The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Front Mesh removal from a Marshall and Mesa cab
Old 25th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Front Mesh removal from a Marshall and Mesa cab

I jsut bought a Mesa recto 4x12 cab and a Marshall 4x12, Ive been seeing alot that many people remove the front grill from the amps to get a clearer sound. Yesterday I tried to remove them but notice that they are either glued or staples using a white line that runs al along the grill's diameter. Its a bit tought to remove. Do I have to remove the back panel to remove them ? Or do I just yank them out, Im afraid of tearing the mesh or removing something that doesnt need to be remove. Thanks alot in advanced.

JP
Old 25th May 2006
Gear Maniac

anyone ?
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

I'd just cut it away. Putting it back is kind of an upholstery job.

You can get all the old grille cloth stock from CE Distribution. I think they're a wholesaler only, but you can probably get your local amp guy to order from them.

They have the piping around the edge that you'll need too.

I don't know if the stuff they have is NOS or not, but it sure looks authentic.
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Hey bro. Open the cabinet from the back. You should see that the front grill is attached to a framwork of sorts that can be unscrewed from the back and then the whole thing will come out.

I used to do that with all my recording cabinets too... until I got this Bogner cabinet I am using now. It sounds so amazing with the grill on it that I just haven't even messed with it yet...
Old 25th May 2006

The reason to remove the mesh is to get the mic in closer. It won't change the sound, just keeps you from getting really close to the cone with a mic.

-tINY

Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY

The reason to remove the mesh is to get the mic in closer. It won't change the sound, just keeps you from getting really close to the cone with a mic.

-tINY

That's why I always just make two cuts; enough to fold a flap back over.
Old 25th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticglobe
Hey bro. Open the cabinet from the back. You should see that the front grill is attached to a framwork of sorts that can be unscrewed from the back and then the whole thing will come out.

I used to do that with all my recording cabinets too... until I got this Bogner cabinet I am using now. It sounds so amazing with the grill on it that I just haven't even messed with it yet...
Ahhh thanks alot you guys!!
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

It seems to me that if you have to cosmetically alter the appearance of a good looking cabinet, there's not much point buying a good looking cabinet.

Lets face it - cabs are for looks as much as anything.

I have some nice Mesa cabs that i'm not gonna slash with a knife. What I think i'll do from now on is simply buy speaker drivers, and make my own rudimentary cabs out of marine plywood panels and 2x4's.
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiburger
It seems to me that if you have to cosmetically alter the appearance of a good looking cabinet, there's not much point buying a good looking cabinet.

Lets face it - cabs are for looks as much as anything.

I have some nice Mesa cabs that i'm not gonna slash with a knife. What I think i'll do from now on is simply buy speaker drivers, and make my own rudimentary cabs out of marine plywood panels and 2x4's.

I was under the assumption that a little more went into making a speaker cabinet than throwing together some marine plywood. I personally don't buy my equipment based on looks, it's based on performance no matter how ugly it is. And no cabs aren't just for looks more than anything. I record small 2x12 cabs and single 12 combos and 4x12 cabs always seem to have way more balls.
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

Guitar cabs are a commodity - make to a price (i.e. compromises are made). The money goes into marketing and advertising, and screwing suppliers for lower cost materials. A brand name is simply a badge that can be exploited for more profit, because suckers like to see the right badge on the front.

It annoys me to see inferior MDF wood being used in cabinets, and stock cabinets never have the classic speakers fitted to them. The reason I have Mesa cabinets is because they seem to be better made than some of the bigger brand names.

There are basic physics principles why certain cabinets sound better, or different, from others. A 4x12 cabinet has more bass because it's physically larger, and effectively an infinite baffle. My Mesa 1 x 12" Theile cab can blow away most 4 x 12" cabinets for low end bass.

There is absolutely no reason why homemade plywood cabinets wouldn't outperform commercial stuff. Without the cosmetic/brandname bling factor, what's the difference? I could make them a lot heavier, and totally rattle free. I could fill them with a lot more foam, if necessary.

I would put the slutty money into quality drivers - Alnico Blues etc

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search