The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
word clock or super clock - what's the difference? Synchronisers/Clock Generators
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

word clock or super clock - what's the difference?

I have a lucid genex6 which generates both word and super clock. I'm planning on upgrading my converters and using this master clock. If I have a choice to use either, would super clock sound better than word clock? Or are they just different formats? Never heard that one is better than the other, but I figure I'd ask here to find out....you guys have the answers to solve all my problems...heh
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

word clock is word clock. Super clock is a Digi invention that only works with multiple Digi-sync'd stuff ....that's according to my Digital Timepiece manual that also has super clock.

As far as the particulars of what happens with super clock and Digi stuff...I have no clue as my policy has always been to never buy anything with the Synclavier, Fairlight, or Digi name on it.
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

Superclock is Digi's proprietary clock protocol, as Unknown Soldier relates, and it operates at a multiple of word clock frequency. If memory serves, sc frequency is 128 time wc frequency. AFAIK, this was driven by the sork of prevalent psychology that would suggest that higher rates yield higher audible resolution.

What I do know is that sc signals are highly susceptible to degradation at long clock cable lengths; 12 inches is recommeded, I believe, while word clock cables can be quite long.

As I understand it, HD saw the end of the sc protocol.

John-
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

OK.....some current converters - the Mytek AD stereo 96 allow for superclock. I'm gathering it really shouldn't be a consideration when I get new converters, as far as any effect on the sound. Just a different protocol. If anyone has A/B'd WC/SC and found a difference, let me know....as if we didn't have enough things already to "A/B"..
Old 27th May 2006
Deleted User
Superclock was the clocking used on Pro Tools Mix systems (RIP). The only 2 available sample rates on a Mix system was 44.1 and 48 kHz. Superclock was introduced as a "superior" (smiling) clock to the standard clock in a digital system, which is the sampling rate. The Superclock was 256 times the sample rate. Rather quick if you ask me. Some devices supported this for integration with PT systems, including the MOTU Midi Time Piece.

With the introduction of Pro Tools HD, Superclock went the way of the buffalo and Loop Sync was born as the superior clock source that is a part of all PTHD systems.

Did it have errors? Sure. Keep your cables short and it was fine. Word clock (sample rate) will do fine.

I hope this helps!
Old 22nd May 2014
Here for the gear

API A2D with Digi 96 TDM PT HD10

I'm piecing together a system around my bla modded digi 96 HD interface. Since it has an upgraded clock, I want to use the 96 as the clocking master. Will the A2D be able to listen for regular Word Clock or will I have to buy the normal word clock upgrade card?

AA
Old 4th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicAdam View Post
I'm piecing together a system around my bla modded digi 96 HD interface. Since it has an upgraded clock, I want to use the 96 as the clocking master. Will the A2D be able to listen for regular Word Clock or will I have to buy the normal word clock upgrade card?

AA
The new A2D's have regular word clock as a standard. Some of the older ones do not so be sure to check if buying used.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search