The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rackmount USB Hub? 16+ Ports? Modular Synthesizers
Old 6th February 2010
  #31
^^ Nice!.. I would grab the top one personaly, with the 2nd one i hate it that the ports are spread around both sides of the box.. ima peep these
Old 6th April 2010
  #32
Like many of you, google search brought me here. Would definitely love an all-in-one rack with USB 2.0, Firewire 400 & 800.
Old 9th April 2010
  #33
Lives for gear
 
Tibbon's Avatar
Ok, I've gotta figure this out now. I know too many kickass electronics people to not make at least a run of 50 or so of these. Going to ask around with some people tonight for some help. They might not turn out super cheap, but the will be good.

1200mA per port for every port sound useful too ?
Old 9th April 2010
  #34
Lives for gear
 
The MPCist's Avatar
 

This thread looks very interesting Tibbon -- I'm gonna keep tabs on this and will probably get one when it's out.
Old 9th April 2010
  #35
Gear Maniac
I've been watching this thread for a long time now hoping it would re-engage and someone with the skill to build electronics would step up. Put me down for one if it comes through!
Old 9th April 2010
  #36
Lives for gear
 
octatonic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon View Post
Ok, I've gotta figure this out now. I know too many kickass electronics people to not make at least a run of 50 or so of these. Going to ask around with some people tonight for some help. They might not turn out super cheap, but the will be good.

1200mA per port for every port sound useful too ?
I'm in.
I'll grab at least one, probably two.
Old 9th April 2010
  #37
Deleted User
Guest
posting so I can keep track..hit me if this is a go.
Old 21st May 2010
  #38
Here for the gear
 

I'd buy one, possibly two.
Old 13th June 2010
  #39
Any updates to this thread peoples?
Im keen as ever to get one of these..
..I wonder how much it would cost for me to get an electronics-minded person to build one of these?
Old 26th June 2010
  #40
Here for the gear
 

looks like there is a design

here:
20-port rackmount USB 2.0 hub

however, nothing about production
Old 26th June 2010
  #41
Re: Rackmount USB Hub? 16+ Ports?

Super interested!
Old 5th September 2010
  #42
Gear Head
 

id buy one!
Old 9th September 2010
  #43
Lives for gear
 
Tibbon's Avatar
Every few months I look back at this and figure I should really do it.

Maybe this time I'll call and contract my EE friends to actually help.
Old 5th October 2010
  #44
Lives for gear
+1x1000 (sorry to resurrect this old thread)

I really wish this was a reality, atleast in a half rack format. Some firewire 400/800 options would be helpful but I agree usb is the main priority. My main concern is actually current rather than number of ports or port hierachy and chaining.

Anybody know of a solid unit with 7+ ports capable of a heap of current?

I run a macbook rig so powered hubs are a necessity to overcome the macbooks only 2 usb ports. Plus my rig has been optibay converted to have a 2nd hard drive and the newly converted external DVD drive has already burnt through 2 wallwarts on some cheap ebayed usb powered hubs which must have been underpowered than the 500ma they quoted as the macbook can run them just fine when using its ports alone.

So I use a bunch of powered hubs to distribute power to my ever growing number of devices including; axiom 61 controller, monome clone & its bright LEDs, novation nocturn, alesis trigger I/O, amt8, misc dongles, keyboard & mouse, a couple of backup drives, a usb foot controller, often an extra controller or 2. If not setup right the DVD drive spinning up or the monome flashing full lights can dim the axiom61's backlight! The constant chaining makes the setup a nightmare balancing power and working out which units need priority.

The main drag is the walwarts which normally aren't long enough to reach the ground and are so bulky they take up 2 slots on a power strip. So a rack unit with an internal supply only requiring the standard 'kettle' cord would be great! I've had a couple of awkward live setups involving gaffer taping a power extension cord halfway up a keyboard stand to meet a pissy wallwart. Incorporating it into my rack unit would be amazing, especially live.


So any recommended devices for me with at least 2amps or more? The usb.brando one from earlier in the thread with all the dongles on top looks promising but a front accessed unit would be best, it advertises 2Amps so it could handle a bunch of my bus powered monsters. I might try that and strip the edges down (if u look at some of the pics) it might fit in a rack somehow & it has an inline supply for a bit easier powering & looks to be less than 1u thick (slap the whole guy in a 1u panel maybe?)

Has anybody come come up with some nice methods since this thread began? (I'm still interested Tibbon)
Old 9th October 2010
  #45
Lives for gear
 
Tibbon's Avatar
I contacted some EE people I know today to help me with board layout. Crossing my fingers. It isn't a sexy problem, but hopefully one they'll be interested in.

Thinking USB 3.0, high current (900mA/port). 16 channels. 12 on the back, 4 on the front. 16 indicator lights for state of each port, 1 for power and a power switch.
Old 10th October 2010
  #46
Moderator
 
matt thomas's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon View Post
I contacted some EE people I know today to help me with board layout. Crossing my fingers. It isn't a sexy problem, but hopefully one they'll be interested in.

Thinking USB 3.0, high current (900mA/port). 16 channels. 12 on the back, 4 on the front. 16 indicator lights for state of each port, 1 for power and a power switch.
I would actually go for a higher count than that, as there are many 8 port units available these days, and thats just tow of them (although its better than nothing!). Also remember to make the ports positioned so that they can accept awkward shaped things like iloks in adjacent ports thumbsup

matt
Old 7th November 2010
  #47
Lives for gear
My "old" DLink USB 2.0 powered hub died on me this week (shouldn't these things last forever?), so I'm on the market for a USB hub. I found these that some of you might be interested in, though it's US only, so my search continues... grr...

USB Gear , the interesting industrial ones are at the bottom of the page.
Old 10th January 2011
  #48
Gear Head
 

Another option would be a PCMCIA card with the USB ports housed in a break-box.
Old 10th January 2011
  #49
Haven't read all the replies so I don't know if this has been suggested but you could buy a 16 channel XLR rack panel, some USB D-norm connectors from Neutrik, some short USB A-B leads and a few regular powered USB hubs.

It's not the most cost-effective solution but hey, it works! heh

I was going to build one for our USB, ethernet and Firewire but for the cost I'd rather fumble round the back
Old 20th January 2011
  #50
Here for the gear
 

I'm doing it...

I found this thread a while back when I was looking for the same thing (a rack mount USB hub). I did some work on it and then put it aside. Well, I'm back to working on it. I'm a professional electronics design engineer so doing this is not that hard. There are some finer points to them, but nothing that can't be overcome with money. As I've researched this I've come to find out why some of the cheaper units only work with some devices and why some don't work at all. It simply all comes down to price.

On cheaper hubs they may have gone with a two-layer PCB when a good design really needs a 4-layer. One of the other things is the spec for power requirements. USB specs 100mA or 500mA (depending on what's plugged in). Some manufacturers "skimp" on this assuming that no one will ever use all the ports pulling max current. "Port" powered hubs are the worse.

Mine will be at the minimum of 7 downstream ports, each capable of the real spec of 500mA per port. There will be room between the ports for odd shaped devices such as dongles and such. I'm considering the design such that the ports are available on both the front and back of the unit (it'll be an ordering option). I'm figuring something like 7, 14, 21, 28 and 49 ports. As you can see, adhering to the spec, 49 ports means a 24.5(+) Amp power supply. The units will be 2.0 with backwards compatibility, but until the IC manufacturers get up to speed on 3.0 (no pun intended) that'll be some time away. I figure 1U for the smaller units and grow accordingly with port number. I'll say upfront; these will not be cheap (relatively speaking). You can buy a 7 port hub for under $20.00 but it will be junk. I will not be competing with these on any level so cost is going to come second to doing what is supposed to do.

One of the biggest costs in the whole thing is USB compliance testing. Testing at a private lab is upwards of $5000.00. Joining the USB official sanctioning "club" is $2500.00/year but you can get testing done for less.

I have a business website with my contact info and status updates on the project, but I'm new here and don't know if posting this info is ok or not. If a moderator could let me know I'd appreciate it. It'll be a couple of months before the first units are available, and they most likely will not carry the official "USB" logo until I can pay for testing.

Mike T.
Old 23rd February 2011
  #51
Gear Maniac
 
Ben J's Avatar
 

Sounds interesting.

Well, whoever makes one first, I'd grab it for sure.
Old 23rd February 2011
  #52
Gear Addict
 
MTStudios's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarydesign View Post
I found this thread a while back when I was looking for the same thing (a rack mount USB hub). I did some work on it and then put it aside. Well, I'm back to working on it. I'm a professional electronics design engineer so doing this is not that hard. There are some finer points to them, but nothing that can't be overcome with money. As I've researched this I've come to find out why some of the cheaper units only work with some devices and why some don't work at all. It simply all comes down to price.

On cheaper hubs they may have gone with a two-layer PCB when a good design really needs a 4-layer. One of the other things is the spec for power requirements. USB specs 100mA or 500mA (depending on what's plugged in). Some manufacturers "skimp" on this assuming that no one will ever use all the ports pulling max current. "Port" powered hubs are the worse.

Mine will be at the minimum of 7 downstream ports, each capable of the real spec of 500mA per port. There will be room between the ports for odd shaped devices such as dongles and such. I'm considering the design such that the ports are available on both the front and back of the unit (it'll be an ordering option). I'm figuring something like 7, 14, 21, 28 and 49 ports. As you can see, adhering to the spec, 49 ports means a 24.5(+) Amp power supply. The units will be 2.0 with backwards compatibility, but until the IC manufacturers get up to speed on 3.0 (no pun intended) that'll be some time away. I figure 1U for the smaller units and grow accordingly with port number. I'll say upfront; these will not be cheap (relatively speaking). You can buy a 7 port hub for under $20.00 but it will be junk. I will not be competing with these on any level so cost is going to come second to doing what is supposed to do.

One of the biggest costs in the whole thing is USB compliance testing. Testing at a private lab is upwards of $5000.00. Joining the USB official sanctioning "club" is $2500.00/year but you can get testing done for less.

I have a business website with my contact info and status updates on the project, but I'm new here and don't know if posting this info is ok or not. If a moderator could let me know I'd appreciate it. It'll be a couple of months before the first units are available, and they most likely will not carry the official "USB" logo until I can pay for testing.

Mike T.
I can see something this well built becoming standard fare in a lot of studios, let us know how it goes! And PM me details for your website if you like.

Cheers,
Anthony
Old 8th April 2011
  #53
Here for the gear
 

we sale these @ $400 usd contact us at [email protected] use them in our lighting racks for dmx universes they work great ..






also can get these .. but they are super expensive ..

Old 9th April 2011
  #54
Here for the gear
 

I would rate $400.00 for a usb hub super expensive ...so I don't even want to know who much the other are
Old 19th April 2011
  #55
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathByMedia View Post
I would rate $400.00 for a usb hub super expensive ...so I don't even want to know who much the other are

HEHE they are pricey its because of the channels before these you could only get hubs with 4 maybe 7 and they are not in rack mount units which are awesome for studios ect you could prob Frankenstein two or more walmart units into a rack but i would just prefer buying them but we are a touring company and have a few extra bucks i wish everything was cheep i might be able to have one of our manufactures in china start producing some at prob half the price .. as far as the bottom one with 20 outputs your looking at about 1300.00 they are crazy pricey but if your running 20 dmx universes in a club on a led matrix wall then whats 1200 bucks when you spending 100k on a install i would only suggest you get that one if you really had a use for it .. the one for 400 is quite a live saver in the field .. worth the 400


ps for the guys that want to buy some on my email . i will email you this weekend im on tour wont be back till Friday ..
Old 22nd April 2011
  #56
Here for the gear
 

Hacked Racked #1

I have looked around for ever with no affordable solution. Ive been considering hacking a usb rack mount solution. Maybe you guys would like to go in and do so. It could be up to 200 bux or as low as 100 for this solution.

You are going to need these supplies.

1. A thin Usb Hub.

This one looks like it could do the job perfect. one down fall it doesnt have switches. Geek Stuff 4 U - From Japan. To The World. Elecom USB 10 Ports Hub


2.USB Male to Male connector.

I dont know if this will actually work but I think you could connect 2 of the usb hubs together with one of these upping the ports to 20 total. Im leaning more toward this not working.


3. A blank rack space

Belden KeyConnect Modular Empty - patch panel with cable management - 1U - AX103114 - Network Patch Panels and Jacks - CDW.com
or
ASSMANN Electronics, Inc. 1-877-277-6266 :: Tempe, Arizona U.S.A.


I think if you got all of these supplies together you could build a rack mounted usb hub. You would need to cut and file down the rack space to fit the usb hub in correctly. You also might get a little sloppy by having to mount the hub to the rack space via some epoxy or JB Weld or similar. I think if you removed the internal parts of the hub mounted the casing to the rack painted it and re-assembled the hub you could make a good front facing rack hub.

What do you guys think? How could we improve this? Lets get a community going on this and crank out a few?
Old 22nd April 2011
  #57
Here for the gear
 

Rack Hack #2

Switch usb rack mount options.

I just ordered one of these to take it apart.*

ThinkGeek :: USB 7 Port Hub with Power Switches

If there is a way to direct the usb ports backward you could have a rack with all of the switches facing forward and you could connect all your usb devices in the back.

I was thinking a bit more about how I have a friend with a laser acrylic cutter. I could have them cut me a custom rack space to my needs for this project. Maybe you could do the same?

*here is a cheaper version: Welcome to Usb.brando.com
Old 22nd April 2011
  #58
Here for the gear
 

this site has some cool custom rack spaces as well.

OVM - Patch Panels, Wall Plates, Face Plates, Floor Boxes, Cables, Connectors, Adapters, and More!
Old 7th September 2011
  #59
Here for the gear
 

Digi® Hubport® 14 Port Rackmount USB 2.0 Hub -- $378







Hubport offers a simple solution for adding switched Universal Serial Bus (USB) ports to a PC,
server or thin client. This external, user installable solution plugs into an existing USB port to
provide four or seven additional USB 2.0 ports in a compact chassis for instant peripheral device
connectivity. The switched USB architecture guarantees maximum performance on all ports
simultaneously. Hubport is available in AC powered and DC powered models.

Product Data Sheet

Hubport/14 - 14-port USB hub - Digi International
Digi Hubport - Switched USB expansion hubs - Digi International
Old 7th September 2011
  #60
Here for the gear
 






DST 16 Port Industrial USB Hub 090909 -- $72.00



Features:
16-Port Hub
Fully compliant USB 2.0 specification
Backward compatible with USB 1.1
Input: 100-240V AC, 50/60Hz, 0.5A
Output: 5V DC, 3A, 15W
Dimension: 169 x 118 x 38mm
Weight: 310g

Package Contents:
Industrial USB 16-Port Hub
USB Cable
Universal AC adapter




Welcome to Usb.brando.com
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Dopamine / Music Computers
8
max cooper / Music Computers
6
enharmonic / Music Computers
3

Forum Jump
Forum Jump