The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Moog Slim Phatty + CP251 + Doepfer Darktime + 3 Moogerfooger FX's
Old 8th April 2012
Gear Head

Moog Slim Phatty + CP251 + Doepfer Darktime + 3 Moogerfooger FX's

Hi Guys,

Im new to the Moog Equipment. What do you guys think of this combo? What can i expect in terms of capabilities. Am I limited in trying to hook up all this gear together at the same time because of lack of CV inputs and too much equipment looking for input jacks?

thanks
Old 8th April 2012
Gear Maniac

let me put it this way. if you get all that stuff, you will not be "limited" when it comes to hooking up stuff in different ways. that's a recipe for a good time right thurrr.
Old 22nd May 2012
Gear Maniac

I don't quite get the CP251 and sequencer?
How much will the cp251 affect the sound of the SlimPhatty as it runs through the sequence?

I'm running an Oberkorn / Minitaur and have a CP251 also.... The CP dose not really affect the sound in the same was as if I played the Minitaur / CP straight with keys!!

Am I missing something?

Cant even sequence the white noise from the CP with the Oberkorn...
I don't know how the CP251 aids in a sequencer set up!
Old 22nd May 2012
Lives for gear
The cp-251 is a very deep piece of gear especially with multiple MF's. If you feel limited by these it is your own lack of creativity.
Old 22nd May 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfiltered420 View Post
The cp-251 is a very deep piece of gear especially with multiple MF's. If you feel limited by these it is your own lack of creativity.
I understand, but not helpfully.
I don't have multiple MF's.
I'm getting more out if the Oberkorn, minitaur and eventide space... Then adding the CP251 into the mix.

I will go through it all again... If I'm patching from the CP to the pitch on the minitaur then I miss the pitch control on the Oberkorn...

If I just run the cp and minitaur with keys I get more out of the cp... It dose not seem to add to a sequence?!

I'm 2 days in, sure... Considering axing the CP, unless someone could suggest why not
Old 22nd May 2012
Lives for gear
It takes a while to experiment with all the possibilities and capabilities. Not sure what you are asking though.
Old 22nd May 2012
Gear Maniac

Cheers. I appreciate time/learning.
At the moment the Oberkorn sequencer has 3 CV sequence lines.
So I can connect the Moog Minitaur's Filter and Pitch (all good).
Putting the CP251 into the mix I loose the ability to connect to my sequencer!?!
As the CP is now using the Minitaur's Pitch/Filter... Thus it's great to play with a keyboard but not sure how to sequence with it.

I'm researching like crazy, I have not come across anyone sequencing with a CP251 yet. I'll keep patching and thinking.

It cool if I'm on my own with this, was just curious about the similar set up above...

Should I continue with the CP251 or move it on? Do I need to add more gear for it to be useful (MF's).
Or else get another synth (say Telemark) for the Oberkorn and keep the Minitaur /CP seperatly...
Old 22nd May 2012
Lives for gear
It depends on what you are patching to the cp. You can use the cp to slide from note to note on the minitaur rather than discrete steps. You can add sample and hold to the filter. You can mult one of the Oberkorn's CV lines or add an LFO (you can even mix 2 waveforms and 2 other sources on the CP's mixer) which you can attenuate manually while the sequence is running. There are so many things you can do, like I said. If you can't wrap your head around it, read the CP's manual and learn about how you manipulate CV. And if you add just one MF, the possibilities multiply exponentially. That's the cool thing about modular synthesis, the limitations are only your capacity for imagination.
Old 22nd May 2012
Gear Maniac

I've read the manual over and over. And run all the prescribed patches.

I can but Slew (glide) on all 3 cv channels on the oberkorn. It sounds awesome. Running the Minitaur straight with the oberkorn sounds good. Running the oberkorn/cp251/minitaur sounds muddy.
Also the minitaur has 2 lfo's square and triangle waves... If I could runn the noise from the CP I'd be super happy....

I'll muck around with it further, but I don't think the oberkorn and moog cp suit each other. I wanted to trigger all my gear, so I might have to look into how the CP could fit the set up better... A bit confusing but I'll get thru it or sell it (which might be the option).
Old 22nd May 2012
Gear Maniac

[QUOTE=unfiltered420;You can mult one of the Oberkorn's CV lines or add an LFO (you can even mix 2 waveforms and 2 other sources on the CP's mixer)[/QUOTE]

hold on this might be interesting?
Old 22nd May 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfiltered420 View Post
You can mult one of the Oberkorn's CV lines
I missed the quote!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search