The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
SM7 vs. SM7B
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

SM7 vs. SM7B

whats the difference between these two mics? just curious...
Old 25th May 2006
Gear Addict

Do a search - It's been covered before.

The B is just a newer model. Doesn't need as much gain, so you get less noise. Some people swear by the originals (as per usual), but the general concensus is go for the B.

They're real cheap in the States at the moment - bit of a price war I guess. $350.

Absolute bargain - Great mic to have!!!
Old 13th June 2006
Gear Addict

so...

any further thoughts on this? Don't know whether to get a new SM7b or a second hand SM7... And i've done a bunch of searches, but would like to hear some current thoughts if anyone cares to share!
Old 20th June 2006
Lives for gear

Me too.....anyone??
Old 17th June 2008
Gear Maniac

From Sure site

SM7A - improved humbucking coil added; improved design of the mic mounting yoke.
SM7B - larger windscreen added

found this at:

http://shure.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/sh...i=&p_topview=1
Old 18th June 2008
Lives for gear

Some say there is no sound difference. Some say the older one is better and smoother. Haven't heard anyone say the B sounds better, just the same. The only thing people agree on is that the B needs less gain. Supposedly no one I reasearched heard a difference with the whole computer screen rejection and what-not with the humbucking coils meaning more isolation... so, either works. I just picked a SM7 on ebay I found for $225. It's coming.
Old 18th June 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
any further thoughts on this? Don't know whether to get a new SM7b or a second hand SM7... And i've done a bunch of searches, but would like to hear some current thoughts if anyone cares to share!
Wow!

Well not long after this I bought an SM7b and I love it! Can't believe I was being so pedantic about something i'd never notice! Oh well, good to do your research....

It's now my standard mic for all my recording. Sweet.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search