The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What mics to buy for drum overheads?
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Head

What mics to buy for drum overheads?

Ok, I have been engineering for about 6 years in some Pro/ Semi Pro Facilities so I know the usual 414, sm81, km84 etc... But, I'm really curious about what drum overheads are really working well regardless of price and not just old faithfulls that don't really sound all that wonderful, they just have become a staple in the home or pro studios.
(No I am not trashing the above listed mics) heh

I need to purchase some new overheads and am really wanting to find the amazing but affordable pair i.e. $1,000 or less give or take.

I have heard great things about the SE stuff and some things about the Groove Tubes stuff (Have had great vocal and acoustic results with the GT66) as well as Audio Technica and a hundred other brands, but when I hear some of the products in action they sound brittle and very lackluster, so I figured I'd come to all of you and see what you recommend.

(Current Gear List)
Computer, Controller and Software
Mac G5 dual 2.0
Radikal sac-2k
Pro Tools 7.1 / Digital Performer 4.5 and a bunch of other stuff
Pre's
4ch Amek 9098 RCMA
Presonus Digimax
Stock 002
Compressors
DBX 166
2 DBX 160x
Converters
Apogee Rosettaheh
Presonus Digimax
Monitors
Event Asp8's
Mics
2 Audix d2's
1 Audix d3
1 Audix d4
1 Audix d6
1 Audix i5
Audix Fusion Drum Mic Pack
2 Shure 57's
1 AT 3528
1 Groove Tubes GT66
1 Shure Beta 58
Thanks All,
Trent
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

I have had good results with the a matched pair of GT 33's as well as 44's. They would probably fall in your price range and also work well on other things too. If price is no issue for you then an AKG C-24 wouldn't suck. I have awesome results with that stereo mic as well.
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Maniac

Trent,

Is the Audix stuff really that bad?
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

there's about 10,000 ways to go.

i like ribbon mics a lot the last few years, but you'll need a killer room for that to really work. if you do, a stereo ribbon like the royer sf12 will do great. or if it's not that great a room, a pair of beyerdynamic m160s aren't figure of 8 mics so they won't get too much of the room.

on the large diaphragm condenser side of things, any quality mic will do. variable patterns can help as well. pretty much anything C414 or above will get some sort of a "great" sound, again, depending on the room. i've had success with BLUE Dragonfly Deluxes, KSM44s, C414B/TLIIs, U87s, soundelux ELUX251s, etc.

i typically use small diaphragm condensers on smaller kits, like a jazz setup. schoeps spot mics, josephsons, etc. will do a great job whereas something like a $300 pair of oktavas will have a tougher time getting proper results.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

another vote for Beyer M160's
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Josephsen C42's are a great matched pair
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Shure KSM32s !!!!!
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Maniac

Overheads for live recording?

With a full rock band raging in front of the drums?
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

AEA R84. As long as the kit itself sound good.

Stein Tore
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Maniac

we've gotten good results (thru hardy m-1s) with a pair of U87's, rode ntk's, AT4033's, and even the studio projects C4's. but we usually go to the 414 b-uls for overheads because they sound best in the mix.
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axiz7
Trent,

Is the Audix stuff really that bad?
Oh no... Absolutely not as far as the stuff outside the Fusion series which in itsself isn't bad at all for the money. The f12 overheads are just not cutting it for me. When you put mics that cheap through a 9098 and an apogee you really hear where you lacking.

As far as the other stuff goes, it is amazing. Put it side by side to 57's, 421's and e604's and let your jaw dropheh
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by transfiguration
With a full rock band raging in front of the drums?
Tends to be that way, but not always.
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Head

Obviously I favor 414s (the old ones) and a C24 or the josephsons' would be wonderful if it were an economical purchase.( I guess the josephson's aren't too expensive if you ebay them) However I feel that I could place the thousands of dollars that would go into that elsewhere for the time being. heh

Now the ksm 27s I've known to be brittle in the past, but that also is a lower line on the shure end than the ksm32.

Obviously the better the kit sounds, the easier it makes my job.

I have access to all of the higher end stuff sometimes, but not so much now because I am doing so much work from home and want want to make an economical purchase while still retaining exceptional quality.

I'll post some stuff soon that was recorded only with those fusion mics, a 57 and a d6
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan
we've gotten good results (thru hardy m-1s) with a pair of U87's, rode ntk's, AT4033's, and even the studio projects C4's. but we usually go to the 414 b-uls for overheads because they sound best in the mix.
Do those c4's actually sound good? They look really cheaply made
Old 23rd May 2006
Jai guru deva om

Beyerdynamic MC930 = very nice, detailed mic with a tight pattern. I used a pair recently on a jazz recording, the piano was like 4 feet from the drums and you really couldn't hear the piano. Can be had for well under a grand anyhow.

The Studio Projects C4 are actually very nice on overheads, not overly bright etc and a pleasing midrange. The omni caps make it a nice versatile set, and those omni caps sound HUGE with a very big bottom thing happening.

War
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

How often do u record live kit ? If its really an important project, I'd hire a pair of U67's for kit OH's ... man, what a sound !
Back up is my old (silver) pair of 414's or a pair of KM184i's ... R84 as room mic in front of kit (squash it with a SSL talkback comp. come mixtime) ... heh
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm
Shure KSM32s !!!!!
Yes. Right on budget too.
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

The ultimate, in my experience, has been the C12 or Wunder Cm12s. Pretty hard to beat these. A close second would be the KM84s. I like M160s for drums, but not over the kit...
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

AKG 451's
Old 24th May 2006
w2w
Lives for gear

I'll second the AKG 451's , great bang for the buck.
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Avenson STO-2
I like mine ove many others
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Look for a pair of AKG C460's, the predecessor to the current C480. They're modular (you can still buy all the CK-6x capsules, which AKG still makes for the 480). I love the tone of these. Not too clean or sterile, but nicely accurate and very musical.

I used to have KM84's but I could never get the 'focus' from them the way I wanted... they just always seemed a little blurry or smeared somehow. The 460's are very focused and detailed while still being smooth and attractive. These are not so bright as the C451/452 series before them.

Also, these tend to sell for very reasonable prices. With the cardioid capsule (CK-61) they sold new for around $550-600 each, but they now sell for much less. The last one I bought was off ebay a couple of years ago and I think I paid like $250 for it in essentially perfect condition. I don't know what the prices are like now, but I'm guessing they're still quite reasonable.

Wonderful on overheads and also one of my favorites on acoustic guitars.

Joel
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Another vote for a pair of 414 B-ULS or B-XLS

They are a fairly versatile mic that can be used for lots of other applications as well.
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudzu
How often do u record live kit ?
pretty much alot. I get my fair share of Hip Hop so it'd be nice to have some versatile mic's that could work well on vox or other stuff.
heh
Old 24th May 2006
tsd
Gear Maniac

good U67s are absolutly stunning.

you realy cant go wrong with 414's they are about as solid as 57s on snares!!!

lets put it this way... ive never recorded sucky overheads with 414's.

at risk of sounding like a tool, the room and the kit are so much more important.... i got good results once with a pair of NTK's. then in a different studio with a different kit i pulled the worst overheads ive ever heard.
Old 24th May 2006
tsd
Gear Maniac

by the way... nice to see someone else rocking my name in the studio!!! i usually get trentus (the apprentice), but trizzent for shizzile!!!

trent
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear
I really like the Shure SM81's for overheads.
Anyone else use them?
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Addict

i got an AEA R88 stereo ribbon last week and i think it has one of the best overhead sounds ive ever heard, it seems to make the kit sound absolutely huge and the cymbals very detailed and yummy! i recorded a kit with a band playing in the same room, there was an obvious blead from the guitars due to the polar patternbut as it seems to make everything sound nice who cares!
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Either Beyer M160s or AEA R88
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Guru

The Earthworks SROs seem to be my new pick for overheads. I also got the drum pad (for the kick not the overheads) with it and it seems to work pretty well.

Glenn

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search