The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The Tampa vrs Aphex 207D ...????
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

The Tampa vrs Aphex 207D ...????

Okay, I'm thinking about upgrading my pre-amp section in the next month or so. I'm currently using a Aphex 107 Tubessence. This is for micing male and female vocals and acoustic guitar (Martin D-18 and a Taylor 12 string), using a MXL V69 ME mic.

I'm on a limited budget so I'm looking at spending around $300-$350 max. I can find either the Tampa or Aphex 207D used on Ebay in this price range.

The 207D would give me two channels, the Tampa only one, but may be of better quality.

The 207D has a built in limiter, the Tampa a compressor.

I've read mixed reviews on both units, but I think either would be a step up for me, and within my budget.

I'm leaning towards the 207D as it also has an effects send/return, which would be useful.

Any idea which one would have the better A/D converter, sound, reliability ??

I've had very good luck with my Aphex 107 and M-Audio 1010LT and 2496 cards, so I like both companies, but the 107 is a bit dated. The 207D would work well in my system configuration, but would the Tampa be a better choice ??
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

i have a 207D. i really like it. i use it with a oktava mk-319. i think its a real nice combo for my voice.

i think it comes down to what you need.

personally, i would go for the 207D with a RNP. i like to keep my stuff separate. so i could always upgrade the comp and still have the mic pres. or upgrade the pres and still have the comp.

by the way, the Aphex stuff is assembled in the USA. go figure, theres actually low end stuff still made here.
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks, that's nice to know their stuff is made here. I know I'm from a different world than the people on this forum, as in my circle of friends, any pre-amp is considered high end pro gear. I know it's not audiophile high end, but still I consider Aphex stuff good quality. Most of my "clients/friends" are blown away by the sound of my setup, even though it's mediorce compared to everything that gets mentioned on this forum. They don't understand why I want to upgrade the 107. They're quite pleased with that.

I have the Aphex Tubessence 107 and the Aural Exciter with Big Bottom, and I use that for my dj rig, and it does a great job.

The 207 or 207D would indeed work well in my configuration. Glad to know other people like it.

Thanks for the feedback !!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search