The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I'm torn between ChannelStrips! UA6176
Old 10th April 2012
Lives for gear

I'm torn between ChannelStrips! UA6176

I've read a lot of threads on here and people praising preamps but they never say what they really like about it for us noobs. I could go UA6176 because a friend of mine has it and likes it but, is there anything better or just as good in that price range..?? The 1176 sounds very appealing. I want something that would give me "a sound." I think that would be cool. I heard the neve does that but its expensive and its only a pre. Thanks for ur time

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Gearslutz App
Old 10th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennaOkoye View Post
I've read a lot of threads on here and people praising preamps but they never say what they really like about it for us noobs. I could go UA6176 because a friend of mine has it and likes it but, is there anything better or just as good in that price range..?? The 1176 sounds very appealing. I want something that would give me "a sound." I think that would be cool. I heard the neve does that but its expensive and its only a pre. Thanks for ur time

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Gearslutz App
The 1176 is a compressor/limiter only
The 6176 is a channel strip which includes an 1176,a 610 mic pre and a two band shelving eq
You can use each side independently or chain them both
Old 10th April 2012
Just to throw one more idea out there... check out the Fink CS-1.
Fink Analog Audio CS1-FA Mono Channel Strip | Alto Music

I have the CS-2, and it's pretty awesome. Definitely has a "sound"
Old 10th April 2012
Lives for gear

Or Retro Powerstrip...
Old 10th April 2012
Lives for gear

While we're naming channel strips - I'd go with the Aurora Audio GTQC

GTQC | Aurora Audio
Old 4th May 2012
Lives for gear

Oooww I read about that aurora in other threads hmmm what are its weaknesses and what is the pre modeled after IF its even emulating something
Old 4th May 2012
Lives for gear

S*it the powerstrip was looking like it would be on top untill I saw the fairchild style compressor.... I would have liked a more flexible comp.... Any more ideas guys based on my comments?
Old 17th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennaOkoye View Post
S*it the powerstrip was looking like it would be on top untill I saw the fairchild style compressor.... I would have liked a more flexible comp.... Any more ideas guys based on my comments?
It's an RS124 type comp and it's more flexible than it looks.
Not a silver bullet, though.
It is very simple to use.
I haven't found anything that it sounds bad on, yet.
It definitely has "a sound".
Old 20th May 2012
Lives for gear

What about stacking vocals? Is the coloration something that blends sweetly, or does it sound dirty after a while... with lets say pop music...
Old 20th May 2012
Lives for gear

I want a detailed, Silky smooth Pre in the top end, with tight bottom something that adds sheen, or hi-fi to anything I guess, somehow a nice pronounced mid... and a compressor with a sound, and a flexible eq... i guess we all want that, just looking for the closest one lol
Old 20th May 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Korneff View Post
Just to throw one more idea out there... check out the Fink CS-1.
Fink Analog Audio CS1-FA Mono Channel Strip | Alto Music

I have the CS-2, and it's pretty awesome. Definitely has a "sound"
+1 for the Fink CS-2. +1 for Alto Music, too!
Old 20th May 2012
Lives for gear

For clean and sheen try the Blue Robbie mic pre
Old 20th May 2012
Lives for gear

Hi Kenna, nice to meet ya on GS too

My personal advice: Don't listen to the preamp fetishism, it's not worth it imho. EQs and especially dynamics make a much bigger, relevant difference. Having said that, a 1176 circuit is kind of foolproof and classic, so the 6176 is an ok package to me. I would also use simple, recallable eq correction for tracking, usually I just adjust the highs depending on what mic and source I use. A dream combination for me would be a non fizzly mic (gefell for example) into the maag preq into an LA3A. The best HF boost ever into the thickest, most effective vocal comp ever.
Old 21st May 2012
Lives for gear

Flo! hahaha wassup bro. I thought about starting thius thread on Facebook lol
Old 21st May 2012
Lives for gear

I'm liking the TK Audio ST-1 a lot already and will use it more this coming weekend... check it out, it's a surprisingly flexible keenly priced box.
Old 21st May 2012
mds
Lives for gear

6176 is a solid piece with classic tones. Pretty colored sound throughout, but in a good 'you've heard it on a million records' way. 610 pre isn't for everything, so its nice you can split it to use the 1176 with other preamps as well.

The new Rupert Neve Designs channel looks pretty tempting too. Those pieces all sound very nice: http://rupertneve.com/products/portico-ii/
Old 21st May 2012
Lives for gear

what wouldnt u use a 6176 on?

portico is dumb expensive...
Old 21st May 2012
Lives for gear

:P
A 1176 is a great and forgiving comp that does a good job of keeping the loudest bursts down. However it is not really "leveling" your signal as much or as good as a piece like the LA3A or 2A. Those puppies do an almost magical job of not only taming the loud stuff to a great degree, they bring up the soft stuff much more, round off too sharp transients, don't mess with the medium loud stuff. I am still looking for the one piece that can do what the LA3A does at a lower price point or in a more flexible way. I still haven't found it, it kills everything as the first stage of dynamics on any kind of vocal. It makes a vocal strong, big, smooth and so mic easier to mix. Just pull the fader up, done, not half as much automation or more dynamics needed as when tracking with other comps.
I still have to shoot it out against the 610 mkII we have in one of our rooms...maybe they nailed it performance wise, then I would recommend the strip to you in a heartbeat.
Old 21st May 2012
Lives for gear

hmm... I Think Idealy I would go for an LA610 w/ a AVALON 2022 and call it a day

I mean 6176 and Avalon 2022 to run all my boards thru
Old 21st May 2012
Lives for gear

yes I meant the LA610 of course!
you know what...I will send you files to make you experience what I mean. Do you have some uncompressed takes of a dynamic vocalist of one of your recent projects? You can also send me those and I will run them through some comps and level match them so you can flip between them...
Old 21st May 2012
Lives for gear

Perfect! Will do that

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search