The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Classic multitracks are a good learning tool Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 22nd April 2012
Gear Addict

Classic multitracks are a good learning tool

I find when listening to multitracks of classic songs you've heard millions of times, it can be a great learning experience.

Often you're in for a surprise with the sounds that are actually on the record. I find a lot of recordings, especially 80's recordings, where I thought sounds were layered only feature one sound, and when listening to it in solo, sounds rather normal. It seems in most cases to go back to the old K.I.S.S. analogy.

It also allows one to hear the effects used on classic recordings. Many vocals are drenched in reverb and delay and are really compressed. In fact most pop multitracks I've heard every instrument is compressed pretty hard.

Most guitars sound like crap in the mix. Ive spent many many dollars on high priced amps in the past chasing that elusive "perfect tone" but a lot of tracks have a guitar sound one could obtain with the cheapest of equipment.

Its amazing how in the mix something can sound so big but once solo'd it sounds normal.

Just wanted to share some findings with you all and get some opinions on whether having access to classic multi's has helped your perspective at all?
Old 22nd April 2012
Lives for gear
I think it helps you understand how soloed tracks should sound. Most eye opening for me is, like you said, the amount of reverb/delay/compression, but also the tracking imperfections like missed notes, stray sounds, and bleed from other instruments. It also helps you understand mix perspective- often you'll hear people talk about "sounds bad soloed, good in the mix" and I always took that to the extreme. Nothing sounds bad soloed to me in most of these mixes- just not as big. So you need to start with quality individual mixed tracks to get a good stereo mix.
Old 22nd April 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasnub View Post
I think it helps you understand how soloed tracks should sound. Most eye opening for me is, like you said, the amount of reverb/delay/compression, but also the tracking imperfections like missed notes, stray sounds, and bleed from other instruments. It also helps you understand mix perspective- often you'll hear people talk about "sounds bad soloed, good in the mix" and I always took that to the extreme. Nothing sounds bad soloed to me in most of these mixes- just not as big. So you need to start with quality individual mixed tracks to get a good stereo mix.
Good point. A lot of headphone bleed on most vocal tracks I've heard. I've always tried to almost obsessively edit this sort of thing out on my own recordings.
Old 22nd April 2012
Lives for gear

I think the 'sounds bad solo'd' thing isn't about having bad sounding tracks, it's about the eq, etc that you do to carve something into the mix. A kick that sounds full and round in it's raw form might not fit into a full rock mix, so you might cut away a ton of mid and low mid to make room for other stuff. When you solo it, it will sound weird, thin, not like a real kick. Bt in the mix, your brain fills in that missing info, and the other instruments mask the fact that some of it is missing.

Raw multitracks should sound good, normal, and have a good representation of the instrument. Of course, there are producers and engineers who know what sound they're after right at the start, and will print it that way.

What source do you have for multitracks? I've seen a few, but I don't use any filesharing services, etc.
Old 22nd April 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Suitcase View Post
I think the 'sounds bad solo'd' thing isn't about having bad sounding tracks, it's about the eq, etc that you do to carve something into the mix. A kick that sounds full and round in it's raw form might not fit into a full rock mix, so you might cut away a ton of mid and low mid to make room for other stuff. When you solo it, it will sound weird, thin, not like a real kick. Bt in the mix, your brain fills in that missing info, and the other instruments mask the fact that some of it is missing.

Raw multitracks should sound good, normal, and have a good representation of the instrument. Of course, there are producers and engineers who know what sound they're after right at the start, and will print it that way.

What source do you have for multitracks? I've seen a few, but I don't use any filesharing services, etc.
I actually am mostly listening to stems, not the actual multi tracks. These are more interesting to me because they actually have the effects on them that are on the finished record. You can hear how they did it.

Although I've heard a few which are the actual raw multi's. Theres some Def Leppard stuff floating around. Google is your friend. I have what I believe are raw multi's of Rock of Ages and Bringin' On The Heartbreak. You can clearly hear the dry Fairlight kick and snare on "ROA", which sounds so bad on its own. But i can see after adding some reverb and maybe some Harmonizer that Mutt ended up with the sound he did on the album. Bringin' on the heartbreak is real drums and they are dry. They sound like drums I'd record at my home studio here, levels all over the place, nothing fancy etc.

Another important aspect not to be overlooked - tape. God I love the sound of tape. It gives recordings that sort of sheen or that glow that seperates the performer from the audience. Digital is really in your face.
Old 22nd April 2012
Gear Addict

There's also some stems from "Rock Band 3" of Def Leppard's Foolin' from Pyromania. The bass on that cut is in fact real and played through an amp by Sav. You can hear his fingers on the strings when he's not playing. I always thought all the bass was sequenced on that album. Wow.
Old 23rd April 2012
Lives for gear

They're a great resource and have helped me alot. It's also great to hear all the odds and ends that have been left in on records.
Old 23rd April 2012
Gear Guru

I am constantly seeking out multitracks of classic songs, telling myself it is for Mixing exercise.

But as far as what I have learned from them, I have learned a lot about tracking.

to me anyway, with so many of these classic tunes, you pull up the faders and there is the song.

I find the skill and the willingness to commit impressive.

I don't think the soloed instruments sound ****ty at all. They sound 'ready to mix'.
Old 23rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Be aware that a lot of the multitracks floating around out there have the EQ and comp printed, and sometimes even level matched so you throw the faders to zero and get the mix. Probably because they were sync tracks. So not necessarily representative of how the instruments were tracked, but mixed.

Still, I agree that it's interesting how imperfect some of the performances are, and the sometimes curious sonic shaping of the tracks.

Never knew there is something like eight clav tracks layered on Stevie Wonder's Superstition until I heard the mults. Sort of explains why so many live covers fall a bit flat.
Old 23rd April 2012
Gear Addict

Who in the world told David Coverdale that it'd be a great idea to use a DX7 preset bass on "Here I Go Again" instead of a real one? I couldnt believe that was from the real track when I solo'd it. Put it back in the mix, and theres the track we know and love.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search