The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mix My Tracks! (PART 2 - Full song) Condenser Microphones
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Addict

Mix My Tracks! (PART 2 - Full song)

Hi everybody,

I've had many requests for a full song in the following thread:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/70315-mix-my-tracks-just-fun.html

So here it is, a little song I recorded today.

But here's the deal:
By downloading these tracks, you agree that ALL rights concerning the music, composition, recordings, lyrics, melodies, and everything else I could forget about in this song is to be credited to me: Simon Vézina. By downloading these tracks, you have the right to mix them for fun, and post the results in this thread, but that's it. No other personal or commercial use without my consent, etc, etc. You get the idea. (I don't want to sound like a pussy, but you never know)

Info about the song:
Title: On ne fait que passer
All credits: Simon Vezina

Now that that's out of the way,
The tracks are here: http://www.simvez.com/tracks2.rar (I used rar because the compression is about twice better than zip!)

EDIT: Here are addon tracks I just did: http://www.simvez.com/tracks2-addon.rar
(its a lead acoustic guitar track + an acoustic guitar track that is meant to be pitch-shifted as a bass track.. since I dont have a bass handy)

It's not the hit of the year. Just a very simple thing.. three chords, no percussion, no bass. That's the best that I could do for now! The tempo is 84bpm if you guys want to add loops/beats, bass, synths, etc. Everything was recorded with an SM7b through a Portico 5012 (my only good gear) except 1 guitar track that was done with a KM184. (its in French by the way, if you were wondering!)

Oh yeah, the voice is a **** track.. a real turd, but it's better than nothing heh.

Mix away! I can't wait to hear what you guys will do with that.
I'll post my personal mix in a couple days.

Best,
Simon

EDIT:it's 44.1 / 16bits
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonv
Hi everybody,

I've had many requests for a full song in the following thread:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/70315-mix-my-tracks-just-fun.html

So here it is, a little song I recorded today.

But here's is the deal:
By downloading these tracks, you agree that ALL rights concerning the music, composition, recordings, lyrics, melodies, and everything else I could forget about in this song is to be credited to me: Simon Vézina. By downloading these tracks, you have the right to mix them for fun, and post the results in this thread, but that's it. No other personal or commercial use without my consent, etc, etc. You get the idea. (I don't want to sound like a pussy, but you never know)

Info about the song:
Title: On ne fait que passer
All credits: Simon Vezina

Now that that's out of the way,
The tracks are here: http://www.simvez.com/tracks2.rar (I used rar because the compression about twice better than zip!)

It's not the hit of the year. Just a very simple thing.. three chords, no percussion, no bass. That's the best that I could do for now! The tempo is 84bpm if you guys want to add loops/beats, bass, synths, etc. Everything was recorded with an SM7b through a Portico 5012 (my only good gear) except 1 guitar track that was done with a KM184. (its in French by the way, if you were wondering!)

Oh yeah, the voice is a **** track.. a real turd, but it's better than nothing heh.

Mix away! I can't wait to hear what you guys will do with that.
I'll post my personal mix in a couple days.

Best,
Simon
Nice! I am downloading it and will have a look at the material tomorrow...!
Old 25th May 2006
Gear Addict

I've just added 2 tracks.. I edited the original post to put the link
Old 25th May 2006
Gear Head

awesome idea. will be watching this thread closely!
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Had some time today

Here's another quickie.
Old 25th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman
Here's another quickie.
Did you mix in 48k? Sounds rapid to me
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

I'm pretty sure I did.
I'll check when I get home.
Old 25th May 2006
Gear Nut

Hey..

Also a quick mix from me - and now in 44.1khz .

On ne fait que passer-uadmix.mp3
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

I like the song - ! Nice vibe...
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Do you care if we mute ****? This arrangement is a bit busy...if you know what I'm saying.
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

I agree - I have muted 4 tracks...
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've just added 2 tracks.. I edited the original post to put the link
Great song and very well recorded!
Old 25th May 2006
Gear Nut

Here you go! One more mix to the crowd.
I have put some more beats on it and also "replied" a female vocal on some of it, just for fun!! She has never spoken frence and has only for a few minutes listened to the song, so dont laugh to much

On ne fait - voxremix.mp3
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumper24
Here you go! One more mix to the crowd.
I have put some more beats on it and also "replied" a female vocal on some of it, just for fun!! She has never spoken frence and has only for a few minutes listened to the song, so dont laugh to much

Attachment 20352
Great approach! This is going to be tough...!
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

Damn. Just as I was getting ready to post, I listened to jumper24's mix. Sounds like he was going for the same feel I was. The female vocals he added sounded REALLY good. Great job everyone.

Here is my mix...
Attached Files

On ne fait que passer - GS Mix.mp3 (3.91 MB, 1022 views)

Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

OK. This time at 44.1
Attached Files

henchedout2.mp3 (2.29 MB, 998 views)

Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

my take....

Wish I had cool drum sounds and chick singers...but oh well...here goes
Attached Files

GS3MIX-2.mp3 (3.95 MB, 987 views)

Old 26th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by djui5
Do you care if we mute ****? This arrangement is a bit busy...if you know what I'm saying.
Mute away! Do whatever you feel really.

To Jumper24: Hey that's just awesome.

Thanks everyone for putting time in that. It's only for fun, but damn there's so much good stuff that I'm starting to think it could lead to future business.
Old 26th May 2006
Gear Maniac

DJUI5 and Henchman both had interesting takes. I sort of would like to hear the clarity of DJUI5's with the additions and agressiveness of Henchmans.

I think its great people have the opportunity and desire to mess around with tracks like this. Again gearslutz and its users impress.

EDIT:

I had missed jumpers mix. I think that nailed the above. Nice one.

Also, Simon... I don't think the voice track is "****" at all I quite like it. The only suggestion I have is maybe a major/minor transition or something to keep things moving.

Gotta love the SM7. The difference between that and the u47 I use is really pretty small considering the price difference.
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

Hi!

First of all, once again, great song, great playing...! I think this song could be made into a hit under professional circumstances... Being a producer I would change some (tracking issues and invite Santana), but as I was mixing this song I could notice that this song has "hit potential"... Thanks for sharing this song with us!

This was quite a tricky song to mix because the elements were over lapping each other and that often means some editing needs to be done... As I was mixing the song I thought, what about making it Abe Laboriel style... I took my keyboard, selected an acoustic bass preset and recorded a bass line. (of course NOT the sound of a real acoustic bass...) Anyway, here it is...

BTW. It would have been cool to have some analog gear around for this mix...!
Attached Files
Old 26th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Could you post the lyrics translated to english so that if someone were inclined to they would add some other vocal tracks in another language?

It could also help people to get the vibe of the song...
Old 26th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky
Also, Simon... I don't think the voice track is "****" at all I quite like it. The only suggestion I have is maybe a major/minor transition or something to keep things moving.
Yep I'll definitively work on a bridge, and on the evolution in the music. Right now I'm in my "getting the sound right" phase hehe.. Once I go back to my "let's write arrangements" phase, I'll definitively sit down and fix that one.
Old 26th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky
Could you post the lyrics translated to english so that if someone were inclined to they would add some other vocal tracks in another language?

It could also help people to get the vibe of the song...

Sure, here it goes

I am sad in advance
That one day I'll have to leave
I'd prefer ignorance
Than to be confronted to it

Everything I do is leave traces on the branches of your roads
So that without you knowing why
I'll never seem too far

Cause we're only passing my friends

something like that!
It's a song about being pissed to die someday cause it means saying goodbye to your friends. I'm writing more lyrics for it these days, I'm gonna talk about some more general wisdom and conclude with "cause we're only passing my friends".

Simon
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sure, here it goes

I am sad in advance
That one day I'll have to leave
I'd prefer ignorance
Than to be confronted to it

Everything I do is leave traces on the branches of your roads
So that without you knowing why
I'll never seem too far

something like that!
It's a song about being pissed to die someday cause it means saying goodbye to your friends. I'm writing more lyrics for it these days, I'm gonna talk about some more general wisdom and conclude with "cause we're only passing my friends".

Simon
Keep the flow...!
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

Man I tried to do something cool - but with plug-ins it's impossible. I get sticky fingers on the mouse... I feel like an old Rhodes.

I dig all ya mixes - Jumper24, great work on the female vocs and vibe on the drums. Sounds really cool.

Would be really cool to hear this song live - with real drums etc.

I didn't think the tracks where that good recorded... The guitar sounded DI'd. I wanted to retrack everything. The vocal track sounded boxy. I don't like the mic on your voice at all. Shure SM7A?
Old 26th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowStorm
Being a producer I would change some (tracking issues and invite Santana),

Here you go, my best attempt at a Santana track heh
It's really the best I could do it 30 minutes haha.. I kept the best licks, but it still sucks heh... So I present to you SANTANO:

http://www.simvez.com/santano.rar
Old 26th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dim light
The vocal track sounded boxy. I don't like the mic on your voice at all. Shure SM7A?
Shure SM7b in Portico 5012..

I have a KM184 and a sucky AKG C2000b as alternatives. What I'm planning to do is work the way up with every track. I was planning to pay studio time when most of the work is done, and record the vocals professionally, just to get the edge.

My setup is pretty limited, especially for monitoring:
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Shure SM7b in Portico 5012..

I have a KM184 and a sucky AKG C2000b as alternatives. What I'm planning to do is work the way up with every track. I was planning to pay studio time when most of the work is done, and record the vocals professionally, just to get the edge.

My setup is pretty limited, especially for monitoring:
I listened to your Santana track, it was cool, it sounded like Santana!

What a nice studio you have there, really simple and effective, perfect when you need to make music and not configure your setup!

In terms of the tracking I think that the tracks were musically well recorded. I noticed that the 1-note picking guitar track was extremely tight. When I mixed this song I noticed I was hitting a limit against my reference CD. The tracks were recorded in such a way that I had to do quite a lot of EQing, so in that way I lost a lot of signal. But I can understand that it might be difficult to track more professionally with the setup you have. Basically I would like to have much more high frequencies in the original tracks. The material is overall warm though (the waveform is pretty nice) and I'm sure the Apogee is part of this since you don't have any additional analog gear in between. When I record my Tyros through the Fireface I constantly get these very strange looking waveforms (fast transient peeks that don't "build up" naturally), I think some of it is simply digital distortion due to clock jitter.
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowStorm
The material is overall warm though (the waveform is pretty nice)

What?
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

Simonv - nice to see your studio... Is that wall pink? I like it! Sounds like a cool plan... I like the song/songs you have posted here. Keep me/us updated!

Cheers!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search