineral wool. You difenately want to fill them as they will resonate. I also have the feet and the 1031s de-coupled with neoprene.
Attached Thumbnails
large PVC??-frombehindtheglass.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search