The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Aurora GTM-822 - your thoughts?
Old 24th May 2006
  #1
Lives for gear
 
heyman's Avatar
Aurora GTM-822 - your thoughts?

Any pics or anybody stop by the Aurora Audio booth and check out the Mixer by Geoff Tanner?

Your impressions?

Thanks
Old 24th May 2006
  #2
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 

You'll have to wait until San Francisco AES for that one...
Old 24th May 2006
  #3
Lives for gear
 
heyman's Avatar
Tony , I was under the impression that Geoff was showing it at Paris?
Old 24th May 2006
  #4
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyman
Tony , I was under the impression that Geoff was showing it at Paris?
I don't believe so... but, I'll ask Geoff if he went.
EDIT: Nope... San Fran AES!
Old 24th May 2006
  #5
Lives for gear
 

Weird that it wasn't shown at this past AES, I remember seeing it in New York back in 2003...

-Duardo
Old 24th May 2006
  #6
Lives for gear
 
nobtwiddler's Avatar
Mine is amazing, except for....

I've got one!
Had it since December of last year.
It's the center piece of my new portable rig, which is used exclusively for cutting and mixing in remote locations, along with a Genex DSD recorder.

I think the GTM is amazing, it is built like a tank and sounds absolutley fabulous!
Works as it should, no problems here!

My only complaint is the promised updates. And these were important selling points for me, as much as the units sound and build quaity.
Since I'm using this on location to record and track, I NEED talkback, this was promised to be available a month or so after I purchased the unit, as well as the remote Fader pack.
But to this day, still nothing?
I spoke with Geoff a while ago and he said that he had the talkback card with compressor unit working?
And I saw a fader pack at the AES show that was operational???
He said it would be ready soon. That was months ago...
Never heard another word.

And trying to get Geoff to answer phone calls or emails is almost impossible?
I realize he's a busy guy, and is basically a one man operation, but a reply once in a while with a HONEST answer on time frames would be much appreciated.
My other concern is if something were to happen to the unit while on a location what then???

If I don't get the updates soon, I'm going to look elsewhere for something that can deliver all the functions I need for my set up.
It's too bad, cause I was considering a second unit, but not now.

That being said, Geoff is a great guy, and he builds wonderful products, if your only going to use the mixer for summing or just mixing, it's in a league all by itself.
It's the unit to get!

Paul
www.millbrooksoundstudios.com
Attached Thumbnails
Aurora GTM-822 - your thoughts?-gtm-3.jpg  
Old 24th May 2006
  #7
Lives for gear
 
heyman's Avatar
Nobtwiddler.. thanks again for the update.. Can I crash at your place for like a year or so?

Jeff emailed me a few weeks ago, he was very prompt and courteous..

He did talk about showing it at AES.. I guess he meant San Fran, not Paris.

My bad..

He also talked about new features as well.

I would like to get my hands on a prototype just to test it out. If it delivers, which I am sure it will I could wait until the finished ones come out. But I need a mixer for right now in the meantime and I cant wait much longer,

But, you also have Tonelux out right now and the Portico guys may have something up their sleeves as well.

[email protected] me.. I have got some decisions to make.
Old 24th May 2006
  #8
Lives for gear
 
macr0w's Avatar
 

Boy! that's one sluty little rack you got there Twiddler.
Gearporn. Hang on I'll be right back. heh
Old 24th May 2006
  #9
Lives for gear
 
nobtwiddler's Avatar
Really sounds amazing....

Now now boys, lets not get tooooo excited.
haha

Like I said Geoff's mixer is the bomb!...
If I can just get him to make me the damn talkback, and fader pack I'd be a happy man.

Well, for a few days anyhow!

Cheers
Paul
Old 24th May 2006
  #10
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobtwiddler
And trying to get Geoff to answer phone calls or emails is almost impossible?
I realize he's a busy guy, and is basically a one man operation, but a reply once in a while with a HONEST answer on time frames would be much appreciated.
The problem is the sheer amount of emails that Geoff receives... people email this guy all day and night regarding vintage Neve products. So, for any reason if you have a hard time getting a hold of Geoff, feel free to call or email me. Consider me a buffer between the outside world and Geoff...

As far as time frames, that has been a major issue. But, I've met with Geoff and Alan and they are both working hard to get things done in a timely manner. We now have stock of GTQ's (which previously could be on backorder for 6 months), and will have stock of GTM's in October. Any other time frames is wishful thinking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobtwiddler
My other concern is if something were to happen to the unit while on a location what then???
Well, you can say the same for any piece of gear failing on location.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobtwiddler
That being said, Geoff is a great guy, and he builds wonderful products, if your only going to use the mixer for summing or just mixing, it's in a league all by itself.
It's the unit to get!
I agree Geoff is a truly special guy, who enjoys helping people... The gear that he makes is second to none! thumbsup
Old 25th May 2006
  #11
Lives for gear
 
nobtwiddler's Avatar
Buffer away~!

Tony;

"Consider me a buffer between the outside world and Geoff "
Ok, I will~!

If you would, could you please ask Geoff, what he thinks is a real estimate on getting a fader pack and the talkback module for my mixer.

It's actually a very important issue for me, since I'll be taking to the road in July with the remote rig, and have to decide soon whether or not to use the GTM-82 as the heart of the system.
Thanks in advance.

Paul Orofino
www.millbrooksoundstudios.com
Old 25th May 2006
  #12
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobtwiddler
Tony;

"Consider me a buffer between the outside world and Geoff "
Ok, I will~!

If you would, could you please ask Geoff, what he thinks is a real estimate on getting a fader pack and the talkback module for my mixer.

It's actually a very important issue for me, since I'll be taking to the road in July with the remote rig, and have to decide soon whether or not to use the GTM-82 as the heart of the system.
Thanks in advance.

Paul Orofino
www.millbrooksoundstudios.com
Sure... I'll send you a PM after the next time I speak to him.
Old 25th May 2006
  #13
Lives for gear
 
nobtwiddler's Avatar
Thanks buddy!

Much appreciated!

Paul
Old 25th May 2006
  #14
Lives for gear
 
heyman's Avatar
Thanks Tony for the clarification..
Old 25th May 2006
  #15
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobtwiddler
Thanks buddy!

Much appreciated!

Paul
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyman
Thanks Tony for the clarification..
Glad to help... thumbsup
Old 27th May 2006
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
You'll have to wait until San Francisco AES for that one...
Oh, I see. . .

So I guess when your old employer contacted me saying that the console was in stock, that must have been a prototype. Probably so, I didn't fall for it.

We need at least 16 channels anyway and won't gang two together.
Faders are ESSENTIAL and must be part of the package. Won't wait forever!

What's going on out in Hollywood?????????
Old 27th May 2006
  #17
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush
Oh, I see. . .

So I guess when your old employer contacted me saying that the console was in stock, that must have been a prototype. Probably so, I didn't fall for it.
You are correct. Also, the price this particular pre-production unit is being offered at is more than what the actual production units will cost... So, one might want to wait for the actual production units.
Old 29th May 2006
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Silvertone's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobtwiddler
Tony;

"Consider me a buffer between the outside world and Geoff "
Ok, I will~!

If you would, could you please ask Geoff, what he thinks is a real estimate on getting a fader pack and the talkback module for my mixer.

It's actually a very important issue for me, since I'll be taking to the road in July with the remote rig, and have to decide soon whether or not to use the GTM-82 as the heart of the system.
Thanks in advance.

Paul Orofino
www.millbrooksoundstudios.com
All right Paulie, are you finally going to make it up to Saratoga this year??? Even Levin made it up before you.

Nice little rig you got there. You should have really bought that Neve BCM10 of mine.

best regards,
Larry
Old 29th May 2006
  #19
Lives for gear
 
De chromium cob's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone
All right Paulie, are you finally going to make it up to Saratoga this year??? Even Levin made it up before you.

Nice little rig you got there. You should have really bought that Neve BCM10 of mine.

best regards,
Larry
I'll be up there before Paul makes it! heh Hey, maybe I'll stop by his studio on the way up and try some of those fine, fine beers of his and see if he wants a ride. Its looking like the weekend of the Jazz Fest at SPAC (24th/25th).
Old 29th May 2006
  #20
Lives for gear
 
nobtwiddler's Avatar
I'll make it sooner or later.....I promise!

Ok, Larry....
I'm gonna make it this year.
No fooling.....
Although probably not before Scott, (cause he knows the way) but I'll be there!
As long as I can still afford the damn gas to get there!

And Scott, comon by, just let me know in advance, and I'll chill a coupe of hundred beers for us!
Then neither of us will be going anywhere for a few days!
Haha
Paul

www.millbrooksoundstudios.com
Attached Thumbnails
Aurora GTM-822 - your thoughts?-bfg-5.jpg  
Old 29th May 2006
  #21
C/G
Lives for gear
 
C/G's Avatar
 

Nobtwiddler, off topic, but I noticed you ended up getting a 2108. How are you liking it? Back onto Aurora.
Old 29th May 2006
  #22
Lives for gear
 
nobtwiddler's Avatar
Love the sound of the 2108!

Colin;
I'm working towards getting 2 each of my favorite mic pre's for the 8 track rig I've just put together.
2 x Neve
2 x Trident (Daking)
2 x API
2 x EMI (Chandler)
2 x Helios
2 x Universal Audio

Almost there....

I love the sound of the 2108's on just about anything!
Btw....how's the summer brews up there?

Paul
www.millbrooksoundstudios.com
Old 29th May 2006
  #23
C/G
Lives for gear
 
C/G's Avatar
 

Not bad. I will send you a bottle of the Honey Thistlewit when it's happening. Glad your liking the 2108, it's a real sleeper if you ask me.
Old 31st May 2006
  #24
Lives for gear
 
Silvertone's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobtwiddler
Ok, Larry....
I'm gonna make it this year.
No fooling.....
Although probably not before Scott, (cause he knows the way) but I'll be there!
As long as I can still afford the damn gas to get there!

And Scott, comon by, just let me know in advance, and I'll chill a coupe of hundred beers for us!
Then neither of us will be going anywhere for a few days!
Haha
Paul

www.millbrooksoundstudios.com
Hi Paulie,

Tony P. and I were just talking about you yesterday. He's down for the count since they just operated on his knee. Touring is out for this summer. Maybe Tony and I will meet Scott at your place for a few beers and a night of debauchery.

Just come up when the pony's are running and you can win back that gas money!

I got a nice Helios F700 compressor to go with those mic pre's. Came out of the Rolling Stones remote truck, possibly one of the ones used to get Bohams "When The Leevee Breaks" sound (there were 4 comps in the console). Lot's of other little goodies like that as well.

See you soon.

best,
Larry
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump