The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
American Idol - original songs for taylor and kat??
Old 25th May 2006
Gear Maniac

It's odd that the judges constantly harp about song selection through the whole series but when the winners make it through, the songs chosen for them are complete drivel. It happens every time too. Anyone remember Ruben Studdard's first single? Didn't think so.

What really floored me was the stat that more people voted for American Idol than any president in the history of the United States.

I guess that's another discussion though.
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

My biggest criticism of AI is how bad the song selection has been, whether originals written for contestants or covers. Too many times a number's been used that starts in so low a register that the singers (especially the women) have no projection, no emotion, no vibe. I didn't think Kat was all that great a singer (too much head voice for my taste) but she was clearly disserved by that putrid tune that was forced on her as her first single. Taylor's single starts out exactly the same way, and he could barely hold his pitch the notes were so low. You'd think a franchise as successful as AI could afford the best song pickers money can buy.

I did shed a tear when that geeky kid almost fell over upon Clay's surprise appearance. I thought it was k.d. lang until Clay opened his mouth.

And didja catch the brief cut-to of David Hasselhoff crying in the audience after Taylor was crowned? WTF?
Old 25th May 2006
Gear Maniac

HASSELHOFF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newnes
What really floored me was the stat that more people voted for American Idol than any president in the history of the United States.
68 MILLION...and people wonder why its really important that they vote in a presidential election.

Quote:
And didja catch the brief cut-to of David Hasselhoff crying in the audience after Taylor was crowned? WTF?
lmfao!
Old 25th May 2006
Gear Guru

Well that's a completely bogus stat because in AI you can ote over and over again.

I honestly don't know what people hear when they listen. I think they listen with their eyes most of the time. I don't get Taylor and Kat as the two top singers. Elliot and Chris were better in my book. Paris was great.
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

american idol

Maybe for the next election we should make the people running for president sing on ai . The votes might actuly be counted correctly and we'll vote in a president that americans really want in office this time!

I personaly wouldn't be cought dead watching ai, EVER!!!!!!!!!!!

Stace
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear
In my IHO.... ..American Idol picks songs the same way the music industry do now. They pick songs that goes with the "Fad" and what sells. Not what's best for the artist at hand! If they handed the artist a " great" song and it's not what the public wants to hear ( Fad, cookie cutter), then to the public, the artist sucks...! ( unfortunately this is the acceptance now) Why do you think there are so many 'look-a-like", "sound-a-likes"? They (AI, Industry) could care less about a "great" song if the majority rule song makes them ....MONEY...!..( YMMV).......
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by newnes

I guess that's another discussion though.

Here we can learn 2 lessons:

1. We need to start letting 12 - 16 year kids vote in the presidential election
2. We should start with 12 presidential candidates on TV and eliminate them one at a time each week based on how well they sing and how purdy they are...heh

Paul

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search