The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Soundcraft 1600 outboard rack
Old 22nd April 2012
Lives for gear

Soundcraft 1600 outboard rack

I recently bought a Soundcraft 1600 and it came with what looks like an outboard wooden enclosure that screws to its left side. I do not know if this is original, or if it was an add-on, but it looks original (same wood as the other side and trims)

It's missing the vertical support to hold it safely in place, so I'm going to build one, but I have a question if anyone knows:

The standard 19" gear only fits vertically, not horizontally as I've always seen in studio photos of similar racks (see pic attached)

Is this normal? Perhaps back in 1984 it was common to set up outboard gear vertically, instead of horizontally - perhaps to make it easier for a mixer operator to simply turn his / her head to the left and see the controls in line of sight with their head?

(note: standard 19" devices fit perfectly vertically - like the Monster powerstrip in the pic I included) but it's too large for them to fit horizontally)

Or maybe I need to build some other kind of support to make them fit horizontally?

Thanks for any insight on this!
Attached Thumbnails
Soundcraft 1600 outboard rack-soundcraft-1600-outboard-end.jpg  
Old 22nd April 2012
maybe meant to patch bay?
Old 22nd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by babooino View Post
maybe meant to patch bay?
I don't think so, because this mixer has a built-in patchbay on the right side...

The wooden enclosure looks like it's for outboard gear
Old 22nd April 2012
Lives for gear

Maybe it was for an old computer monitor and a keyboard in front?? You could run the monitor cables down at the side.
Old 22nd April 2012
Lives for gear

Looks like a table top tape machine enclosure to me, fairly common set-up in the mid-80's, especially in radio production studios.

I actually use a vertical 19" rack for my patch bays as suggested above, but I'd expect to see rack rails if it was meant for rack gear.
Old 22nd April 2012
Lives for gear

Definitely not stock, 1600s didn't come with any such thing.
Old 23rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Thank you all very much for your insights - I think I figured it out, it is indeed to host 10 racks of standard 19" rack equipment, in the usual horizontal fashion

It's just missing the metal rack rails. I measured everything and metal rails add a total of one inch (1/2 inch on each side), and once mounted they should the equipment just fine.

I will buy two 10-space rack rails tomorrow and if it works I'll post pics with the outboard gear in it

Thank you!
Old 26th April 2012
Here for the gear

Nice board! I briefly owned one around 2001. It needed more work than I wanted to put in. The preamps and direct outs were fine. Most of the rest seemed shot. Was a fantastic visual centerpiece. Enjoy!
Old 20th May 2012
Lives for gear

Hey guys, I finally got around to building the support furniture, bought 10-space rack rails, and finally I think that's how the side cabinet was supposed to be mounted... I'm still not sure if it came as an add-on from the factory (the top cabinet is really of high-quality and matches the mixer's wooden ends) but I suspect it was probably done by the original owners (a studio in Buffalo).

At any rate, I'm so happy of the result, my little home studio looks good with this console, now!
Attached Thumbnails
Soundcraft 1600 outboard rack-soundcraft-1600-side-rack-1.jpg   Soundcraft 1600 outboard rack-soundcraft-1600-side-rack-2.jpg  
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search