The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
American Idol - original songs for taylor and kat??
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

American Idol - original songs for taylor and kat??

i was relatively eagerly awaiting hearing the original songs written for taylor and katherine at the end of last night's show, thinking they might be really good. but jeebus -- they both totally sucked. the lyrics were puerile, and the melody lines and chord progressions were hackneyed and cheesy. with all the resources available to the producers of that show, you would think they would have had a couple of amazing new songs for those two to sing. if it were me, i think i would have had 3 or 4 songs written for each of them, let them sing through each one, and then made a collaborative decision on which was right for the singer and the show. how did they wind up with such CHEESY stupid original songs??
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Yep
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Guru

It ain't so easy to write a good song. Probably 10,000 songs written to every really good one. And then it has to be the right singer for that song.

I think Taylor is highly over-rated. I like Katherine when the song is right. She was amazing on 'Over the Rainbow' last night. Really awesome.
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

i sort of lost my enthusiasm for the show after chris and elliot were eliminated. i thought those two were the best on this season. chris really has potential to make it in the industry. elliot had the best song of the season with moody's mood for love - just fabulous.
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great
It ain't so easy to write a good song. Probably 10,000 songs written to every really good one. And then it has to be the right singer for that song.

I think Taylor is highly over-rated. I like Katherine when the song is right. She was amazing on 'Over the Rainbow' last night. Really awesome.
it was awful

i think they hired a old contestant to write (seriously), rather than choosing the song for the song. There are TONS of great songs floating around in publishing land....there is no shortage of good songs out there (already in the hands of major publishers).....politics.....and further politics shapes most decisions......
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

those songs sucked, they pull that **** every year

its really to bad(bad songs determining the outcome), I like that show, its a trip watching those kids
(except taylor) go thru the process and play those venues
with that great band generally getting better as the pressure heats up, it actually is very good tv, considering the options
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Both those songs licked hole. I really think that taylor should have done a John Hiatt song. I totally expected it all season. But oh well... What do I know......
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

HORRIBLE! You know David Foster did those... Same arrangements as all the Josh Grobin tunes and everything else he writes...

Slow intro - Verse - Chorus Small - Verse - Chorus Bigger - Bridge - Drop all music out (Verse) - Modulate up a 3rd (Chorus 2 times) - End out on a vocal note.

BLAH BLAH BLAH......Those 2 songs have been written 10 million times over. Just my 2 cents. Also I thought all the parts were pretty lame as well. I know those 2 will be much better off with other songwriters.

Rob
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

I only hope Kat does not win - the last thing we need is another female diva vocalist singing the same old stuff in the same way everyone else does. At least Taylor has some freaking soul and digs it out. But I am partial to the music he sings and really hate the stuff Kat sings normally.

Oh yeah - both songs blew last night. Kat sounded like a cat. At least Taylor managed to put a bit of a spin on it and salvaged it a little.
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Taylor should just co-write with the existing members of the Doobie Brothers and call it a day...We could use a Doobie revival..At this point in music, at least it is different.

Rob
Old 25th May 2006
Gear Nut

As I was watching those two songs I couldn't help but cringe throughout. Two of the worst pieces of music I've heard in quite a while.

While I was observing these two trainwrecks I couldn't help but think that it was some kind of final test. As if the producers said "Hey you two, here's a steaming pile, see if you can make this work, sell it to us." If I were Katherine I would have just stopped the whole production and started something acapella with the choir. She really got stuck with the biggest steaming pile.

Their first big singles, uh-huh. At least they won't have to worry about illegal downloads or pirating.heh
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Taylor is the man, has an amazing voice. Id like to have whatever it is that people who think he sucks are having...

elliot was horrible, mandisa was nothing to write home about...Chris had the pickle in the mouth thing...

He really reminds me of Joe cocker or Micheal Mcdonald.
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

chris really has potential to make it in the industry.

you can say that again. He sucks bad enough to do just fine. Mr. Nickelback picklemouth psueudo scream garbage..
Old 25th May 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.RayBullard
Taylor is the man, has an amazing voice. Id like to have whatever it is that people who think he sucks are having...

elliot was horrible, mandisa was nothing to write home about...Chris had the pickle in the mouth thing...

I agree with all of the abouve, except I don't find Taylor all that good. His rendition of 'You are so beautiful' was just so-so I thought.

I liked Kellie Pickler.
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I agree with all of the abouve, except I don't find Taylor all that good. His rendition of 'You are so beautiful' was just so-so I thought.

I liked Kelly Pickler.
I liked Kelly too! Shes from very close to my hometown.

Taylor is fantastic..he just needs some voice lessons...he will be unstoppable.
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:
Yea, Michael McDonald does come to mind... he (Michael) is one of the most dynamic and amazing singers that is recording today IMHO.

I agree that Chris sounds like a crappy Nickelback-Fuel-Puddle of Mudd-clone; he sings totally from his larynx and there is no diaphragm there... he is going to totally ruin his voice eventually and not be able to sing at all.

Quote:
elliot was horrible
I actually thought Elliott was good, especially on the Stevie Wonder material.

On the topic of those two songs, I bet it was torture for the two contestants to have to sing those awful pieces of crap as their last songs on AI. I think I saw Kat cringe a few times while she sang about "My Destiny....."...

I hope Taylor wins because we have a million Kats out there and really very few Taylors. I just don't know if I can watch a 2-hour finale episode... god, do they drag that sh*t out. I guess I should turn on the TV now but can I really fool myself into caring that much? I guess I can; I just posted about it... how embarrasing...
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob King
HORRIBLE! You know David Foster did those... Same arrangements as all the Josh Grobin tunes and everything else he writes...

Slow intro - Verse - Chorus Small - Verse - Chorus Bigger - Bridge - Drop all music out (Verse) - Modulate up a 3rd (Chorus 2 times) - End out on a vocal note.

BLAH BLAH BLAH......Those 2 songs have been written 10 million times over. Just my 2 cents. Also I thought all the parts were pretty lame as well. I know those 2 will be much better off with other songwriters.

Rob
Who on earth told you that David Foster wrote them?
Hanne Sorvaag wrote it to my knowledge.

Your frustration with song structure is called a "pop song". It works a lot of times for a reason. It fails miserably when someone can't write cleverly and memorably (is that a word) within that structure.
Old 25th May 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_hti
It fails miserably when someone can't write cleverly and memorably (is that a word) within that structure.
Which is most of the time.

--

PRINCE! Cool, what a way to end.
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
PRINCE! Cool, what a way to end.

the artist formerly known as the artist formerly known as Prince. heh

he rocks!
Old 25th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_hti
Who on earth told you that David Foster wrote them?
Hanne Sorvaag wrote it to my knowledge.

Your frustration with song structure is called a "pop song". It works a lot of times for a reason. It fails miserably when someone can't write cleverly and memorably (is that a word) within that structure.
I believe the problems these days is that they are writing hits. Sure. Hits are being produced and written all the time. But "Classic" Hits seem to be a thing of the past.
Old 25th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNy C
I believe the problems these days is that they are writing hits. Sure. Hits are being produced and written all the time. But "Classic" Hits seem to be a thing of the past.
Very well said.
Old 25th May 2006
Gear Addict

yeah the songs weren't well written, that one lyric in Taylors stuck out so bad, i hated something with the word graitude or something, argh...oh well, i normally dont like the american idols cause theyre just singers and i like singer/songwriter stuff, or bands...not just a pretty face singing some song cause they have a good voice, something that actually means something to them, ya know...thats why i actually liked Taylor, cause he can actually do something besides sing
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNy C

Thank you.....That's what I wanted to say.

I din't say that he wrote them, I just thought he might have because they sound exactly like everything else he writes and produces. Don't want to offend anyone....

Rob
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

It's hard to believe mcfee and hicks were the top two

I watched Idol tonight and it was a disgrace Paris, elliot
or even Mandisa didn't place higher.

mcfee is so phony and sour at times
she got better as the weeks progressed but if her and hicks is the best the country can produce it's a disgrace.

that show has got to be fixed or the public has no clue what real talent is

Prince made them all look amateur
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Jay Leno

Just checked out the AI US site to check out this 'Taylor' dude.

It's probably been said 1000x, but is he Jay Leno or what?
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjustice
the artist formerly known as the artist formerly known as Prince. heh

he rocks!

Prince fukkin rules...his performance made everyone else look like total amatuersthumbsup
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Um..they are amateurs.

Taylor will be awesome......he just needs some experience.Ive been a professional singer for several years, and im telling you, that dude has some pipes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm
Prince fukkin rules...his performance made everyone else look like total amatuersthumbsup

Paris??She wasnt anything special! Mandisa...im not going there....I do have to say that Elliot had his moments, but he wasnt consistent. What the hell were they thinking with Bucky?? Hes from my State, but damn!
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins
It's hard to believe mcfee and hicks were the top two

I watched Idol tonight and it was a disgrace Paris, elliot
or even Mandisa didn't place higher.

mcfee is so phony and sour at times
she got better as the weeks progressed but if her and hicks is the best the country can produce it's a disgrace.
r

Even in the real world the best singers don't sell the most albums. Ask Ms. Spears and Jessica Simpson's sister. It's American Idol, a popularity show, not a talent show.
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=T.RayBullard]Um..they are amateurs.
Taylor will be awesome......he just needs some experience.Ive been a professional singer for several years, and im telling you, that dude has some pipes!

QUOTE]
And that's exactly what they look and sound like to me. I see no talent in Taylor but what do I know
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=superburtm]
Quote:
Um..they are amateurs.

QUOTE]
And that's exactly what they look and sound like to me. I see no talent in Taylor but what do I know
To each his own! I aint mad at ye.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search