The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mix My Tracks! (PART 2 - Full song) Condenser Microphones
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

Nice mixes from everyone.
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djui5
What?

HA! (x2)

Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djui5
What?
Well, you should see the waveforms I record...! heh
Old 26th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dim light
Simonv - nice to see your studio... Is that wall pink? I like it! Sounds like a cool plan... I like the song/songs you have posted here. Keep me/us updated!

Cheers!

I got a very crappy digital cam. The walls are dark red, the acoustic panels are dark blue. Everything came out redish in that pic!
Old 26th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowStorm
Hi!

First of all, once again, great song, great playing...! I think this song could be made into a hit under professional circumstances... Being a producer I would change some (tracking issues and invite Santana), but as I was mixing this song I could notice that this song has "hit potential"... Thanks for sharing this song with us!

This was quite a tricky song to mix because the elements were over lapping each other and that often means some editing needs to be done... As I was mixing the song I thought, what about making it Abe Laboriel style... I took my keyboard, selected an acoustic bass preset and recorded a bass line. (of course NOT the sound of a real acoustic bass...) Anyway, here it is...

BTW. It would have been cool to have some analog gear around for this mix...!
I appreciate what you did there, Rainbow! Nice sound. The lead vocal after all the instruments came in needed about 1db, maybe 2 up in my opinion, but I loved your processing and arrangement on it as a whole, considering no drums. Nice work. I hear a raggae beat on a drumkit for this, and if I had my rig up, would attempt it... Soon, soon...
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

I'll take a crack at this tonight. Downloading now.

Lawrence
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

Nice song. The only thing that that caused problems was the bass and the vocals. The bass had reverb on it which I hate (except in a well recorded jazz track) and the vocal track was in a foreign lang. Nice song though.

It's eaisier to do level automation when you understand the words. heh

Here's my mix ... with BFD playing the drummer.

Lawrence
Old 27th May 2006
Gear Nut

Thought you could use a rhythm section... here's my take. I'm really a bass player, but I'm getting back into drumming after many years off, so this was some fun practice.
Attached Files

GS Mix.m4a (3.53 MB, 227 views)

Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioRhythm
Thought you could use a rhythm section... here's my take. I'm really a bass player, but I'm getting back into drumming after many years off, so this was some fun practice.
This demonstrates really well what happens to a mix when drums and bass are very well consumed in the sound field...! Great job!
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Can you make a mp3? THX.
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
BTW, could you share the bass and drum tracks with us?
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studioman22
I appreciate what you did there, Rainbow! Nice sound. The lead vocal after all the instruments came in needed about 1db, maybe 2 up in my opinion, but I loved your processing and arrangement on it as a whole, considering no drums. Nice work. I hear a raggae beat on a drumkit for this, and if I had my rig up, would attempt it... Soon, soon...
Thanks! Yeah I noticed the same as you, if I would have had more time I would have inserted it. I really miss a few additional dB of mix signal when all the instruments came in and you're right about the vocals then being a little too quiet... It would be cool with a reggae beat...!
Old 27th May 2006
Gear Addict

I always imagined this song with a reggae beat too. Wailers style with a guy jumping on his drum seat.
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonv
Wailers style with a guy jumping on his drum seat.
Now, THAT would be something...!!
Old 27th May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
This demonstrates really well what happens to a mix when drums and bass are very well consumed in the sound field...! Great job!
Thanks!
Old 27th May 2006
Gear Maniac

very nice song.i like the texture of your voice.
i tried to mix it warm and sounds vintage,didn't add any new tracks.
tell me how it is.

http://rapidshare.de/files/21530487/..._mix_.mp3.html
Old 27th May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dim light
Can you make a mp3? THX.
Here it is:
Attached Files

GS Mix.mp3 (4.64 MB, 616 views)

Old 27th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternative4
very nice song.i like the texture of your voice.
i tried to mix it warm and sounds vintage,didn't add any new tracks.
tell me how it is.

http://rapidshare.de/files/21530487/..._mix_.mp3.html

Can you upload it directly on this thread? I tried 3 times to download the file, and couldnt. As soon as I click Free Download, it comes back to the homepage and doesnt allow me to download,

Simon
Old 27th May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
I always imagined this song with a reggae beat too. Wailers style with a guy jumping on his drum seat.
I thought about going totally reggae with it, but figured I'd go with a more pop version. Nice song! It holds up with all sorts of different arrangements.
Old 27th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Can you upload it directly on this thread? I tried 3 times to download the file, and couldnt. As soon as I click Free Download, it comes back to the homepage and doesnt allow me to download,

Simon
ok,i compressed it as 320kbps mp3,so it was over 6mb.
now 224kbps attached.
Attached Files
Old 27th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Here it is:

great mix!nice bassline.heh
Old 28th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Well I tried the pseudo-reggae approach - looking forward to checking out everyones mixes...
Attached Files

StizzMix 1.mp3 (5.38 MB, 616 views)

Old 29th May 2006
Lives for gear

heres is my "Electronic Peace" mix.....im so used to hip hop,please forgive me.

i wanted a very tranquil mix you could really chill too...very air and lots of room!!

very clean - sirocco style!
Attached Files
Old 29th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizz
Well I tried the pseudo-reggae approach - looking forward to checking out everyones mixes...
Now THAT is damn close to what I was thinkin with the raggae, damn fine job Stizz, and I think you're right on the "radio" voice effect. It needed something like that from the producer standpoint, more variation in the vocal as possibly more parts as well. But of course you were just twistin the knobs on that one, and I think the artist should take note of what Stizz might be trying to tell him in a subtle way. Loved the drum parts- tasteful, not overplayed, and real close to what I was hearing. That was a treat, thanks. But then again, I would expect no less from the boys down at Doppler.
Old 29th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Here's mine. I didn't use the extra tracks, I wanted to see what I could get out of the originals.
Attached Files

knightsy-gs.mp3 (4.29 MB, 587 views)

Old 30th May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
BTW, could you share the bass and drum tracks with us?
Just saw this -- anybody still want me to post my tracks so you can do a mix with them?
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightsy
Here's mine. I didn't use the extra tracks, I wanted to see what I could get out of the originals.
Hey Knightsy, I like what you did, the call-and-response is a good idea!
You cleaned up the different parts well too,
Simon
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Just saw this -- anybody still want me to post my tracks so you can do a mix with them?
Sure! Post away, i hope there'll be plenty more.
That's BFD on the drums right?
What did you create the beat with? With pads or by programming?

About 200 people downloaded the tracks, so i hope they'll post what they did.
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hi!

First of all, once again, great song, great playing...! I think this song could be made into a hit under professional circumstances... Being a producer I would change some (tracking issues and invite Santana), but as I was mixing this song I could notice that this song has "hit potential"... Thanks for sharing this song with us!

This was quite a tricky song to mix because the elements were over lapping each other and that often means some editing needs to be done... As I was mixing the song I thought, what about making it Abe Laboriel style... I took my keyboard, selected an acoustic bass preset and recorded a bass line. (of course NOT the sound of a real acoustic bass...) Anyway, here it is...

BTW. It would have been cool to have some analog gear around for this mix...!
I just relistened to your mix on my trusty NS10s heh
and it sounds good! It's very coherent overall!

I'm stiring the project towards a more acoustic-reggae approach (there'll be a lot of percussions) but it's nice to hear the style you gave it.
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Sure! Post away, i hope there'll be plenty more.
That's BFD on the drums right?
What did you create the beat with? With pads or by programming?
No -- that's me playing my studio drums (as in real acoustic drums and cymbals!)heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search