The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
As I Lay Dying - Shadows Are Security..how???
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Nut

As I Lay Dying - Shadows Are Security..how???

I'm sure some of you listened to this album, and I really find it's sound so incredibely massive....if not the most massive of all i have heard....defenitely not metal style, but good, heavy and modern

so i wanted to see if any of you got some info about this recording? I think I read somewhere that they finally used trigered drums, but it was not intended in the beginning (you bet....)

the drums make it very powerful, but the guitars have this kind of separation....like they are balls coming out of left and right (balls of fire a rereally how I imagine them, round and so..), maybe a low pass?
bass is not that present, it resonates more to emphacize the low part of spectrum

what about the snare? how can such a snare exist? cut the mids?
bd has this kind of smack...reminds me of the beta91 but even a longer smack...and such fatness......yuck

anyway I know this is a ZzZzZ subject but it's making me crazy...if anybody got some info throw it in
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Yes, they are known for their drum triggers. The drummer "Jordan Mancino" is noted
for being able to execute complex bass drum patterns at very high speeds while playing
independent patterns in the hands, he's known for his double bass.
I actually haven't had the chance to see them live.

Others might chime in and tell you what they known about this record.

Just for some more info on the recorded, it was Steve Russell who engineered this
album at Big Fish, along with Andy Sneap mixing and mastering.
Old 24th May 2006
Here for the gear

Try asking on the Andy Sneap Forum, i'm sure they can anwser all your questions....Actually Andy himself is likely to anwser.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/f...play.php?f=151
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear
They used triggered drums on their prior album. it sounded bad..just samples the whole time. The new one has a much better mix to it I think.

Live, the band is very good..their drummer is great, but not mind blowing.
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Addict

Great Album
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

I will be honest. I really don't like As I Lay Dying at all...HOWEVER....I completely agree that this album is pretty crushing...that's why I added 2 tracks to my reference cd!

I'm always in awe of people who can bring that kind of clarity to those kinds of bands.
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

I'm doing a lot of metalcore stuff here. There have been at least three drummers this year who came and told me "please don't let me sound like AILD". It's very close to a programmed drumtrack.
Sneaps style to make his drumsounds 90% out of samples and 10% out of overheads is of course powerful, but it can sometimes sound like a comic.
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

A friend of mine told me they recorded the entire record with a drum machine and went to the studio and recorded real cymbals and drum samples and replaced the drum machine stuff with real samples and rerecorded all the snare rolls.

So its essentially a drummachine playing..

Listen to the guitars, they sound like they were done direct and chopped and lined up before reamping. If you wear headphones theres no variance between the left and right rythmn track... The bass is definetly edited heavily as well.

It almost sounds electronic its so perfect. Cool sound for what it is, but I wouldnt want everything to sound like that...
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Nut

I found part of the information...
guitar was Tube Screamer, Krank Revolution, Boogie Cab and a 57.
but that doesn't help me to know how it was made like that...must be andy's genius

maybe it was completely edited, but that is their choice, it surely helps to get heavier...

as for taking a drum machine and just doing the rolls, I would beleive it if the drummer was an ass...anyway I haven't seem them live, but if they come near I'll go and see ;P

TheSweetener: you got some really good tones going on in your studio
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

My friend is doing a side project with their singer and saw the setup they used... Definetly done on a drum machine.

Not saying thats bad or anything..
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Nut

ok ok....anyway that has not much to do with how it got so massive
samples must be part of the trick though...huge samples... =P
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

This album sounds big ! I love it ! thumbsup
The sound really sticks to the music style and that's what's great !

I know they recorded in US, and gave the tracks to Andy Sneap for him to mix it. He reamped the guitars, triggered the drums and mixed the whole thing.

SM57 + Cranesong Spider / Tube Screamer + Krank Revolution, tracked 4 times and I guess panned and Equed differently, that's the key.
I know that Andy uses a C2 on the mixbus, and also a TC Finalizer. He didn't do the mastering for that album, did it ? (who did it ??) The mastering should have helped a lot in that awesome sound I guess.

The samples he used are downloadable from his forum, they are very cutting and clear. The bass drum was sampled from a DW 24' bass drum.

That album sounds damn triggered, but it works very well for that one. Any other album with that same sound would not work for me.

If you like that kind of sound, you have to check out what Andy did on the two last Caliban CDs (that sound quite close), Killswitch Engage (not the same but great !), last Arch Enemy etc... but really Caliban is in the same ballpark (done with 5150 mostly, and JCM800 too), and the last one has a crushing-as-hell tone !!!!

I saw only one video from AILD, and the drummer is far from being very tight. All the double bass parts are slowed, and his snare striking isn't so good.
Guitarists, and singer are very good indeed.

I-Quality : i'd have liked that Stillrise song to sound a little like that, but less mechanical
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLy_drums
The samples he used are downloadable from his forum, they are very cutting and clear. The bass drum was sampled from a DW 24' bass drum.
could you please post a link to where I can download these samples?
Thanky you very much!
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Head

You can find the samples on Andy's forum at the above link someone posted.

That being said, I don't think Andy used the same samples that he posted on the forum on the AILD CD. The samples he posted were just from a session or band he was doing at the time. Then again, who knows. All I know is that CD sounds awesome.

Charlie
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear
Andy's cool..he will share samples and advice with other producers and mixers.
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

is this band still praising jesus in their songs?
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

I would also bet theres a good amount of the waves C4 plug in on the bass and guitars... Andy has a sample preset on his website for tightening guitars.

If you use his preset as a starting point and mess with it you can tighten the low end considerably so you can boost away without it getting too muddy...

Also MH channel strip on the drums for that digital sslish compression, which to me is a big part of andy's drum sound (and obviously his kickass sample library).

I think the work Andy does is incredible (not always my style). Especially since he isnt using racks of outboard gear or a huge supply of pricey mics. It gives me hope of mixing in the box..
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

I would also bet theres a good amount of the waves C4 plug in on the bass and guitars... Andy has a sample preset on his website for tightening guitars.

If you use his preset as a starting point and mess with it you can tighten the low end considerably so you can boost away without it getting too muddy...

Also MH channel strip on the drums for that digital sslish compression, which to me is a big part of andy's drum sound (and obviously his kickass sample library).

I think the work Andy does is incredible (not always my style). Especially since he isnt using racks of outboard gear or a huge supply of pricey mics. It gives me hope of mixing in the box..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search